PDA

View Full Version : Wildcrafting.net

Chris
07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
More changes and features being put in today, site is just about done.

wareagle69
07-01-2009, 01:56 PM
now i am locked out again chris keeps saying i have to register can ya fix that again

Chris
07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
What do you mean locked out?

oneraindog
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
did that mullien issue get sorted out? should i try to post it again?

vthompson
07-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Chris,
Thank's for the new website. I have already found it helpful in identifying different plants. I have been studying them for a while now, and I can already tell that this site is going to be quite helpful.

wareagle69
07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
What do you mean locked out?

same problem as before, i follow the link then i try to add something and it tells me i am not allowed to add anything as i have to be a member, it keeps telling me to register, exactly the same as before

Chris
07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
did that mullien issue get sorted out? should i try to post it again?
yes, everything is fixed

Chris
07-03-2009, 11:07 AM
same problem as before, i follow the link then i try to add something and it tells me i am not allowed to add anything as i have to be a member, it keeps telling me to register, exactly the same as before
Okay, when you visit http://www.wildcrafting.net in the top right do you see "Welcome Wareagle" or does it give you a login box?

If it gives you a login box, can you login (using your info from this forum).

Once you are logged in, so it says "Welcome Wareagle" does this problem still happen?

wareagle69
07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
when i click on it says i have to register, i try to log in on the box but it keeps telling me to register so i clicked on register and then it tels me i am already registered, exactly the same problem as before

Chris
07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
let me try removing that special usergroup I made for you and turning you back into a regular member.

Chris
07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
try now...

wareagle69
07-03-2009, 08:17 PM
what ????????regular member(kicks can across floor mumbling i'll show you a regular member.hhmpff)

wareagle69
07-03-2009, 08:20 PM
nope same thing, now give me my super powers back

Chris
07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Okay, now you're the same as everyone else and you're having a problem no one else has, so it has to be something with your browser or something.

Can you make sure your browser is accepting cookies? You should be able to login just fine.

oneraindog
07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
i am still having a problem uploading mullein to the database. it says the common name is already in the data but neither mullein, candleflower nor hightaper are listed in the data base and it wont let me upload the material

Chris
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
okay, do it now. It was inconsistent, it had gotten partially deleted but not fully deleted before. Should be fixed and ready for a new insert.

oneraindog
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
woot. finally! :) thanks chris.

Chris
07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Yes, at long last, the reclusive Mullein is in the database.

http://www.wildcrafting.net/forage/plant/146/

crashdive123
07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Finally! I mean goodness gracious, we've been mullein over it for quite some time now.

oneraindog
07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
i was ready to pay a mullein dollars to get it to work.

Survival Guy 10
07-10-2009, 10:16 AM
yea im ready to see it

crashdive123
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
yea im ready to see it

All you need to do is click on the forum titled Edible & Medicinal Plants & Mushroom Database, or you can click on this link. http://www.wildcrafting.net/

Tundrascout
07-11-2009, 07:14 AM
So do you have to add a location for the plant, or is just a picture sufficient?
I can tell you that I doubt I'll be adding anything to the database other than pictures.

I dont know if anyone here is into geocaching also, but I can tell you that not everyone who would access the plant database will be so earth "friendly". Its kind of like giving up your favorite fishing or hunting location. I know it would be a great way to learn, but I just see more harm coming from this than good. Is there a way to make it a "members only" accessible database?

crashdive123
07-11-2009, 07:43 AM
When you add a location you have the option of making it accessible to everybody, or just you. As far as members only - well, you do have to register to have access, but anybody can register.

Chris
07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
So do you have to add a location for the plant, or is just a picture sufficient?
I can tell you that I doubt I'll be adding anything to the database other than pictures.

I dont know if anyone here is into geocaching also, but I can tell you that not everyone who would access the plant database will be so earth "friendly". Its kind of like giving up your favorite fishing or hunting location. I know it would be a great way to learn, but I just see more harm coming from this than good. Is there a way to make it a "members only" accessible database?
Well you have to trust in the decency of mankind, but yes, as crash said, you can make all your locations private if you want.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Stuff that is really so common as to be almost a nuisance like Dandelion and Goldenrod I would make totally public. Stuff that is really hard (or could be abused due to monetary value)to find like say Morel mushrooms I would make PRIVATE. Just my 2¢ .

