PDA

View Full Version : Thinking HIGH -Capacity 9MM/40S&W "NO" Polymer, "NO Plastic..???

Sourdough
06-21-2009, 11:14 AM
What is the gooodest High Capacity 9MM/40S&W pistol made out of metal. No, not interested in extended magazines. Much prefer large frame, firearm will not be carried on person. No, don't want .45ACP for this application. No, don't care why you think polymer or plastic is more goooder. The weight does not matter, but quality and reliability "SUPER" matter. Long slide would be a plus, but not a big deal. light rail would be a plus, but again not a big deal. Could be current production or terminated production.

Ken
06-21-2009, 11:24 AM
How about the SIG-Sauer P-226?

http://www.remtek.com/arms/sig/model/226/226.htm

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/sig-sauer_p226.htm

http://www.policelink.com/products/products/257-sig-sauer-p226

mcfd45
06-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I love the taurus pt99 that i have. Or you could go with the beretta. You could go with a S&W in the 59 family. You can get one for around 300 cheap. SIG is also good.

Ken
06-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a Beretta 9000S. Great gun, but it doesn't meet the "full-sized" requirement.

crashdive123
06-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I can't speak to "best" but of all the 9mm I have (6) I prefer my Taurus PT99 AF's. My 40's are all polymer, so nothing there that you are looking for.

Ken
06-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Hopeak, I also own an HK USP 40. Good, solid weapon. No frills. It's just too big for me to carry concealed, which shouldn't be an issue for you.

SARKY
06-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Hopeak,

Check out the Beretta 92/96 series I have owned Berettas since 1978. They are full size, hi-capacity, no polymers, vertually jam proof, and is double/single action. I presently have a 92SB (9mm) and a 96 EliteII (.40) I really like the Elite II as it is the next evolution in that line with beveled mag well, adjustable sights and a better trigger than your standard 92/96. I put Hogue wraparound grips on mine(the kind with the finger scallops. I find that these grips index my hand to the same exact place on the gun every time). Hope this was helpful.

Sourdough
06-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank you, you'all

Schleprok
06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Beretta, excellent weapon. Carried one for many years in some not so nice places. Great point and shoot weapon. Fits the hand very well. Reliable. Never heard of one jamming. I am not a 9mm fan, prefer 1911 Colts. But the Beretta is a great firearm.

crashdive123
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Hope - you may know this already, but the Beretta 92 and Taurus PT99 are real similar. Here are the 99's that I have.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Guns.jpg

sgtdraino
06-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Sig and H&K are generally considered to be at the top of the heap, as far as all-metal guns go. That said, I have no significant personal experience with either.

I much prefer Glocks, Springfield XDs, and the like.

mcfd45
06-22-2009, 10:31 AM
So what are you thinking of going with Hope?

glockcop
06-22-2009, 11:08 AM
As for all metal 9 and 40's my picks will be SIG 226 , any of the CZ variants , Beretta 92 , S&W 5906 / 4006. Take your pick. All of these are great. I own several examples of each and feel well armed with any and all of them. Sigs are pricey but worth every penny. The Beretta is a little better price wise but still one of the best ever IMO. The CZ's give you MORE than you pay for and is probably the best 9mm in the world--the most copied for sure ,again IMO. The S&W's are built like tanks and will last you several lifetimes of trouble free service. Don't overlook the Ruger p series either. These will give you alot of gun for the $ also-tough and reliable. Accuracy wise I think the Sigs and the CZ's are tops. They'll all shoot better than the shooter can hold though. Good luck finding just one you like. That's gonna be tough. Holy crap.....I forgot to mention the Browning High Power. Talk about a wonderful weapon. I don't have the time or room to go into how great these suckers are. We would be here all day. Best.

Sourdough
06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I have no Idea. none. I have to go to town this week, the refrigerator is empty. I'll fondle some then. I like that some have a place for lead weights on the front. Should help with muzzle jump. So that has slid into the must have feature list. Strange that yesterday the very event I was expecting, happened. So the weenie gun got drafted, for work. Like sending a boy to do a mans job.....

crashdive123
06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Now my curiosity is peaked Hope (get it peaked.....Hope?) as to what this event is.

