PDA

View Full Version : Scope or Iron Sights?

sgtdraino
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Which do you think is overall superior for our sort of applications?

I have to admit, I have always felt a little uneasy relying on a scope. I'm always afraid it will break, or get jarred out of position, or simply run out of batteries. I have always felt more comfortable with iron sights, especially when they're soooo much lighter than a scope.

And yet many people do swear by scopes, so I think I must be missing something. So tell me guys, what am I missing?

crashdive123
07-03-2009, 03:30 PM
When you say "our sort of applications" what do you mean?

When I qualified on the M-14 there was no scope. The target was 200 yards down range. I can say with confidence that with a scope, personally my groupings are much tighter. Oh, and keep in mind that not all scopes have lighted reticles - no batteries.

Mountain Man
07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
BOTH.

On my 30-06 and .270 I have break away scopes! I don't even know if they make them anymore but they are perfect.

trax
07-03-2009, 03:37 PM
...... what am I missing?

Well, if you're missing, switch from whatever you're using to the other. Personally, most of the hunting I've done in my life, I always was close enough to use iron sights, but I borrowed a guy's scoped .270 a couple of months ago and that was pretty sweet shooting. Matter of range and of course, personal preference.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
iron sights are the way to go.

i have a 7.65 german mauser that i can shoot the 0 out of a stop sign at 250 yards with the stock iron sight. no need for a scope.

Sourdough
07-03-2009, 03:53 PM
When you say "our sort of applications" what do you mean?.

YES, SGT. will need more info on "Our sort of application" For me shooting is from TWO FEET to 2,400 FEET (That be 800 Yards). My short answer is everyone should learn to master NON-Optic sights...as'in receiver sights & open sights. Most of my tools have Leupold Quick Release Rings. This allows for 20 or 30 scopes for each firearm, and the instant removal of optic for entering the "Pucker" brush to finish a wounded Grizzly Bear.

Pal334
07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I am not much of a hunter of wild game. My usage over the last 30 plus years has been military and LEO type scenarios. My choice has always been iron sights. Mostly because it is / was what Uncle Sam gave me. At the length of a football field I can put everything in a 12x 12 inch square which has been more than adequate for my needs. I am taking nothing away from scopes, I just never had a need for them.

2dumb2kwit
07-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I think it is like so many things. It's just two different tools. Which one better fits the job you want to do and which one do you prefer.
(Scopes sure help "older" eyes, though!):innocent:

Schleprok
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Prefer iron sights, but depending on range and conditions. Scope sure does help my old eyes when the range gets long. But, like Crash, prefer the sights on that M14 over anything else.

SARKY
07-04-2009, 12:28 AM
BOTH.....have iron sights (I prefer a peep rear sight) and put a scope with QD (quick disconnect)rings on it so the option is yours as the situation demands.

sgtdraino
07-04-2009, 06:30 AM
When you say "our sort of applications" what do you mean?

Actually I left that vague on purpose, because the question is intended to be general. Perhaps I should have said, "for your purposes."

BOTH.....have iron sights (I prefer a peep rear sight) and put a scope with QD (quick disconnect)rings on it so the option is yours as the situation demands.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with scopes, besides my Leupold CQT scope mounted on my flat top M-4, which I have not taken off since I got it zeroed in. Tell me more about these QD rings... you can take the scope off and put it back on, and it's still zeroed?

aflineman
07-04-2009, 07:12 AM
I normally run a scope on most of my rifles, but I never take the iron sights off. I have had to rely on the iron sights twice. Once when the rifle got knocked around in the back of my truck (we hit a large bump and it fell out of the rack). The second time it (and myself) took tumble down the side of a hill. Both times the scope was inoperable for shooting. Both times the iron sights (and the rest of the rifle) still worked. I just used the iron sights for the rest of the season and saved up for a scope to use the next. Also, both years were good to me; I filled all of my tags.

Rick
07-04-2009, 08:05 AM
All I've ever used is iron sights. I recently bought a couple of scopes for my .9mm carbines and after some sessions at the range I sent them back. Old habits die hard I guess but I was much more comfortable with the open sights than the scope. Better groups, too. Since I don't shoot anything over 100 yards I really don't need a scope anyway.

OICU812
07-04-2009, 03:48 PM
With nowdays long range missle launchers like a 7mm ultra mag or rifles that are not even equipped with irons it's a no-brainer. What and where you are hunting is the need or not to me for a glass, personally I'm not a scoped kind of guy, I have a vintage 1951 Winchester 30/30 that I use in all types of applications and would'nt trade it for any other rifle on earth! It just works for me.

SARKY
07-05-2009, 03:10 AM
The QD rings attach to the mounts on your rifle, if you put them in the same place(fore and Aft) the zero should not change.

sgtdraino
07-05-2009, 09:28 AM
The QD rings attach to the mounts on your rifle, if you put them in the same place(fore and Aft) the zero should not change.

Do they make such things for pistols as well?

Does the iron sight vs scope debate change at all when talking about pistols?

Sourdough
07-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Do they make such things for pistols as well?

Yes, for most but not all, the J-Frame S&W would be an exception.........The Q/R Rings are universal.

NCO
07-05-2009, 09:47 PM
No scope, I would just brake it. If you cant hit with iron sights you are too far away or crappy shot. move closer and/or train more.

crashdive123
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Soooo - the sniper taking out targets at over a mile is what......just a crappy shot because he uses a scope?

Rick
07-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I'll let you in on a little secret. If I'm...oh, say....a half a kilometer away and you drop a round with ten or twelve meters from me my feet will be moving way too fast for a second shot to have a chance.

I'm not a member of the, "Hey, ya'll. Did you see that? com'ere and take a look see at this big ole hole in the dirt", family.

Ken
07-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a scope on my Savage .308 (with bi-pod) and on one of my .22s. The rest are iron sight only.

rwc1969
07-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a scoped mini-30 and a scoped Gamo .177, but other than that it's all open sights. The only reason I scoped the mini is because I don't like the iron sights it came with.

If i were planning on taking all shots at +100 yards I'd use a scope.

trax
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
....I'm not a member of the, "Hey, ya'll. Did you see that? com'ere and take a look see at this big ole hole in the dirt", family.

Don't imagine there's too many members of that family left, Rick

@Sarky, right on about the peep rear sights. Couldn't agree more.

chiye tanka
07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I've got both on my AR. I'm just lazy though.:)