PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

Rob
10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I am new to this site. I am a hunter. I kill animals not to kill but to eat and because I like to hunt. A real hunter knows the meaning of the thrill of the hunt not the kill. I keep reading posts on this site that say I dont like to kill animals or I would rather bring survival food on a trip rather than kill an animal. Are most people on this site vegitarians? I an asking not to anger anyone but to just see if I am on a site that isnt what I am about. We get all of our food by somethig else being killed. What difference does it make if you do it your self.

Sarge47
10-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I am new to this site. I am a hunter. I kill animals not to kill but to eat and because I like to hunt. A real hunter knows the meaning of the thrill of the hunt not the kill. I keep reading posts on this site that say I dont like to kill animals or I would rather bring survival food on a trip rather than kill an animal. Are most people on this site vegitarians? I an asking not to anger anyone but to just see if I am on a site that isnt what I am about. We get all of our food by somethig else being killed. What difference does it make if you do it your self.

I would rather eat wild meat that I've either trapped or shot rather than bugs any day of the week. That being said, however, doing all that saps energy and produces fatigue that can create errors in judgement. There is nothing wrong in being prepared to the point where you already have food and the knowledge of how to hunt & trap wild game in case you're lost longer than you're food supplies. It's a joint act, not one or the other!:cool:

man.vs.wild
10-04-2007, 09:36 PM
im a big hunter to and my dad says if i shoot it i better eat it ( all i shoot is dear turkey and duck ) and we will go a month on maybe 1 or 2 small dear theres so many things to make with them we normaly make dear sausage ( awesome on egg sandwich ) well make some venisin bbQ and just grill up a hunk of meat
( only 2 more days till bow seasons starts here yay !!!! )

FVR
10-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Rob,

Alot of hunters here. Alot of non hunters here. It's all good.

I really don't get into hunting till later in the season, just too hot down here in Georgia. Hung a deer/hog stand last weekend, maybe this weekend.

I want to do a winter trek this year since I have not done one in years. Pack up in pre 1840's gear, bring a little hardtack, rice, beef jerky and head out. Eat what you kill.

Can'w wait till I see some frost.

pilgrim
10-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Ive been hunting since i was a little boy and i never kill something i dont plan on eating. I did a winter trip last year and all we had to eat was what we shot.... nothing is much more satisfying than that.

trax
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I think the good news is, you'll find the hunters on this forum think like you do for the most part, we don't have a bunch of trophy hunting types here, at least I haven't heard from them. I've hunted and fished since I was a small child too, and trapped a little.

I agree with what you said about what we eat. I've p####d off a lot of vegetarians in my day by telling them the plants they're eating had as much right to life as they do, and that plants take a lot longer to die than an animal does.

I believe that taking my own meat from the wild is far more respectful to the life of that animal than buying some sterile, packaged thing that was raised on chemistry to begin with and never had a chance to live.

Rob
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I believe that everyone has the right to do what they want within the law and shouldnt be told by someone else that what they are doing is wrong because of thier beliefs.

eddiec
10-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I grew up poor, so everything my Dad and my Brothers and I hunted, we ate. Now, I'd much prefer to go and buy my food reserves, but I know if I had to, I could go and hunt my food. I still do go hunting every once in a while, but for food, not trophies. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

wareagle69
10-07-2007, 07:56 AM
rob, this is not a hunting site.. this is a survival site we talk about hunting techniques but as sarge already said it takes allot of energy when hunting so what is always not a sucsessful hunt, you show me someone who gets a kill every time they go out and i will show you a liar. when you go hunting always be prepared which means bringing survival food out with you so if you get in a predicament then you will have a better chance of survivlal, if you want to disscus the ehtics of hunting i would be more than happy to do this but we would have to see what the super moderator says about that being that this is a SURVIVAL website..

Sarge47
10-07-2007, 10:15 AM
rob, this is not a hunting site.. this is a survival site we talk about hunting techniques but as sarge already said it takes allot of energy when hunting so what is always not a sucsessful hunt, you show me someone who gets a kill every time they go out and i will show you a liar. when you go hunting always be prepared which means bringing survival food out with you so if you get in a predicament then you will have a better chance of survivlal, if you want to disscus the ehtics of hunting i would be more than happy to do this but we would have to see what the super moderator says about that being that this is a SURVIVAL website..

As far as I know there is nothing wrong talking about hunting per se, however "flaming" on someone because they view it differently is not polite.;) Here's something interesting, even our two favorite "Survival Dudes", Les & Bear, come up empty....a lot!:rolleyes:

FVR
10-07-2007, 01:00 PM

I can't tell you how many times a cup of rice, jerky, and buillon has enabled us to totally enjoy a backwoods trek.

Sometimes you get the critters, sometimes you don't. Even if you do, what's one or two little critters when you have 4 or 5 hungry men.

Rob
10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I dont want to turn yhis into a hunting site. Being new just wanted to know peoples opinions

WildGoth
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
i'm 13 been hunting with my dad know the techniques and know how to gut a deer i dad hunts for trophys but still eats the meat i'm getting my lisence i am going to hunt for food planning on keeping the bones to make some tools along with the antlers i will save anything i don't use that is my version of a trophys

Rob
10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Mine too. I have been reading up on bone tools and plan on trying them out after this deer season.

FVR
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
The jaws make good knife handles, the antler tines make excellant flint knapping tools. You can use the brains to tan the hide once it's been fleshed. The toes make great necklaces, just boil the feet and the hooves will pop off. Cut the toe tendons and the toes fall right off. Drill a hole right straight through and string them up. They look like monster shark teath.

