PDA

View Full Version : Les quits in Kalahari

saiga7
10-07-2007, 09:11 PM
so basically, if that was a real situation and no help arrives....and there's no safety camp "just a few hours walk away"...he'd be dead? same goes for most of the scenarios in his shows since he focuses mostly on staying put and waiting for help to arrive.

just like the Korean guy who got stuck in a snow drift in Oregon. they were lighting signal fires, the tires, etc... but after 6 days, running out of resources and things got desperate (especially with his wife and infant child), he had to go for help and died.

pilgrim
10-08-2007, 02:44 AM
yeah he is starting to dissapoint me

SOE digital
10-08-2007, 07:52 AM
yeah he is starting to dissapoint me

Yes, because you'd have done much better.

Idiot.

pilgrim
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Idiot? my point is that he is starting to use more and more gear and seems to be moving farther away from surviving naturally. Dont get me wrong you should use anything you can find to help you survive but what if you dont have all of those luxuries?

ryaninmichigan
10-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Idiot.

Why the name calling?

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe he is finaly getting the real picture, you don't have to be naive and go out into the wilds with nothing but a sheepish smile.

The best way is to teach/show beginners how to survive comfortably with knowledge and equipment and when they are competant start exploring the more simple/spartan aspects of survival.
Gradualy improving your skill and competance through experience.

Many are refering to the Korean fellow who lost his life and endangered the lives of his wife and child. Hero I don't think so, when you deliberatly go out and expose your self to a risky situation without first getting a modicum of knowledge (survival, road condition, road access), equipment (car kit, clothes, sleeping bags etc..), extra foods, thing happen. His family came out of it alright, he unfortunately succumb to exposure, to sad to be anything else.
Last Dec we came accross exactly such a situation with an African proffessor who had driven off the road in a snow storm with nothing at all as far as kit, clothes (summer weight), food, emergency car supplies, etc... His family would have ended up as popsicles by next morning if we hadn't come along, they were already showing signs of hypothermia, we got them warmed up, hydrated, fed, and extracted them from the ditch, followed them out to the nearest town. Could have easily been like the Korean fellow, they fortunately didn't have to pay the price.
Ray Mears, Ron Hood and others try to teach real skills, not just "flash" effect of wilderness/urban survival, dull maybe but it will get you out if you pay attention and practise.

saiga7
10-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Many are refering to the Korean fellow who lost his life and endangered the lives of his wife and child. Hero I don't think so, when you deliberatly go out and expose your self to a risky situation without first getting a modicum of knowledge (survival, road condition, road access), equipment (car kit, clothes, sleeping bags etc..), extra foods, thing happen. His family came out of it alright, he unfortunately succumb to exposure, to sad to be anything else.

wait now, i could be wrong...but from what i've read, this Korean guy, his wife and infant child....STAYED put for about 6 days. they were doing things like burning their tires and parts of their car for warmth, signaling, etc... they must have had food in the car too... but after SIX days with an infant child, they must have ran out of things to burn for warmth and/or ran out of food. what would YOU do if your child and wife were in that situation where help hasn't arrived or may never arrive?

not sure whether he was a survivalist or anything, but he did the right thing of staying still until his supplies ran out. and his dead body was found which was how they found his stranded wife and child. maybe he wrote a note about them and put it in his wallet.

you question his foresight of packing for a road trip during the snow season in Oregon....but he did manage to keep 3 people alive for 6 days in the freezing cold....so he must have planned adequately for clothing, food, blankets, etc....for 6 days....that's a lot of days. actually more than 6 days, because he wife and child were still alive when rescued. my guess was that the kid was going to die because they're running out of food. what would any father do in such situation?

saiga7
10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Ray Mears, Ron Hood and others try to teach real skills, not just "flash" effect of wilderness/urban survival, dull maybe but it will get you out if you pay attention and practise.

i wouldn't call any of these shows dull. but Bear's show focuses more on finding a way out....and fast, which is also just as relevant as Les' show focusing on staying put and waiting for help for 7 days.

not saying that Les couldn't do the same should he have a camera crew lugging all the equipment for him.....but one significant factor is that Bear is an accomplished climber. one of the best to have been able to climb Mt. Everest. and this climbing skills gives him an edge over Les in all terrains. i've never climbed big rocks before, nor plan to...but should i get stuck in such situation....Bear's show have taught me some techniques for climbing, while Les have not.

