PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Water - How to Keep Out Ash?

NatureboyAlec
10-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey guys. I am going on a hike with my friends Gabe and Tyler and we are going to boil water. I usually boil water in a trusty coke can, with the lid carved out. But how could I keep ash from getting inside of the water? It makes a very gritty drink:p lol. thanks guys for your help

im me on aim: natureboyalec

WildGoth
10-07-2007, 09:53 AM
thing i do is add like pine branches or any very thick laid branches over top usally works

NatureboyAlec
10-07-2007, 10:06 AM
cool thanks man ill try it. also, do you think you (or anyone else reading this) knows how to keep a fire going for, oh, say 30 mins or so? because it seems everytime we boil water we have to constantly rush back and forth finding stuff to burn. we boil water right next to the stream so its very hard to find dry wood that lasts a while. thanks again!

wareagle69
10-07-2007, 10:10 AM
have you learned how to build a fire yet?
collect all your materials first.
start with tinder then move up in size of material twigs the size of your fingers then increase the size until you have a nice hot fire going just keep practicing until you learn how much is needed nothing beets dirtime.

Sarge47
10-07-2007, 10:33 AM
have you learned how to build a fire yet?
collect all your materials first.
start with tinder then move up in size of material twigs the size of your fingers then increase the size until you have a nice hot fire going just keep practicing until you learn how much is needed nothing beets dirtime.

Also learn about wood. Pine burns very hot, but also very quickly, as you've seem to have found out. Hard woods like Hickory & Oak burn longer and make a nice bed of coals that can keep a pot boiling for quite some time.:cool:

FVR
10-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Most times my fire way outlasts the boiling of water and even cooking of a small critter or fish.

Pine is great for a starter, burns fast and hot and that helps the hardwoods to heat up and catch just fine. I don't usually cook over a fire but rather choose to cook over hot coals.

Sarge47
10-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Most times my fire way outlasts the boiling of water and even cooking of a small critter or fish.

Pine is great for a starter, burns fast and hot and that helps the hardwoods to heat up and catch just fine. I don't usually cook over a fire but rather choose to cook over hot coals.

The flame part of the campfire is, IMO, for cheering myself up, the coals are the cooking part!:cool:

ATough
10-07-2007, 03:44 PM
If your using a cup and you have a bandana or peice of clothe soak it in water so it wont catch flame and put it over the cup.

pilgrim
10-08-2007, 03:11 AM
dont cook over a fire... as others have already mentioned burn hardwoods to get a good hot coal base and cook/boil over that

HOP
10-08-2007, 07:21 AM
A smal piece of foil or save the top use a couple of smal sticks to keep the lid from faling in. If you are just boiling water collect some wood as you hike.

trax
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Three guys going hiking? Always start out like WarEagle said, gather as much material as possible..then...wait for it partner this is good...

Guy one keeps fetching more firewood

Guy two fetches water

Guy three tends the fire.

Cool huh?

have fun out there:D:D

(sorry if it sounded like I was teasing, I kind of was):D

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
fire is for light and heat, coals are for cooking, come to think of it by the time my fire is down to coals water is or should be already boiled i enjoy my coffe lol

warrigal
10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Sounds like your fire might be a bit big. I make a habit of grabbing suitable tinder, kindling and small fuel (pencil sized) as I walk I break it into smaller pieces and stick it in my pocket or a small pouch I used for gathering. I don't have the mad scramble when I do want to start a fire. I can also start a fire by the creek because the initial fuel has been gathered away from the water. I do most my boiling in a Cups canteen ( Army cup) and I had a mate in a sheet metal shop make me a simple little Alloy lid with a turned down lip to cover the top, it fitted in the bottom of the pouch under the cup and stand.
Short of that the alfoil lid would work well. You can get heavier thickness foil as roof flashing. I'm not so sure about the wet cloth. I'm thinking the edge would dry out and char. just a thought.
Carl

GrayWolf
10-17-2007, 07:35 AM
What about the top of the coke can you cut off? just bend the edges of the can in a little, pop that little pop top back out and put it right back on. Can even use the thing that opens the can as a handle to your new lid. Never tried it but seems like that would work.