PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Charger or Ruger Mark Series?

sgtdraino
06-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Both Rugers, both arguably pistols. One is heavier, one has more magazine capacity. Not sure how their accuracy stacks up.

When it comes to Mark versus the regular 10/22, the 10/22 seems to be more popular.

But what about Mark versus Charger?

Which do you prefer, and why?

crashdive123
06-28-2009, 06:28 AM
While they are both 22's, it's kind of an apples/oranges thing (just as it is with the rifle vs pistol). I don't own a Ruger Mk I, II or III - but my S&W is of similar size. The size and weight of the two weapons (just like the Mk series and the 10/22) are dramatically different. If I had to choose, I would probably replace my 10/22 with my charger, not my pistol. (But hey - I don't have to choose right?) Weapons are tools. You select the proper tool for the job at hand.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Guns001.jpg

Mountain Man
06-28-2009, 10:54 AM
While they are both 22's, it's kind of an apples/oranges thing (just as it is with the rifle vs pistol). I don't own a Ruger Mk I, II or III - but my S&W is of similar size. The size and weight of the two weapons (just like the Mk series and the 10/22) are dramatically different. If I had to choose, I would probably replace my 10/22 with my charger, not my pistol. (But hey - I don't have to choose right?) Weapons are tools. You select the proper tool for the job at hand.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Guns001.jpg

Well said.

Get as many as you can and then use the right one for the job ;)

I just got a Ruger Mark III and it's a great pistol.

Sourdough
06-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Love my Charger......PLEASE Ruger.....I want it in .22 Magnum.......(This would be a near perfect survival firearm for food & defense).

To answer the question, My other .22LR handguns are all S&W Model-17's with 8 3/8" Barrel revolvers. The Charger would simply work better because of the optic. But the 17's are less cumbersome. If push came to shove I would put a optic on the M-17 which was converted to .22 Magnum. Because the 17 has a perfect competition trigger, and the Charger trigger is a challenge, it can be replaced for a little more than the whole gun costs.....

This is a good thread question......goood job Sgt.

SARKY
06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Depending on what you are using the firearm for would really give me a better idea as to which to choose. I love my 10-22s and my MKII and MKIII Hunter.
For a survival/SHTF/EOTWAWKI senario I woud pick the Charger.....Why, because it has all the benefits of the 10-22 with the compactness of a long barreled pistol.
The benefits: HiCap mags, ability to install target trigger, ease of installing optics.
detriments: it doesn't balance as well as the MKII or MKIII

Mountain Man
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
You guys are talking me into the Charger now too... oddly Ruger's site says NOT for sale in CA yet I've seen them in gun stores. I wonder if that means they won't sell here direct, very odd.

SARKY
06-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Mountain Man,
As a pistol it still has to be submitted for safety drop testing by the state before it can be sold in the state. The other thing I am worried about is there is a law pertaing to hand guns that doesn't allow the sales of handguns that have a magazine forward of the grip. there was a big to do a while back because most of the olympic handguns are set up in that configuration and California wanted to host the olympics. I believe the law was passed to prevent guns like the Tec 9 from being sold in the state.

Mountain Man
06-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Mountain Man,
As a pistol it still has to be submitted for safety drop testing by the state before it can be sold in the state. The other thing I am worried about is there is a law pertaing to hand guns that doesn't allow the sales of handguns that have a magazine forward of the grip. there was a big to do a while back because most of the olympic handguns are set up in that configuration and California wanted to host the olympics. I believe the law was passed to prevent guns like the Tec 9 from being sold in the state.

Next time I stop by the gun shop I`ll find out the exact model maybe they make a "CA" version or it's single shot or something like that.... I`ll get pics (if i can) and info for sure, now I`m itnerested ;)

sgtdraino
06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Doesn't CA have some kind if idiotic rule where, if it has a pistol grip and a magazine forward of the trigger, the magazine has to be welded into the weapon?

Depending on what you are using the firearm for would really give me a better idea as to which to choose.

Potentially... everything.

I love my 10-22s and my MKII and MKIII Hunter.

Do you have a Charger? Any way we could get some comparison picks of your Charger and Marks side-by-side?

For a survival/SHTF/EOTWAWKI senario I woud pick the Charger.....Why, because it has all the benefits of the 10-22 with the compactness of a long barreled pistol.

All the benefits of a 10-22? No stock, no iron sights (unless you have some installed or get another barrel)...

So, I'm guessing a Charger is capable of greater accuracy than a Mark series? And maybe higher velocity, with the longer barrel?

The benefits: HiCap mags, ability to install target trigger, ease of installing optics.
detriments: it doesn't balance as well as the MKII or MKIII

I'd certainly grant the higher magazine capacity, but it seems like many Marks are readily able to receive optics. Dunno much about trigger jobs, but I've heard it is possible. And I reckon you could clip a simple bipod on the barrel of a Mark if you really really wanted to.

What is the weight difference between the two? The difference in size looks significant, but I've never compared the weight in detail.

The Mark certainly looks easier to conceal, or simply holster at your side, for drawing less attention to yourself.

Crashdive, what model is that S&W pistol in your picture?

Sourdough
06-29-2009, 01:25 PM
So here is my question, the four people so far VOTED against the Charger, have you ever owned one, or shot one, or are you just voting to validate your current type .22LR Handgun......?????

crashdive123
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Crashdive, what model is that S&W pistol in your picture?

It's the 22A-1.

sgtdraino
06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
So here is my question, the four people so far VOTED against the Charger, have you ever owned one, or shot one, or are you just voting to validate your current type .22LR Handgun......?????

I have neither a Mark or a Charger, nor have I ever shot either one, though I do have and shoot a 10-22 (which I like alot). I voted for the Mark simply because (at the moment) it makes more sense to me... but mainly I voted just so I could see the results of the poll without having to click on "view results" every time! :) So, I freely admit, folks should not attribute much weight to my vote on this one, because I am no expert on either gun.

It's the 22A-1.

I think that's the one in that SOG article that they like about as much as the Mark. I'd be interested to see those two compared to each other at some point.