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Where the Korean gentlemen was stranded, from an airphoto showed was heavily wooded area.
Question being, why not make a shelter, use wood to heat instead of his tires...
Not dumping on him but he was where he couldn't handle the situation. His wife and child were found and subsequently he was, he not really that far from the area where the vehicle was stranded.
the idea is that he totaly out of his element he should have stayed on an interstate or delayed until the storm had past.
Hindsight is great but foresight is better.
This is just to show that knoledge and trainning will enhance your chance but life in itself is not safe, so s**t happens
Bear also showed you to jump into water when you didn't know the bottom..
Oh yes running from a perceived grizzly?
When false techniques are shown then which one should I believe thereafter? Especialy if I am not knowledgable in that aspect to start of with.
I will stay with the less flashy instructors..kind of reminds me of the tortoise and the hare.

Sarge47
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Maybe he is finaly getting the real picture, you don't have to be naive and go out into the wilds with nothing but a sheepish smile.

The best way is to teach/show beginners how to survive comfortably with knowledge and equipment and when they are competant start exploring the more simple/spartan aspects of survival.
Gradualy improving your skill and competance through experience.

Last Dec we came accross exactly such a situation with an African proffessor who had driven off the road in a snow storm with nothing at all as far as kit, clothes (summer weight), food, emergency car supplies, etc... His family would have ended up as popsicles by next morning if we hadn't come along, they were already showing signs of hypothermia, we got them warmed up, hydrated, fed, and extracted them from the ditch, followed them out to the nearest town. Could have easily been like the Korean fellow, they fortunately didn't have to pay the price.

I agree here. There's nothing wrong with carrying as much gear as you can, provided you don't overdo. Survival isn't some game where you try to see who can go out into the woods with the least amount of equipment, it's being as prepared as you possibly can!:cool:

Sarge47
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Idiot.

SOE, please respect the rules and knock off the name-calling, okay? Chris has posted the rules and that one is a violation. I don't want to see you get in trouble. We know where you're coming from anyway.:rolleyes:

Fog_Harbor
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree here. There's nothing wrong with carrying as much gear as you can, provided you don't overdo. Survival isn't some game where you try to see who can go out into the woods with the least amount of equipment, it's being as prepared as you possibly can!:cool:

Here, here! It's the numpties with nothing that end up dead more often than not. My jeep is packed at all times with enough for me and mine to live reasonably comfortable for several days. It'd be remiss NOT to.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Where the Korean gentlemen was stranded, from an airphoto showed was heavily wooded area.
Question being, why not make a shelter, use wood to heat instead of his tires...

maybe wood/heat was not his concern for leaving his location.

SIX days. six days is a lot to plan for food on a road trip. even a camping trip, that's a hell of a long time and lots of food to plan for 2 adults and a baby. yet, they sustained for 6 days. it was probably due to running out of baby food and or formula. during the dead of winter, what's his chance of finding food? look how successful Les has been at finding food in the snow climates. and he can't just give an infant child Doritos.