The tendons that run down the back, pull an dry same goes with the tendons or achillies tendons on the lower leg. Once dry you can pound off the outer layer and pull apart and have perfect sinew for wrapping arrow heads, knife blades, fletchings, and such.

Femor bones make good knife handles.

The hoove covers can be made into rattles as the native americans use to use. They still use them at the dancing pow wows. If you don't want to do that, boil the hooves down and you are making glue. You can do this with parts of the hide also aka hide glue.

FVR
10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Had to tuck in the little man.

The deer antler main beam can be a good knife handle if thick enough, if not and you flintknapp, cut the skull plate around the base of the horn, then cut the main beam about 5" down. Drill a hole right past the middle towards the skull, about 3/8" and insert a 3/8" piece of bamboo. Cut the bamboo off at about 6", then stick a piece of hardwood on the base of it. Wala, you have a soft hammer for spalling rock. All you will have to do is file the skull base, as you pound it will slowly break away, takes time. Just keep filing it smooth and it will last awhile. I have one that has lasted years, the bamboo absorbs alot of inpact and increases the pounding pressure.

The deer teeth make nice necklaces, 1/2" to 3/4" thick tines can be cut up into buttons. If the pith is too big, it won't work as the sinew will pull through.

A variety of bones can be made into scrapers, just cut off at an angle and you have fleshing tool, a spear head, a knife, etc.

Some antler tines can be made into small pipes that work great. If you get a tine that is long and thin, drill a hole through the base and stick it on your keychain. Makes a hell of a weapon and if you drill it right, the slight bend of the tine works great for holding your keys, just slide it down through your belt.

This will also allow you to have a pressure flaker for sharpening arrowheads at all times. Use your wallet for a palm pad. You can tell those that use prim. arrowheads, their wallets have gouges in the leather.

That's just a few ideas. I've done all of the above.

Oh yeh here is a good one. The shoulder plate works great as a hawk head protector. Put the shoulder blade on the hawk head and tie at the base. The shoulder blade is usually longer than the head and works just great. Then just stick the hawk handle through your belt.

owl_girl
10-07-2007, 11:15 PM
I don’t hunt personally but I don’t have a problem with others hunting so long as there respectful and responsible which the people on this site seem to be. I have a hard time killing things but I’d hunt if I needed to and I do have fun trying to get as close to a wild animal as I can but its usually to take pictures :D. If I did ever get into a type of hunting it would probably be falconry.

NorthWindTrails
10-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Rob ... I would suggest getting to know various methods of trapping/snaring game and fowl for survival situations. Energy from calories will be at a premium then, so best not to waste it on what most would consider a traditional "hunt". I am also a hunter, and will remain a lawful hunter until it becomes a "Survival" situation. Knowledge really IS the "Ultimate" survival tool ... coupled of course with plenty of PRACTICE before you really need it. NorthWind

HOP
10-23-2007, 03:41 PM

How could hunting or fishing not be a survival skill and worthy of disscussion on this site. Foraging is a form of hunting it reallydoesn't matter if you use a rabbit stick or a .22 . How well do you think the natives in the artic survived.

Beo
10-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Rob, I am an avid hunter, hunting for the meat, I do not kill what I don't or won't eat. However I do not support 'bait' hunting such as barrels filled with junk to lure a bear into that is just a sorry way to hunt "in my opinion" and "running deer with dogs' is just not sporting or a test to a hunters abilities. But that is another debate I won't get into here. I do alot of hunting, Deer, rabbit, squirrel and I do it with a longbow from the ground and gun hunting I do with a flintlock from the ground, just my preference to each his own. I don't wear realtree or mossyoak, or any of the other many fancy forms of camo... I wear tried and true army BDU's and a balmoral cap, or kahki's and a earth tone shirt (same cap), no cover scent or lures just good ole fashioned stalking techniques and using the wind in my favor and I fill my two tags every year.
I fish but catch & release. Nothing taste better to me than a good pot of deer chili or stew, or thick deer steak. So yes, Rob we are here. Come on in and enjoy the conversations. I have been here for only a short time but have learned some great things, meant some good people, and had some really good laughs.
Now when i'm not here and its not hunting season, I track animals, sometimes do a little coyote hunting but that's when they get thick and start killing livestock, thinning the packs. But in the off season I track and observe, camp, and hike taking in nature.

Bladesypher
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Well... Rob... seriously... your thrilled by hunting prey? I guess its exiting... but if I make a kill.. I would use absoloutly everthing I could on the animal, from the bladder to the eyes. I like to track... often... but I only kill prey if I have to, I think on the homepage with snares and stuff it pretty much shows the harshest ways to kill animals... the squirrel snare for example... the red squirrel as we know is becoming extinct. I prefer methods that don't involve bringing uneccesary pain to the animal, this is a sign of respect. Primitive life isnt just aabout shooting prey either. Beowulf, here in britain all guns are ilegal :p. any I prefer to make it a fair fight between me, the hunter and the prey.

owl_girl
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM
the red squirrel as we know is becoming extinct.

What? The red squirrel is everywhere. I see them every day where I live now and they were common other places I’ve lived in the past also.

FVR
11-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeh, I prefer a fair fight also, but my wife and the local laws won't allow me to hunt wild boar with a knife.

Talk about a rush. Been charged twice in hog tunnels, man, you bout crap your pants and lunge at them at the same time. Trying to get my bow ready for a shot and, oooppsss, the bow is too long for the tunnel. Hmmm, my bad.

Blade, you need to talk to the kid here that wants to kill a grizzly with a machette.