PDA

View Full Version : Bush cure for Hemlock poisoning

MCBushbaby
10-11-2007, 12:24 AM
THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION

I was reading in an old book that tannic acid should be used to counteract hemlock poisoning, followed by stimulants to keep the victim awake and their core temperature up. This got me to thinking about my acorn boiling sessions and all that wash water (containing tannic acid) I used to throw away...

Now, HYPOTHETICALLY, if one was to mistake hemlock for wild carrot or parsnip and ingest a lethal dose, could they presumably gorge on acorn nutmeat as a temporary solution? Of course, not to the point of negating the coniin and instead suffering from an overdose of tannic acid, but you get my point.

You can die from hemlock poisoning within 3 hours so DO NOT TRY THIS. With that said, anything that could delay death until you could huff it back to town would be well worth investigating (research, no experiment). Has anyone heard of this 'cure'?

corndog-44
10-15-2007, 02:16 AM
I have heard of the tannic acid cure but I don't put much faith in it. The only way that I know what a person could do to extend the time to 10-12 hours would be to induce vomiting, then take a little wood charcoal mixed with water.