Not dumping on him but he was where he couldn't handle the situation. His wife and child were found and subsequently he was, he not really that far from the area where the vehicle was stranded.

no, his dead body lead the rescuers to his wife and child. he probably wrote a note and left it in his wallet should he not make it (as that's the first thing someone would check..his identity).

the idea is that he totaly out of his element he should have stayed on an interstate or delayed until the storm had past.
Hindsight is great but foresight is better.

i'm only here, on a survival forum is due to watching Les and Bear....thus a complete noob. before this, i didn't even know why you shouldn't sweat in a freezing climate during a survival situation. lots of people still risks it to go skiing, etc. because they've planned it w/work, etc. and didn't know how deadly the weather can be. you're asking a lot from this Korean guy who's probably just a regular guy from the city..yet still managed to sustain his family for 6 days. that's more than Les because there were 2 adults and an infant.

This is just to show that knoledge and trainning will enhance your chance but life in itself is not safe, so s**t happens

true. and your mind would falter even more when you've got a crying infant that's not getting the adequate feeding after 6 days.

Bear also showed you to jump into water when you didn't know the bottom..

wait, are you talking about one of the shows in Season 2? i just saw it and he used a vine and rock to measure the depth before he jumped. and he clearly stated that the last time he jumped w/o measuring (no for the show), he hurt his back and will never do it again.

also, Bear is an extreme adventurist....watching his show does not mean that i can accomplish nor should even attempt the more dangerous things that he does. just like how i can watch the UFC and still learn from their techniques but not necessarily need to attempt everything that they do on TV.

Oh yes running from a perceived grizzly?
When false techniques are shown then which one should I believe thereafter? Especialy if I am not knowledgable in that aspect to start of with.
I will stay with the less flashy instructors..kind of reminds me of the tortoise and the hare.

still doesn't answer the initial question....Les failed to survive for 7 days and had to walk to the "designated safety camp". this is just as fake as a guy in a bear suit. there is no designated safety camp if it were for real. and the premise of Les' show is to survive for 7 days...why is this better than Bear finding his way out in 2-3 days? they're both a tossup. because Les would have been dead there weren't any designated safety camp.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Here, here! It's the numpties with nothing that end up dead more often than not. My jeep is packed at all times with enough for me and mine to live reasonably comfortable for several days. It'd be remiss NOT to.

this Korean guy in question sustained himself, his wife and infant child for SIX DAYS in the dead of winter. i'm pretty sure he had more food than you in his car.

criticalmass
10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
The Korean guy did not have a note on him. It was found on a road. His body did not lead the rescuers to his family. His family was found first and then his body two day later. They were not prepared for the situation. They had urban clothes. They were on a vacation so they had suitcases full of clothes. Pure accident. They had crackers and baby food, and berries from nearby. They did not have plenty of food.

The whole point is that the Korean guy put himself in a situation he was not prepared for. He tried to take a shortcut and it didn't work. No one is denying that what he did was amazing.

And Les had an option so I'm sure he was far from his limit.

Sarge47
10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
this Korean guy in question sustained himself, his wife and infant child for SIX DAYS in the dead of winter. i'm pretty sure he had more food than you in his car.

Uh, Saiga, we have another thread, or several of them actually for the "Bear vs. Les" debate. Please move your comments over to one of those. You're really going out on a limb here trying to defend someone you don't even know and who certainly doesn't know you. Bear can run through HIS survival course because he has his "people" with him constantly, and when it gets tough going he heads for a local Inn. Les knows when to call it quits because there is no earthly reason to have a "survival" show where the dude dies. Not to mention the liability problems the Discovery network would face. As far as the "Kim" family goes how do you know so much about them, were you there? my kid brother knew Mr' Kim from his buisness with the Caterpiller corporation and Mr. Kim was a total Nimrod out in the woods who made a serious mistake that cost him his life and nearly the lives of his family. Let's try to learn here from every one else's teaching as well as their mstakes and not turn this into a debating forum, OK?:cool:

saiga7
10-09-2007, 12:20 PM
another question about Les' show. if his premise was to stay situated for 7 days and wait for rescue....why doesn't he make a signal fire on every show and keep it going? especially during the daytime when he should have a separate smoke fire (while at night he's got the campfire that's visable).