Now I have a question myself. Is there any way (or maybe it already is like this) to make the edible and medicinal database separate so that the plants do not all show up in the same place unless they are used for both?
For example and example only as I would not put this plant in this database. Foxglove Digitalis purpurea does have medicinal properties however you eat it you die. But plants like chicory, blackberry, and Goldenrod are both edible AND medicinal. Some plants are edible and have no medicinal qualities, Like Spurge nettle. Ok now what I am getting at using these plants if you are looking for a plant used in treatment of Heart condition you would be looking for a Medicinal plant in the medicinal database not the edible. However if you were looking for a medicine and it was edible as well like chicory for example then both qualities/properties would show up for that plant. Yet if you were just looking for edible then spurge nettle would show up.
I guess what I'm really asking about is a search preference. A way to search for a medicine as opposed to food and vice versa. So if you were looking for a heart medication both chicory and foxglove (using the plants I've listed) would show up as well as others, but not spurge nettle. Or searching for a food then chicory and Spurge nettle would show up but not foxglove.
I hope I haven't confused anyone. If Mods or administrators have any questions about what I'm trying to say feel free to contact me.

crashdive123
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
The way the database is set up there is no differentiation between edible and medicinal when viewing plants other than the tags it has. I think it would take a programming change to add that feature. Also - the situation that you ran into with chicory - one person that knew it was edible entered the data. You saw it and knew that there were medicinal properties as well. It does take more searching this way, but for me (noob) it requires me to study a little more. I might not look as closely if there was a "quick fix" for what I was searching for.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but might get you a little closer - Select plants by state feature. There you have the option to select only edible plants, or all. This will not only show you plants in the Wild Crafting database, but those in the USDA database as well (at least I think that is where they are coming from).

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I was afraid of that,but it was an idea. Oh well.

Chris
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Actually when adding a new plant you can specify if it is medicinal, edible, or both.

It isn't part of the search feature yet... but I never saw people searching for edible plants or medicinal plants perse.

More like searching for plant X, and then learning if it was edible or medicinal, coming at it from the other direction as it was.

Or doing a location search ultimately eventually, when people have added tens of thousands of plant location markers, because plants that do not grow near you will not be useful.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome back Chris!!
No I just thought that a search feature would work the same way as it does on the Forum. Type in word and all posts(or in this case plants) with that in the post would show up. I.E. type in stomach and all plants that had medicinal properties for the Stomach would pop up in a list.To be honest I didn't even notice if there was a search feature in the plant Database. I have only added/plotted a few and am still learning all the features of the Database.
I did have a slight problem entering a new plant Goldenrod, because of the common name. The scientific name was different to the one that was already listed Solidago odora,I was trying to add Solidago canadensis and got an error message because of the same common name. However today I had no problem, maybe a minor glitch or hiccup is what I figure.Also at the same time I got an error message with the photo I was uploading but it went through anyway,even with the error message(that was with Common Sunflower Helianthus annuus )There appears to be no problem now, I just thought i would update you with this minor glitch. Thanks - Mel

Chris
09-11-2009, 10:42 AM
what was the error message?

pocomoonskyeyes
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
It said that the common name was already in the Database and I should choose another.
With the photo it said it could not be uploaded in that format... but it did anyway. it was basically a message with no meaning. The photo I uploaded was of the Common Sunflower Helianthus annuus yet it took it.
the "Common name" was Goldenrod but was a different species than what was already listed, Solidago odora was already there I added Solidago canadensis both goldenrod species. Yet yesterday I had absolutely no problem. As I said it apparently was a glitch or hiccup. Sorry that I type so slow.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
While you are here Chris, Can I add a plant without a picture? I know that Laurel leaved Greenbrier Smilax laurifolia is here but haven't taken a picture yet Can i add a plant THEN add a picture later? I have seen this plant and know it just don't have a picture.

crashdive123
09-11-2009, 05:50 PM
While you are here Chris, Can I add a plant without a picture? I know that Laurel leaved Greenbrier Smilax laurifolia is here but haven't taken a picture yet Can i add a plant THEN add a picture later? I have seen this plant and know it just don't have a picture.

To add a plant that is not in the database you must add a picture.

Chris
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
A picture and a scientific name are the two requirements for adding a new plant. This is down to maintain database integrity and to make sure every plant has at least 1 picture.

your_comforting_company
09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
there should be an option to upload from a url. save having to upload it to my album and also the database.

crashdive123
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM
A couple of concerns with that. Copyright infringement, and what happens when the picture linked to changes to something that may not quite resemble poke weed, but rather something that may be inappropriate (happens quite a bit).

your_comforting_company
09-17-2009, 06:50 AM
that makes perfect sense. thanks. i understand now :D