PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Shooting

crashdive123
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Sgt Draino's got a thread going regarding scope vs iron sights. That thread prompted me to start this one. One of the things I want to do (in the not to distant future) is practice long range shooting. It's just something that I've placed on the to learn/to improve list. I'm thinking .308 and looking at the possibility of a Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train II when they are available. No decisions have been made. What ever choice I go with, I don't want to break the bank with it. So, for you long range shooters out there - any suggestions?

Mountain Man
07-03-2009, 04:11 PM
What do you consider "LONG RANGE" ??

If you want to get 1000yards and accurate/consistent you are going to drop some $ no matter what IMHO.

Sourdough
07-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Please describe "LONG" Range......1,000 yards, 500 yards, 300 yards. OR You could say I want to hold a 10" group as far away as possible. This to me is more useful. My private range is only 175 yards, so I have to shoot down the powerline, or along the beach for longer ranges practice.

crashdive123
07-03-2009, 04:23 PM
By long range (for me) 300 to 500 yards. Once proficient at those ranges in various conditions I would like to progress to longer ranges probably up to 1000 yards. Beyond that? Probably not - maybe not even that far depending on the progress I make. As far as grouping? The ability to hit a 24" by 24" target is what I was thinking. With time, probably move to 12" by 12".

trax
07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I have to go all the way down to wherever I shot whatever I shot and pack it back. Bad idea for me. Actually, most of the area that I hunt in is thick enough bush that serious long range shooting isn't relevant, but it also makes for terrain that I don't want to be hauling dead critters through, so I don't do a lot of that.

crashdive123
07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
This isn't meant to be for hunting. It's just a skill that I'd like to improve upon.

Ole WV Coot
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I like the 308, fixed power scope and 500yds is about my max in this area. Shot groundhogs in VA at farther distances but not much on targets. Depends on your max range where you can shoot. I got way to much $$ into it, always a new toy to buy. Only reason I answered is personal preference for the 308 and a fixed power scope. The average hunter buys a 3X9 and cranks it up to 9 and leaves it there. If your eyesight is still decent try open sights, reload your own and plot your trajectory, more fun. I stopped playing when it got to equal skill always beaten by expensive bench equipment.

2dumb2kwit
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
A while back, I got to shoot at 1,000 yds with my K-31, and open sights. It was my first time shooting long. It went something like this...

BANG
Spotter-2' low and 6' right.
Me-Cool!(excited)
Spotter-I said 2' low and 6' right.....feet, not inches.
Me-You know that the target is over a half a mile away, right?
Spotter-That isn't even good enough to take a deer.
Me-It's good enough to hit a truck.....at over a half a mile away!LOL

(Yes, I'm a begginer.)

Schleprok
07-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Gotta agree with Remy. For the money spent, the 700 is an awesome rifle. You could spend more and get better. But, pound for pound, dollar for dollar. The 700 in 308 gets the nod. Don't even attempt the "reduced silohette" targets the military was fond of for a while. Doesn't account for bullet drop. When you get way out there. Lots to consider. Wind at the muzzle and the target (can be different speeds and direction), when shooting down or up hill, must adjust your aimpoint up or down depending. A spotter helps. Good spotting scope. Hang some tattletales from the target so you can see the wind blowing a rag through your scope. Don't think I would attempt open sights at 1k yards. Too damn old. At 300-500 I would use factory ammo, at 1000 definetly hand load. Precision at that range won't come out of a box. With factory loads you may get your 12x12 target multiple hits. For smaller groups you will need a precise load. Plus, you need good eyeball of each bullet and the brass before loading. Bullet weight must be consistent.

SARKY
07-04-2009, 12:34 AM
The Mossey is nice, but have you checked out the Savage line? These guns are NOT pretty, but they are rated the most accurate out of the box (no tuning). As to scopes, it really depends on how much you want to spend. check out the Natchez site, they always have sales on scopes. I have a little bit of everything (Weaver, Burris, Leopold, and Simmons). For the money it is hard to beat the Simmons,

flandersander
07-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Where I live, long range shooting is almost a guarantee. No trees, no hills, (for the most part) and the game is whitetail deer. I shoot a savage model 99 in 243 carbine. Don't laugh, its a great little gun. Because it has such a short barrel, anything beyond 300 yds is pretty difficult. Most shots I take are around 200, but the game is usually at a dead run. Got a couple that way, but I try not to take that shot unless i'm pretty sure, to keep it an ethical shot. I have a question about scopes, anybody tried king optics scopes? Any good?

crashdive123
07-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the advice. This will be a distant (within a year) purchase. Again, I don't want to do this for hunting, but rather the discipline and skill it takes to become proficient at it. A big part of it will be researching locations within a reasonable distance from where I am. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Pict
07-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Crash,

My brother is a police marksman. I shoot with him often at a 500 meter range. If there is anything I've learned from him its that you have to put the time into regular practice to really be proficient and that is going to cost serious money.

Keep your practice sessions short and frequent. You will acquire far more skill from your ammo supply if you shoot many short sessions than a few marathon ones. Your brain needs time to reflect and revise. If you shoot long sessions you tend to just repeat the same mistakes and burn up ammo.

Do the bulk of your practice with a scoped .22 as similar to your high powered rifle as possible. You can do this type of practice anywhere and it will teach you all the body mechanics of getting it right. You can also start this right away. You don't develop this skill by starting with a high powered rifle, you do it by mastering the basics of scoped rifle shooting.

A scoped .223 will cost you half as much to shoot as a .308. I would suggest that once you get really good with the .22 that you graduate to a .223, it will give you 2x the trigger time and teach you everything you need to know about wind and range. Mac

Rick
07-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Hopeak also had a great thread on the use of .22s set up to replicate your long range gun.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6543&highlight=long+range+shooting