if he had to double his effort in gathering wood for the signal fire...imagine the extra complaining about how hot, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, etc...he is because of having to find extra wood. then after he's done complaining.... he'd play some blues on his harmonica...which is music about complaining.

and has any rescuer mistakenly come to help him because they saw his fire at night....ever? not to my knowledge from any of the shows at all. and he doesn't show us how to look for a way out and/or more effectively look for water.

while Bear stages some of his activities....but the key point is that he's explaining the techniques of achieving them. ie. when he recently saw 2 trouts in that stream. they were probably put their by the crew.....but i never even thought about barricade the fishes in like that until i saw the show. while with Les, you just hear him whine about not being able to catch anything.

so in a real desert survival situation with limited water (because nobody goes on a hike or a dirtbike ride with even a gallon water), it's still a coin toss whether to stay put and wait for rescue or to go out and find (or get closer) to civilization. i find both shows valuable.

carcajou garou
10-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Saiga7, Kim was found after his family, if he would have stayed he would have been Ok, cold but Ok.
They weren't ready, they were returning from a thanksgiving weekend. They weren't bush wise.

As for how much food I carry well I'm anal on that and other points we carry over a weks worth plus water. The vehicle is "bush ready" all the time.

As I have stated before I have taken out others in very similar circumstances and have never lost anyone under my watch.

Spent way to much time in the bush guiding people out and getting to old to argue my point.

You don't want listen fine.
Enjoy your life.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 12:34 PM
The Korean guy did not have a note on him. It was found on a road. His body did not lead the rescuers to his family. His family was found first and then his body two day later. They were not prepared for the situation. They had urban clothes. They were on a vacation so they had suitcases full of clothes.

do you have a link to all of this. i've been searching for it as i'm very interested in reading about it. notice how i said in my post that "i could be wrong" about my recollection of this story. i remember reading a memorial page about him on a high tech product website....as he was an employee there. did he say in the car for 6 days before trekking out on his own?

Pure accident. They had crackers and baby food, and berries from nearby. They did not have plenty of food.

this further proves my point then that he did what ANY father with a starving, cold.... infant and desperate wife would have done by going out for help.

And Les had an option so I'm sure he was far from his limit.

how far? he only managed to get a thimble sized water extraction from his urine and the plastic bag on a tree. he was complaining about serious dehydration, thus had to quit and head for the safety camp. if that situation were real, he'd be in a hell of a lot of trouble. with ZERO water, he would have had to go look for some in his dehydrated state......how long would he have lasted from that point? while Bear would have started out fresh with water, looking for a way out on day 1.

EDIT: here, i found a bunch of links form where James Kim worked (C-Net.com)

http://tinyurl.com/2a9nps

he was lost for 11 DAYS. himself, wife, 4 yr old daughter and 7 month old daughter.

nobody can say that 11 days with a wife, a child and an infant is not an accomplishment. any father would have trekked out like he did after the food was gone.

and it was his FOOTPRINTS in the snow that lead the rescuers to his car to save his wife and children.

did he make mistakes, sure. but survived pretty well given his situation...and for kept his wife and children alive for 11 days is quite an accomplishment....with maybe his last, saving them.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Saiga7, Kim was found after his family, if he would have stayed he would have been Ok, cold but Ok.
They weren't ready, they were returning from a thanksgiving weekend. They weren't bush wise.

As for how much food I carry well I'm anal on that and other points we carry over a weks worth plus water. The vehicle is "bush ready" all the time.

As I have stated before I have taken out others in very similar circumstances and have never lost anyone under my watch.

Spent way to much time in the bush guiding people out and getting to old to argue my point.

