PDA

View Full Version : Bullet flight

Born2Late
06-18-2009, 05:00 AM
A local farmer asked us to take care of some problem animals for him.They would damage his crops at night.We went out to look for them using a 1000 000 candle light spotlight.We found them at the foot of a mountain slightly higher than the level of the road.
My brother in law took the shot,I was standing to his right,slightly behind him.He was using a 308 with 150gr Sierras.I could see the flight of the bullet in the light.I think it was the light reflecting from the back of the bullet.It was the first time I saw a bullet flying through the air.
I have seen shotgun pellets and tracers before but never a rifle bullet doing 2600ft/sec.Have you ever experienced something like that?It was pretty amazing.

Sourdough
06-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes, I have. Rarely maybe 5 or 10 times out of tens of thousands of discharges.

crashdive123
06-18-2009, 06:52 AM
I have not seen the bullet flight from a rifle unless tracers were used. I have seen the flight of bigger bullets (120,000 pound D-5 missile) that was pretty impressive.

Old GI
09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
40mm grenade out of a M79/203. Easy to see.

glockcop
09-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Seen it but, very rarely. 9mm subsonics from a pistol, shooting across marsh land on a bright day was the last time. sometimes the bullets would skip across the open marsh like a stone a couple hundred yards down range. It was safe to do so because there is nothing out there in this particular area for miles and miles except alligators, nutria, and snakes. Open flooded grass land for as far as the eye can see. It was pretty fun! In Police Sniper training when I was spotting my partner, sometimes you could see the .308 bullets traveling downrange 300-600 yrds with a "boat wake" behind it. That was COOL! It is hard to see the wake very well when you are doing the shooting because the recoil throws your sight picture off for a second or two. Be safe.

lucznik
10-04-2009, 01:39 PM
My good friend has a video he shot where you can see the bullet flight as a companion shoots a big hog. It's pretty cool.

hunter63
10-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I was told to pack fiberglass insulation into the space after the powder was loaded in rifle loads.
The claim is that it burns and acts as a tracer.
I have never tried this my self, (loading them), but have seen one shot at nite, that was supposed to be loaded this way.
You saw an orange line out of the barrel.

I have seen 12 gauge loads, looks like fast smoke, out of the barrel.
I have seem a .78 cal round ball out of a blunderbuss, fly out thru the smoke.

All of the above is very cool to see.

Pict
10-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I get to shoot at a 500 meter range quite often and if the atmospherics and light are right you can see the bullet trace in flight as it disturbs the air. If you're spotting with the scope dialed in at 14 x you pretty much just see the impact area but if you dial out to catch more of the flight it is very visible. It looks like a curved line of "mirage", wavy heat lines that disappears quickly. Mac

Heres a video (not one of mine) that show's what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9NkQldeu0&feature=channel_page

rwc1969
10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I was out deer hunting on public land and saw the blur of a 12 gauge slug go by broadside at head height about 15 yards away. I immediately got up and went home.

Rick
10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Here's a pic of 12 gauge fireball ammo. Not exactly the flight of the bullet but....

http://www.hi-vel.com/hvi_cover.jpg