PDA

View Full Version : Hot rock still

corndog-44
10-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's something I'd like to share with you. If you already do this let me know how it worked out for you since I haven't tried it yet ( I just learned about). Sometimes, you get plenty of mud, damp earth, urine or odd water. Given you have no filter and/or no iodine, the solar still can be a way to purify it, right? Ok. But what if you have no clear plastic or no sun? You can still work it out by heating a few fist-sized rocks (caution, chose dry, elevated rocks... any stone containing water can explode if heated) and burrying them down the pit in mud or soak them in the fluid. Put any type of waterproof sheet on top of that just like in the standard solar still we've all seen. Depending on how hot the rocks are (glowing red is fine) and how much water is contained in your substrate, you can get about 2 quarts in less than one hour.

RobertRogers
10-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Yep, I bet that would work. Making heat on the inside evaporate the water is the basis for the mechanism like the survival water still (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-to-make-a-solar-water-survival-still/). I am not sure about the amount of water you would get from mud etc - will have to give it try!

HOP
10-21-2007, 09:36 AM
A tea pot type afair with the steam hiting a non absorbant cover that would drip and collect to the side of the pot.