You don't want listen fine.
Enjoy your life.

well, the premise of my thread is questioning what Les is teaching on his show and how staying situated may not always be the wisest choice.

i'm not questioning your abilities, but unless you can tell the future, i don't see how you can predict such a situation such as this episode with Les in the Kalahari desert.

and my main argument about the Korean guy is that he did what most fathers would do in such a situation with an infant child and wife ....after SIX days in the cold....which was to go find help.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Uh, Saiga, we have another thread, or several of them actually for the "Bear vs. Les" debate. Please move your comments over to one of those. You're really going out on a limb here trying to defend someone you don't even know and who certainly doesn't know you. Bear can run through HIS survival course because he has his "people" with him constantly, and when it gets tough going he heads for a local Inn.

my point is that both shows have their merits and flaws. but you and others here don't seem to want to hear anything bad about Les.

Les knows when to call it quits because there is no earthly reason to have a "survival" show where the dude dies.

which is why Bear has a crew to watch his back when he makes riskier moves than Les. and i'm not asking that Les tries to finish the show and risk death....i'm arguing that whether or not his premise of almost always staying situated is the best choice.

Not to mention the liability problems the Discovery network would face. As far as the "Kim" family goes how do you know so much about them, were you there? my kid brother knew Mr' Kim from his buisness with the Caterpiller corporation and Mr. Kim was a total Nimrod out in the woods who made a serious mistake that cost him his life and nearly the lives of his family.

sorry but i think your kid brother was wrong. here, i just found the info on Kim (who works for C-Net) ....a ton of info:

http://www.news.com/James-Kim-found-deceased/2100-1028_3-6141498.html?tag=news.3

apparently, Kim was stranded for ELEVEN DAYS with his wife, 4 yr old daughter and 7 months old child.

quite pompous of you to call him a Nimrod when he managed to keep his family alive for 11 DAYS.

and it was his FOOTPRINTS in the snow that helped rescuers find his family

http://www.news.com/Searchers-keep-up-hunt-for-CNET-editor-in-rugged-terrain/2100-1028_3-6140676.html

Let's try to learn here from every one else's teaching as well as their mstakes and not turn this into a debating forum, OK?:cool:

i don't disagree with learning, which is why i'm here. but i'm not going to follow like a sheep which is what you seem to want me to by saying that i shouldn't debate anyone's points...... and just accept it as gospel?

saiga7
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
here, i found a bunch of links form where James Kim worked (C-Net.com)

http://tinyurl.com/2a9nps

http://tinyurl.com/2g3lnw (interview with his wife about their ordeal)

he was lost for 11 DAYS. himself, wife, 4 yr old daughter and 7 month old daughter.

nobody can say that 11 days with a wife, a child and an infant is not an accomplishment. any father would have trekked out like he did after the food was gone.

and it was his FOOTPRINTS in the snow that lead the rescuers to his car to save his wife and children.

did he make mistakes, sure. but survived pretty well given his situation...and to kept his wife and children alive for 11 days is quite an accomplishment....with maybe his last, saving them.

Baxter
10-09-2007, 01:32 PM
saiga7, how much longer would you like to have seen les go in that desert? in my eyes, i do not think he 'quit'. his health and well being was in jeopardy FOR REAL, not to exaggerate for the show like bear would. there is a point where there is surviving to film a show, and surviving to actually SURVIVE. and the point at which les decided to leave was that time. besides, what normal person would not have done what he had done if they had the chance. you must learn to appreciate what he is trying to do.
until then you can learn survival techniques from bear and his scouted locations, scripted scenes, and remember to tip for room service.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 01:39 PM
saiga7, how much longer would you like to have seen les go in that desert? in my eyes, i do not think he 'quit'. his health and well being was in jeopardy FOR REAL, not to exaggerate for the show like bear would. there is a point where there is surviving to film a show, and surviving to actually SURVIVE. and the point at which les decided to leave was that time. besides, what normal person would not have done what he had done if they had the chance. you must learn to appreciate what he is trying to do.
until then you can learn survival techniques from bear and his scouted locations, scripted scenes, and remember to tip for room service.

i'm not asking Les to risk death just to make a show. i'm questioning the premise of his show....which is to stay situated and wait for help....always being the best choice.