Ken
06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Strange that yesterday the very event I was expecting, happened. So the weenie gun got drafted, for work. Like sending a boy to do a mans job.....

Huh??? Wadda' ya' mean?

Sourdough
06-22-2009, 11:45 AM
So what are you thinking of going with Hope?

Now slightly leaning towards the CZ-75 SP01 SHADOW. but it has no lead wt. holder.

Sourdough
06-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Now my curiosity is peaked Hope (get it peaked.....Hope?) as to what this event is.

Crash, I am going to put it in a new thread, and hope only adults give feed back.

crashdive123
06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Figure the odds.

Sourdough
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Now slightly leaning towards the CZ-75 SP01 SHADOW. but it has no lead wt. holder.

I just called CZ and had a nice long chat about my needs, and as luck would have it the Shadow and Tactical both have a rail for a Buick.....:)

Ken
06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I just called CZ and had a nice long chat about my needs, and as luck would have it the Shadow and Tactical both have a rail for a Buick.....:)

Can you mount your dozer on it? :innocent:

glockcop
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Wise choice going with the CZ's. You will not be disappointed. Lots of value there. Their reveresed rails and tight barrel to slide fit contribute to their outstanding accuracy. Cocked and locked capable is also a nice feature. The grip angle is pure perfection. They eat everything you put in them. I shoot alot and can verify their claim for super reliability. I've had Glocks and Sigs jam on me and have witnessed Beretta 92s cough sometimes but never had a CZ jam. They are great guns. This is just to vent so hold on to something. Not to insult anyone but don't even get me started on Kimber 1911's! Kimber ,IMO, is overpriced, overhiped crap. Just about the same quality of Taurus about ten years ago. Ya might get a good one but don't count on it kind of thing. Two of them gone from the safe now and will NEVER buy another until things straighten out with them. with the exception of the KImbers the previous malfunctions were directly contributed to cheap loads and absolutely filthy guns but that is not their fault. CZ's will impress you. Sorry if I offended any Kimber owners. If you have one and it treats you good well I'm happy you got a decent one. they are just not worth the risk for my hard earned cash at this point. This entire post is just MY opinion and has no relavence in truth because I forgot to take my medication today. Hahaha! Best

Sourdough
06-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Not to insult anyone but don't even get me started on Kimber 1911's! Kimber ,IMO, is overpriced, overhiped crap. Just about the same quality of Taurus about ten years ago. Ya might get a good one but don't count on it kind of thing. Two of them gone from the safe now and will NEVER buy another until things straighten out with them. with the exception of the KImbers the previous malfunctions were directly contributed to cheap loads and absolutely filthy guns but that is not their fault. CZ's will impress you. Sorry if I offended any Kimber owners. If you have one and it treats you good well I'm happy you got a decent one. they are just not worth the risk for my hard earned cash at this point. This entire post is just MY opinion and has no relavence in truth because I forgot to take my medication today. Hahaha! Best

No problem, I just sold my Kimber .10MM at the last Gunshow.

Boker
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
What is the gooodest High Capacity 9MM/40S&W pistol made out of metal. No, not interested in extended magazines. Much prefer large frame, firearm will not be carried on person. No, don't want .45ACP for this application. No, don't care why you think polymer or plastic is more goooder. The weight does not matter, but quality and reliability "SUPER" matter. Long slide would be a plus, but not a big deal. light rail would be a plus, but again not a big deal. Could be current production or terminated production.

S&W 915 are high cap 9mm. No longer in production, but can be picked up for $250 - $300 on gunbroker. They were marketed as low end Law Enforcement use. They ain't the prettiest but can take a smashing at the range without fail.

LudwigVan
06-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Nobody has mentioned the new pistols made by FN. They do have a poylmer frame but IIRC I saw an all metal one somewhere...

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF002&gid=FNG001

Say aren't Ruger's automatic pistols all metal? I can't help but think that one of those would fit the bill, less expensive as well.

glockcop
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Ludwigvan, yes the ruger P89 and P90 (9mm & 45) have aluminum frames. There was also a .40 cal that had an alum frame but it has been discontinued for a few years now. They are typical Ruger products : overbuilt and durable. Humvee tough. Boker, I can't agree more about the S&W autos. they are fine guns but I prefere the all stainless ones. The s/s guns are alot nicer and don't cost much more on the used market.

