PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Pack should enjoy

WildGoth
10-07-2007, 10:00 AM
up in my area we have had a few wolf howls and what not i thought too bad probably far off but i talked to some of my neighbors they were right in the yard of a family friend who lived right across from me i could not believe it :eek: but hey that is nature thought you might enjoy that

trax
10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Wolves singing out to each other on a winter night and loons calling on a lake on a summer evening have got to be my two most favorite sounds, period.

I would guess elks bugling and whales singing come in third and fourth, but when I'm out in a tent (well any time of year really, but their voices seem to carry better in cold weather) and I can hear wolves calling, just gives me a really nice kind of tingle down the back. I absolutely love it.

owl_girl
10-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I think a lot of people on this site feel that way :D.

carcajou garou
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
A few years ago while hunting I saw a "silver wolf" on a hill crest silhouetted against a full moon, truly magnificent. He was about 50yds away through the binoculars you could see the black "frosting" tips on his fur, in this area they shoot wolves on sight (though later realized that dogs were killing of the deer population..too late I may add) both my wife and I saw but didn't shoot for several reasons, never the less at the next full moon I was leaving the house to go to work and seen an identical wolf at the end of my driveway. What luck 2 wolves in such a short space of time so close, we stared at each other and he started off through the snow covered lawn of my neighbour. As I was backing up I seen the last of him but what made me stop was that he didn't leave any paw prints in the snow...I got out and walked to where he had been and still no tracks. I called my sister later that night and she told me that I had seen a "spirit wolf". Very good luck but even better relationship.

WildGoth
10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
a wolf howling is a really lovely sound i stay out at night to hear them

trax
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
in this area they shoot wolves on sight (though later realized that dogs were killing of the deer population..too late I may add) both my wife and I saw but didn't shoot for several reasons,

Here the law is, if you have any big game tag that you didn't fill, you can use it to kill a wolf. Personally, I would never shoot one. (I've come within twenty yards or so of a wolf twice in my life and have never been nor felt threatened in the least) It seems only too often that people are in a big hurry to vilify wolves for game depletion in their area, it's ridiculous. I was once in a community centre in a town near where I work and they had a really good sized wolf pelt hanging on the wall with a story about how this wolf showed up and about ten guys names all credited with the kill. A lady who was attending the same function as me was reading the plaque and I told her that I figured they probably all ran out and jumped on their snowmobiles and chased the poor wolf to the point of exhaustion, then one of them took the shot. She was aptly horrified. Ironically, the plaque starts with "The Canadian gray wolf, very rare in this area...." So it's rare, so the thing to do is run out and make it..what, extinct in the area?

Regarding the spirit wolf, carcajou, we should probably speak privately some time.

owl_girl
10-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Do you know about the laws in Alaska?

In June 2003, state governor, Frank Murkowski, approved a bill (Senate Bill 155) to re-legalize aerial hunting of wolves in order to inflate the numbers of moose and caribou populations.

I don’t get it, the wolves, moose and caribou have coexisted together in balance up there for 100’s of years, the only predator who’s numbers have seriously increased is humans. There not trying to increase the moose and caribou populations because there worried about them but so there’s more moose and caribou for humans to hunt, but even that doesn’t make sense since wolves only take the weak ones not the big strong healthy ones man hunts, and the moose population has been shown to be at or above the standards set by the state. I think air hunting anything is cheating and pretty spineless, how can any outdoorsman/hunter even like it, its degrading!

Most of Alaska’s population including the hunters and trappers are against it and keep voting against it but it keeps getting reinstated despite the fact that scientists keep warning about the ecological problems this could cause.

I’ve seen videos of aerial hunts, they chase them until there existed and cant run anymore sometimes soot them with buckshot then when the animal is near death they land the plane and give it the final blow. All from their comfy seat of the air craft, they can hunt without even having to experience nature, that’s worse then hunting from a car. Like I said it’s degrading.

I think they also legalized aerial bear hunting up there.

Btw nice avatar trax.

trax
10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
A book by Farley Mowat, made into a movie in the early 80's. Mowat proved that the wolves were far less detrimental to the caribou population than human hunters, back in the late 50's or early 60's. Government of Canada sponsored him, they weren't happy with his results because they wanted him to prove the opposite.

The Inuit have a legend that the Creator made wolf because the first woman asked Creator for something to cull the sickness out of the caribou herd. But the question is, how much money is being put into some Alaskan outfitter' s pocket by some guy that wants to travel up there from the lower 48 and buzz around in a bush plane until he shoots a nice big timber wolf? Short answer...a lot of money. Airfares, lodge rentals, licenses. I've got a pretty clear picture of who wins when it comes down to nature versus business.

trax
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
and thanks owl_girl, I was going to put one up just of a wolf track, but I found this and thought....whoa, too cool, lol.

owl_girl
10-11-2007, 12:57 PM
A book by Farley Mowat, made into a movie in the early 80's. Mowat proved that the wolves were far less detrimental to the caribou population than human hunters, back in the late 50's or early 60's. Government of Canada sponsored him, they weren't happy with his results because they wanted him to prove the opposite.

The Inuit have a legend that the Creator made wolf because the first woman asked Creator for something to cull the sickness out of the caribou herd. But the question is, how much money is being put into some Alaskan outfitter' s pocket by some guy that wants to travel up there from the lower 48 and buzz around in a bush plane until he shoots a nice big timber wolf? Short answer...a lot of money. Airfares, lodge rentals, licenses. I've got a pretty clear picture of who wins when it comes down to nature versus business.

I saw the movie, loved it.

Borelli
12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I love to hear coyotes at night....howling away, creating thought and mystery. the howling causes us to think are they crying out over a lost member of there pack, could it be that they just had a successful hunt, or could it simply be that they are calling out to one another. Just a thought....

Dom Borelli