and my other question is, why doesn't he ever focus on maintaining a separate smoke signaling fire during the daytime?

and why hasn't any rescuers mistakenly came to his rescue (since he has a night campfire going)?

therfore, if this were a real situation, he would die because he exhausted all of his water and strength to stay in one place. while Bear starts searching for a way out on day 1 while he's fresh and with water.

notice how you and other quickly come to the defense of Les and as always, starts to rip on Bear. while i'm saying that both shows have their merits and flaws.

carcajou garou
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Read the report again his wife and kids were spotted walking down the road away from the car, at least 2 days before they found him. It is not about how many days stranded (remember the rules of 3's...you can live 3 weeks without food). It is about being needlessly stranded in the first place, there was warning signs that they neglected to take into consideration, even the map had warnings
about blocked roads.
You say as a father he walked out to save his family, I can't stop thinking as a father shouldn't he have taken preparation.
When my family went to Asia some years ago I read, talked to experts on what to expect and bring along (told you I was anal) we did Ok, a few glitches but nothing that we couldn't handle.
You seem a romantic glorifying lost causes, we are all sorry the Bear Grylls did not live up to his TV persona in real life but facts are facts.
Were sorry Mr Kim wasn't better prepared or knowledgeable.
Learn from their mistakes instead of gloryfing the failures.
We can tell you are pro Bear anti Les, neither is a shinning example of what to do, one shows flash...the other unecessary toughness.

I know Sarge what I said but for the same reason I canoe, walk, drive out stranded people still, can't help myself.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Read the report again his wife and kids were spotted walking down the road away from the car, at least 2 days before they found him.

sorry but you're wrong about the first part. http://www.news.com/Searchers-keep-up-hunt-for-CNET-editor-in-rugged-terrain/2100-1028_3-6140676.html

"Authorities said search teams, including a helicopter equipped with night vision capabilities, worked through the night Monday to locate James Kim, whose footprints are visible in some spots."

"Trackers had been following his footprints, Anderson said Tuesday, but that got more difficult as they reached areas of dirt and rocks."

"We have two Forest Service officers that are following the footprints the best they can. We will be out all night,"

it was his FOOTPRINTS that kept searchers in the right vicinity of his stranded car. they found the car first obviously because it was larger.

It is not about how many days stranded (remember the rules of 3's...you can live 3 weeks without food).

does this apply to a 4 year old child and a 7 month old infant? how about the freezing cold and their difficulty of getting dry firewood to keep a fire going?

"Searchers also said the conditions in the canyon were such that rescuers got soaked within 30 minutes of descending into it. The rescue workers were wearing protective gear;" http://tinyurl.com/2a9nps

It is about being needlessly stranded in the first place, there was warning signs that they neglected to take into consideration, even the map had warnings about blocked roads.

You say as a father he walked out to save his family, I can't stop thinking as a father shouldn't he have taken preparation.

again, not everybody is you. he was a city geek who went on a roadtrip.

You seem a romantic glorifying lost causes, we are all sorry the Bear Grylls did not live up to his TV persona in real life but facts are facts.

i watch his show to learn techniques. just like i watch the UFC for certain techniques also. doesn't necessarily mean that i'd have to take all of their advice nor attempt them in a real life situation.

Were sorry Mr Kim wasn't better prepared or knowledgeable.

he managed to keep himself, his wife and 2 young daughters alive over 9 days + 2 days (not incl. himself since he died). this is quite an accomplishment given the conditions and his background.

Learn from their mistakes instead of gloryfing the failures.

from his wife's interview, it seems that they were lost, got bad directions, were not warned by the gas attendant.....and didn't see the signs. even if they saw the road warning signs....most citypeople wouldn't know how serious they are and would keep going. the only people who knows are people like yourself, people who lives there and people who got their butts stuck in it once but survived it to never do it again.

you keep talking down on him because this is your hobby, lifestyle, expertise, or profession.....but the average cityperson like him would have no clue.....i would call him a dumbass if he purposefully sought some stupid adventure by doing this....but he didn't. he just made very common mistakes while on a roadtrip.

