PDA

View Full Version : Good and valid bear info

wildWoman
06-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

haven't been on in a while but want to share an excellent publication on safety in bear country with you.

It's from the Yukon Government, developed by such people as Stephen Herrero, and features a really good explanation of bear behaviour and body language - which is really what you want to know about when you meet a bear.

Very worthwhile reading!

http://environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/pdf/howyoucanstaysafe.pdf

Sourdough
06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Where you been women.....you been OK....? Hurry back, you have been missed............

trufleshufle13
06-25-2009, 01:03 AM
IDK, i always see these pamphlets(this one being the best yet), and they always have the same general theme, learn how bears act, they wont bother you if you don't bother them, we need to change the way we look at them. IMO, maybe the bears need to be given a pamphlet one of these days, it would only need three sentences and would solve a lot of problems.

LIVING WITH HUMANS.

If you see a human don't worry, they are scared ****less. They are not trying to take your food, nor are they food. Lastly, they would never come into your home on purpose or ever, EVER, put your young at risk.

wareagle69
06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
WW, my friend
glad to see ya back on home turf, how was the family visit?
how are the articles coming along?

crashdive123
06-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Wild Woman - you've been missed. Thanks for the information.

nell67
06-25-2009, 06:54 AM
welcome back WildWoman!

wildWoman
06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome back...it will be a brief stay though. I'm suffering from forum fatigue; feeling like it's always the same topics being rehashed and that I've shared the bits and pieces I know already and have really nothing more to add.

I was out in "civilization" for a couple months, very depressing, I don't know how people can permanently live that way; now back home and feeding the bugs.
Things are going great otherwise, getting started on the house, suddenly getting a flurry of articles sold and getting filthy rich ;-), the poor mining industry being in the dumps yet again and keeping their drills silent.

I wish you all a beautiful summer and lots of time in the woods, mountains and on the water. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to stay in touch...
2wintermoose (at) gmail.com

RobertRogers
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, seeings as how in a bear - human interaction it is allegedly the human that has the greater intelligence (and therefore greater options for intelligent action), I think that indeed, it is up to the human to do all he/she can to avoid confrontation with bears.

This PDF is a good learning tool.

Mountain Man
06-27-2009, 05:30 PM
We had a black bear cruise over a month or so ago... heard him on the door step taking some food that was accidentally left out.

We looked out the window watched him a bit then yelled and he ran into the woods.

Came back a few minutes later we yelled and made more sound and he ran and never came back.

I`m going to put some new batteries in my game camera to try to see what else we have wondering. So far we've had the electric company reading our meter, neighbors dogs, bunny rabbits, dear, and the bear but I caught that with my hand camera.

The biggest thing to remember is ALL BEARS are different. Just because one does one thing it has no bearing (hehe) that another will do it the same or opposite. Each situation is different.

Ken
06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
We had a black bear cruise over a month or so ago...

Hey, Mountain Man!

How about cruisin' over to our Introductions section and telling us a bit about yourself? http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=14