Sourdough
06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Can you mount your dozer on it? :innocent:

Well, No....because the blade on the dozer is 13' wide, and restricts the field of view....However, that did give me a good idea. Next time someone parks and watches the cabin. Brandish a Cat D-7 ain't no law against that..:):):)

Rick
06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Park that thing at the road entrance and no one will be able to drive up there.

Pal334
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, No....because the blade on the dozer is 13' wide, and restricts the field of view....However, that did give me a good idea. Next time someone parks and watches the cabin. Brandish a Cat D-7 ain't no law against that..:):):)

Just don't have a cocktail in your hand, opens up other problems

Sourdough
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Just don't have a cocktail in your hand, opens up other problems

Ain't that true......

chiye tanka
06-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Hope, I'd have to lean towards the Sigs.
Just my 2 cents.

Beo
06-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Hello Hopeak,
I am like you, I prefer large frame handguns and not polymere throw aways.
That being said, I prefer .40 or .45 over the 9mm as it has more muzzle velocity or what is called "knock down power" as a cop I carried the S&W .40 Model 4046 with an 11 round mag giving me 12 with one in the chamber. I still have it to this day and just shot 99% with at qualifications on the 24th. It is a good weapon.
I also have an H&K USP .40 10 round mag 11 with one in the chamber, so it has a good amount ammo. Shoots great and can take a beating, easy to break down and clean and even field work is easy. shoots good dirty too.
And I have a Sig .40 which is ok but tends to jam if it gets dirty, break down is fairly easy (not as easy as the S&W or H&K) but has alot of moving parts that are small.

I like the .40 over the 9mm because I have personally seen people not go down with a 9mm, with my .40 they they went down and stayed down. Here in Cincy we had a 9 year old boy steal a car, the city cop went to the car and grabbed the kid, the kid put the car in gear and the officer got tangled and stuck and was dragged down the street to his death, but not before pulling his 9mm and firing point blank into the kids chest. (Terrible tragedy all the way around) The point is a 9 year old boy drove home after getting shot, his parents then drove him all the way to the hospital where he ended up dying an hour later. I dont want a weapon that a 9 yr, old can withstand. Just my opinion though.
Beo,

Beo
06-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh and Hopeak remember: Keep your friends close and your enemies within gunshot range ;)

glockcop
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
The whole caliber thing is way overblown. Ive seen them "not cooperate" when shot center mass with a 45 acp and go straight down when hit with a 9. Well "That just can't be", some would say. Well it can be. Is a 45 better than a 9. Who knows but I can tell ya one thing. In reality they all work about the same 9, 40, 45.... take your pick....they all suck pretty bad too at stopping a determined human. Give me a Rem 870 with 000 buck anyday for that job. But since finding a good holster for my Remy is pretty tough, I'm stuck with a handgun most of the time. Hahaha! As far as "knock down power" goes 9, 40, and 45 all have pretty similar energies...between 350 to 470 ft lbs. And as far as velocity goes, the 9 has it all over the 40 and 45. But who cares! Like I already said they all suck pretty bad at stopping determined human beings. Luck and God have a whole lot to do with stopping a jazzed up perp immediately.
Beowulf, I like my S&W 4006 very very very much. It is what I first carried when fresh "on the job" 15 years ago. It has ALWAYS been good to me with nary a problem. I now carry a Glock because a "gold badge" bean counter says I have to, but I will always love my 4006. I can see you are a man of taste. Stay safe Brother and check 6 frequently.

Sourdough
06-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't have any experience with Humans, however your point is consistent with more than 200 bears I have seen shot, and maybe about 600/700 total big game animals seen harvested. Cartridges can look awesome on paper ballistics, however in the field a moose well hit with a .243 Winchester expires as quick as one well hit with a .338 Winchester Magnum, or a .470 NITRO.

aflineman
06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
The CZ-75 is a good pistol. Just feels "right" in my hand. I prefer a .357 wheelgun, but I would not feel at all under gunned with a CZ.

OICU812
07-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Without a second blink, the Para-Ordinance PXT-LDA hi-cap if you would like to drop a grand on a great gun with NO poly, the 9's will go 18+1 on the 1911 format.