We can tell you are pro Bear anti Les, neither is a shinning example of what to do, one shows flash...the other unecessary toughness.

i've stated many times that both shows are with merits and flaws and that i like them both. you are the one who's anti-Bear and would coming to defense of Les merely by my posting a few simple questions.

can you tell me then...why Les never focuses on maintaining a daytime smoke signal fire then if the premise of his show is to stay situated and wait for help?

and why has there never been any rescuers who mistakenly come to his aid?

and what happens after 7 days when you run out of water and are on the verge of dying from dehydration because you stayed situated and help never arrived? ....and are now too weak to go trekking in the desert?

criticalmass
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
i'm not asking Les to risk death just to make a show. i'm questioning the premise of his show....which is to stay situated and wait for help....always being the best choice.

I seem to recall several episodes where he doesn't stay put.

and my other question is, why doesn't he ever focus on maintaining a separate smoke signaling fire during the daytime?

He is not really trying to be rescued. Why is it never mentioned? Editing? Can't answer that.

and why hasn't any rescuers mistakenly came to his rescue (since he has a night campfire going)?

Ever notice how hard a time rescuers have finding people they know are lost? Why would rescuers just happen to be out and about near his filming location.? He would have to have a permit to do his show in most places so the appropriate authourities will already know he is there and that he is not a lost hiker.

therfore, if this were a real situation, he would die because he exhausted all of his water and strength to stay in one place. while Bear starts searching for a way out on day 1 while he's fresh and with water.

It was not a real situation. They are both TV shows. One which is far closer to reality than the other.

notice how you and other quickly come to the defense of Les and as always, starts to rip on Bear. while i'm saying that both shows have their merits and flaws.

Yes. They both have their merits and flaws. Bear's show's major flaw happens to be that they are farther from reality and only a short step from being a fictional movie. As long as you know what to take from each show you will be fine. Problem is, what do you believe from a guy that is full of sh!t. If someone doesn't have any experience then they don't know what to retain. If you don't have any experience with a particular bull sh!ter then you don't know he is feeding you full of it until it is too late. If you can't trust the information you are receiving, find a different source.

.......and make no mistake, James Kim knew he was going to die. He didn't think anyone was coming and he had no choice.

carcajou garou
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Whish I could use those quote buttons, would make thing so much easier.

Pretty much have said what I intended.

No one is glad Mr Kim died, he leaves behind a wife and 2 children (i think)
life happens.

nuff said by me

trax
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Seriously, I'm at the point where I see this stuff between Les and Bear and whoever the heck else, and all I want to do is yawn. Watching CSI isn't going to qualify me to do a post-mortem on a murder victim, know what I mean? If you want to learn survival skills, get outdoors and practice some. If you're a total newb, then start with small adventures close to home and build from their. Ask the people who are really out there doing it, there must be someone around. I've probably only offered that viewpoint about...oh 200 times in here...but seriously, they're both done for tv. TV=entertainment, be entertained or don't watch.

As far as this family in Oregon goes, the man's dead people, leave them alone, please. The only possible good that can come from it is if someone else learns from his mistakes, and that's something we can all contemplate silently.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I seem to recall several episodes where he doesn't stay put.

yes, that's true, he does explore within a small distance to find food & water. but he doesn't instruct on how to find civilization.

He is not really trying to be rescued. Why is it never mentioned? Editing? Can't answer that.

then if his only goal is to survive for 7 days in the same general area, then this would be fatal if it were a real situation in the desert. and i did hear him say a few times in Season one that his goal was to show us how to survive, wait and be rescued.

Ever notice how hard a time rescuers have finding people they know are lost? Why would rescuers just happen to be out and about near his filming location.?

yes, which is why i posed the question of how likely is it to get rescued in the desert should you GAMBLE and wait in one place like Les and exhausting all of your water and strength to the point where it's too late to go out and look for help because you're too dehydrated and weak.

Bear's show, he starts out immediately looking for a way out while he's fresh and with water. not to say that this is guaranteed to be a better gamble....i'm just saying that both shows are good and insightful.

He would have to have a permit to do his show in most places so the appropriate authourities will already know he is there and that he is not a lost hiker.

unless he gives them an exact coordinate and he always stays there (which you've pointed out that he doesn't), then they are not really sure and cannot take the chance that it may well be a lost hiker. and should they see a signal fire, they would investigate....after all, they're already in an airplane and flying by......but Les never sees any of these rescue planes....which leads me to believe that sitting and waiting may not always be the best option.

It was not a real situation. They are both TV shows. One which is far closer to reality than the oth

your opinion. i find that a guy in bear suit used to simulate an encounter with a bear being the same as Les always knowing where the safety camp is.

Yes. They both have their merits and flaws. Bear's show's major flaw happens to be that they are farther from reality and only a short step from being a fictional movie. As long as you know what to take from each show you will be fine. Problem is, what do you believe from a guy that is full of sh!t.

see, here's you showing your bias. you start out sound fair but ended it with Bear being full of ****.

If someone doesn't have any experience then they don't know what to retain. If you don't have any experience with a particular bull sh!ter then you don't know he is feeding you full of it until it is too late. If you can't trust the information you are receiving, find a different source.

ok, i have ZERO experience. never even camped in the woods. why don't you ask me specific questions about Bear's show and i'll try to answer them using logic. otherwise you're just showing your prejudice.

.......and make no mistake, James Kim knew he was going to die. He didn't think anyone was coming and he had no choice.

this was my opinion also.

Baxter
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
he doesn't light a signal fire during the day because whats the use of him going out there to film if he will be 'rescued' on the second day. that would be a 10 minute episode after editing is done. and les doesn't just sit there and wait, most of the time he has a location he must reach within the 7 days to meet up with his crew, if he isn't there on the seventh day his crew have to go looking for him. also, remember les is out for seven consecutive days doing all the filming himself which uses two or three times more energy than normal to get all the shots he gets. and bear has 5 days (probably not consecutive) out there with a film crew in tow, which is also his safety crew.
you complain about les having a safety crew a few hours away, meanwhile bear has his with him the entire time.
meh, i don't care anymore...i'm gonna go practice with my fire plow.

saiga7
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
he doesn't light a signal fire during the day because whats the use of him going out there to film if he will be 'rescued' on the second day.

well he has a fire lit constantly on most nights and that would attract rescue planes should they be flying nearby.

and the premise of his show is sit and wait for rescue. but rescuers never come by or even fly by. which leads me to question whether or not staying situated and wait for help is always the best choice.

that would be a 10 minute episode after editing is done. and les doesn't just sit there and wait, most of the time he has a location he must reach within the 7 days to meet up with his crew, if he isn't there on the seventh day his crew have to go looking for him. also, remember les is out for seven consecutive days doing all the filming himself which uses two or three times more energy than normal to get all the shots he gets. and bear has 5 days (probably not consecutive) out there with a film crew in tow, which is also his safety crew.

true on some shows he travels. but he travels on a set course to a known safety location. while Bear gives insight on how to navigate towards civilization from a perspective of a completely lost person. he may have had the whole area mapped out and studied it beforehand....or stage it like the Hawaiian volcano episode....like you said...it's a TV show.....so no reason for Bear to get lost for a month with a camera crew in the woods.

you complain about les having a safety crew a few hours away, meanwhile bear has his with him the entire time.

no, i'm saying that they both have their merits and flaws and that both shows are good.

Sarge47
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Ok, that's it! Saiga you've made your points, so have the others. If you want to talk about Les vs. Bear move it to the right thread! Clear!:mad: