PDA

View Full Version : Coyota

scabbyota
10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
This morning I hiked about a mile in the woods with my metal detector to check out a new area.I walked around a half hour with out much luck so I went down to the creek .The bank on the creek was about four foot high so when I was on my knees digging with my army shovel I was hidden and plus I was wearing camo .After digging up a nail I stood up face to face with in 50 yards of a growling coyote. Best I can figure my metal detector sounds and me splashing in the water made me sound like a animal in distress. I've done some coyota and fox calling but never that easy. No I did not have to clean my pants after that but I came close.

scabbyota
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I guess you can see I can't spell.Plus I've been working all night.

nell67
10-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I have often heard that it is not the coyote that you see that you need to worry about,rather the ones that you DONT see that will get you,I do not know if this is true or not,just something I have heard.

trax
10-04-2007, 05:55 PM
they usually hunt in family packs and they usually avoid humans. Wolves avoid humans too, but are over all far better hunters than coyotes. Interestingly, the coyote probably has a better chance at surviving because they've become better at living next to us and scaveging from us.

HOP
10-08-2007, 08:55 AM
If his name was Wilie coyote it was obviously the beep beep that attracted him.

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
It's not the regular coyote that is the foremost danger but in the eastern part of the continent it is the "coy/dog" mix and the more recent "super coyote" that have taken the niche vacated by the departed wolves. (nature abhors a vacum)
They don't react as wolves do and are less afraid of humans. Also just plain "feral dogs are a great threat to those who venture out in the wilds.

owl_girl
10-08-2007, 01:26 PM
The coyotes where I live will run away even from a child or an aggressive deer. I always love seeing them but there so reclusive I almost never get the chance. I love listening to them too. I know a family with a coy dog that they rescued and it’s the sweetest dog ever. It really dos looks just like a coyote and it was confirmed by a vet.

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Coy/dogs, hybrid wolf dogs are noy part of nature and even though they may seem OK most of them do not respond to the same "instincts" as either dogs or wolves or coyote. They float somewhere in between, in limbo and are unpredictable, to many have attacked, hurt, maimed and even killed....Their temperament are always to be suspect and may triggered by some unseeming act...Do you want to bet your life or even more the life of some child on this?
We do like to play Creator and dabble with genetics even though we don't understand the ramifications.

owl_girl
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Coy/dogs, hybrid wolf dogs are noy part of nature and even though they may seem OK most of them do not respond to the same "instincts" as either dogs or wolves or coyote. They float somewhere in between, in limbo and are unpredictable, to many have attacked, hurt, maimed and even killed....Their temperament are always to be suspect and may triggered by some unseeming act...Do you want to bet your life or even more the life of some child on this?
We do like to play Creator and dabble with genetics even though we don't understand the ramifications.

They did not breed her that way she was found that way when she was a pup. Whether or not coy dogs and wolf hybrids happen in nature in still very controversial and saying they do or do not happen in nature can only be presented honestly as an opinion. Coyotes, wolves and dogs all understand the pack structure and if there’s a problem it’s usually because the human didn’t understand the pack structure. They all use similar body language and are only unpredictable if you don’t understand that body language. I’ve heard coy dogs and wolf hybrids can bite and maim people but so can dogs and there is no statistical evidence to show hybrids are more likely. I remember there being a high percentage of wolf hybrids in Alaska but I don’t remember there being attacks. From what I understand pet coy dogs are not known for being aggressive but timed and shy which is why the don’t make good guard dogs. Just like regular dogs you will have some variation in personality.

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Wolves often kill stray dogs in our area. Numerous occasions of wolves killing chained dogs, cougars will aslo take the free lunch.
As far as pact mentality they are different, a pack of dogs running wild "feral" will devaste deer when they get at them just for the blood lust wolves do not decimate their food supply just for the "thrill" of the kill.
Didn't say necessarily they were aggressive but unpredictable and many states have looked into limiting or banning such mix breeds after a rash of attacks from "the most friendly pet you could imagine", every thing is fun and game until it happens.
Dogs running in packs are extremely dangerous, they don't follow the same rules as wolves and when I am in the bush I shoot all dogs I see easy to spot a lab as opposed to a wolf.
Theres a wide difference between domestic and wild animals and when they mix the outcome is not as a whole predictable.
Again if you have any children would you stake THEIR lives on it?

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Heres a small list considering the scarcety of hibrids in general as opposed to plain dogs.
The following is a list of just some - by far not all of the attacks on people by wolf dogs. As more information is collected it will be posted. The purpose for this information being listed is to try and convince the general public that these animals are a danger to children and other people that come in contact with them.

9/81 - Wayne, Michigan - Two-year-old Eric Turner killed by "Mickey" when he wandered within range of his chain.

10/83 - Malad, Idaho - Three year-old David Hammer was killed by one of his family's three pet hybrid wolves when the "boy started to run and the wolf chased him and bit him in the neck and back of the head area."

10/85 - Los Angeles, California - Two-year-old Christopher Nimitz was grabbed and had his arm ripped off by the family's pet wolves when he put his hand through the chain-link fencing of their pen.

3/86 - Anchorage, Alaska - Nicola Martin, 2 years old, was killed while playing in a yard near a chained wolf hybrid.

8/86 - Forest City, North Carolina - four-year-old Brandon Joel Ingle killed by the family's pet hybrid.

8/86 - Fergus Falls, Minnesota - Seventeen -month-old Tyler Strauch' s arm was bitten off by his father's pet hybrid when the hybrid grabbed him as the child played near the hybrid's pen.

8/88 - Washesha, Wisconsin - Eight-year-old David Hoppe pulled off his bike and dragged into a lake by a friend's hybrid; hospitalized with multiple soft tissue injuries.

8/88 - Ft. Walton Beach, Florida - Four-year-old Nathan Carpenter killed by a neighbor's recently acquired hybrid that had been featured as "pet of the week" at the shelter from which it was adopted; Panhandle Area Welfare Society (PAWS) paid a $425,000 settlement to the boy's family.

2/89 - Venice, Florida - Three-year-old Lauren Verner attacked by loose hybrid, receives over 100 stitches.

3/89 - Ishpeming, Michigan - Five-year-old Angie Nickerson was killed by a relative's loose pet hybrid as she walked home from the bus stop. The animal had been a stray that was adopted out by a local humane society and only had been with the family a short time.

3/89 - Big Lake, Minn. Alyshia Ann Berczyk, 3 yrs old, killed by a pet wolf.

5/89 - Staten Island, New York - Two-year-old Timothy Bajinski attacked by his mother's hybrid who "freaked out". Child in critical condition, required extensive reconstructive surgery to face and head.

6/89 - Kenyon, Minnesota - Five-year-old Peter Lernke attacked after wandering into yard of chained wolf; surgery required to remove 12 inches of the child's small intestine and 1/2 of his colon.

8/89 - Regina, Saskatchewan ten-year-old Clinton Goodwell loses arm after being bitten by wolves at Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park

3/90 - Otisville, Michigan - Two-year-old Tanya Elliot killed when she played within reach of a friend's chained hybrid.

4/90 - Anchorage, Alaska - Four-week-old Paul David Mahler is killed by "Kessy," a hybrid, when the child's mother held the infant out to the animal and the hybrid grabbed the child by the head.

5/90 - Denver, Colorado - Six-year-old Lewis Trujillo was bitten 15 times on his legs and groin by a loose hybrid.

8/90 - Phoenix, Arizona-Two-year-old Belinda Jean Bennett bitten by her uncle's hybrid, received over 500 stitches to repair wounds.

9/90 - East Orange, New Jersey. Two Month and 3 Day Old Curtis James Hawkins killed and partially consumed by the family's wolf hybrid while sleeping in his crib.

10/90 - Tabor, South Dakota - Four-year-old Crystal Tipton received extensive lacerations to head, neck, arm, stomach and leg when she got too close to some penned hybrids.

1/90 - Mead, Washington - Four-year-old Melonie Honodel received 30-40 puncture wounds from a friend's hybrid that broke loose from its chain and came after a group of children in a yard, biting and shaking the child until her mother beat it off.

5/91 - Bellingham, Washington - Eighteen-month-old Blake Barber has his arm bitten off after reaching through a fence to pet a hybrid owned by his father.

8/91 - Lolo, Montana - Three-year-old Elaine Sandvig had her arm torn off after reaching into a kennel to pet her grandfather's hybrid.

9/91 - Elk, Washington - Melonie Honodel, now five-years-old, sustained a second hybrid attack requiring 80 stitches to close deep head and face lacerations, and nearly lost an eye when she hugged a friend's "friendly" hybrid while she was visiting the home with her mother.

1/92 - Phoenix, Arizona - Five-year-old Quantee Walker was seriously injured when his family's "friendly" hybrid, "Wolfie", dragged him around the yard by his head “like a rag doll.”

1/92 - Greentown, Indiana - Seven-year-old Devin Dewitt required surgery to repair deep lacerations to his arms, upper chest and face after two of the family's wellcared-for hybrids grabbed his hand and arm as he petted them and then attempted to pull him through the chain-link fencing of their 8' high enclosure.

6/92 - Saginaw, Ml. Two-year-old had part of a finger bitten off after approaching an unprotected wolf enclosure at a zoo and reaching through the fence.

10/93 - Sante Fe, New Mexico - Twelve-year-old Josh Garner died from severe injuries inflicted by his neighbor's "friendly" wolf hybrid, Kodiak.

10/93 -Jamaica, Vermont - Four-year-old Brandon Pike hospitalized in serious condition with bites to his face, spinal column and testicles after being attacked by a four-year-old wolf hybrid.

10/93 - Tucson, Arizona - Three-year-old Jasmine Peterson was critically wounded by a wolf hybrid and its shepherd companion when she fell off a cinder block wall into their yard.

12/93 - Townsend, Vermont - A three-year-old child was killed when a hybrid with new puppies broke out of her pen and attacked the child.

2/94 - Cedar Rapids, Iowa - Four children attacked, three of them seriously wounded, when a hybrid escaped his pen and traveled to a local school playground during a recess period.

3/94 - Cumming, Georgia - Eight-year -old Matthew Slalom was revived by his mom's CPR after receiving massive wounds to the head, neck, and chest when his neighbor's leashed "friendly" hybrid pulled away from his owner while she was chatting with the kids in her yard.

12/94 - Manitowoc, Wisconsin - Two-and-a-half-year-old Jared Mars lost most of his right arm when he reached through the fence of a zoo enclosure to pet a wolf.

1/95 - Black Hawk, South Dakota - Two--year-old Russell Evans was killed when he entered a neighbor's fenced yard containing a chained wolf hybrid.

3/95 - Buffalo Creek, Colorado - Four-year-old Brian Oudemolen received deep cuts on his face and head requiring plastic surgery when a friend's hybrid suddenly attacked the child as he ran and played while he and his mom, the hybrid's owner, and the loose hybrid rambled across a field together.

5/95 - Deland, Florida -James Termerer, 21 months-old suffered massive wounds to his face and neck when a "friendly" wolf/malamute attacked him The owner insisted the animal was just "trying to remove a red-hooded shirt the child was wearing" and "had an affinity for the color red."

9/95 - Lynchburg, Virginia - Derrick Quarles, age seven years suffered severe cuts on his throat, back and legs when the neighbor's hybrids grabbed his jacket through the fence of their backyard enclosure, pulled him into the pen, tore his clothes off and attacked him.

12/95- Chiloquin, Oregon - Three year-old Brian Boss was attacked and dragged out of his yard by a loose hybrid. The child received 39 puncture wounds and a punctured lung and required three hours of surgery to repair the wounds in his chest, abdomen and back.

12/95 - Howell, Michigan - Two year-old Jessie Langley was nearly asphyxiated when her family's "friendly" hybrid crushed her chest while she was sleeping in her bed room.

7/96 - Kalispell, Montana - Nathan Weasetail, age eight years, received severe bites to his legs, buttocks, arms, scalp requiring over 300 stitches after he entered an enclosure containing three wolves that were used for photographic purposes.

10/96 - Rothbury, Michigan - A 12 year-old girl waiting for a school bus was attacked and dragged by a neighbor's hybrid that broke his chain She sustained severe bites all over her body especially her arms requiring seven hours of surgery.

T.J. Adams - killed by wolf Hybrid - June 2002

owl_girl
10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
OK now list chows. Compare the statistics between chows and wolf hybrid attacks instead of listing a bunch of wolf hybrid attacks because that’s not going to show if hybrids are more likely to attack or not.

I don’t think most people should have a hybrid but for those that understand the breed and have the time and setup I don’t have a problem with it and I don’t think they should be criticized. Same with border collies, I don’t think most people should have a border collie not because there a bad breed but because most people don’t have the time, energy, setup and understanding of the breed and because of this a lot of people get rid of there border collies because people get them as puppies because there cute and don’t do there research then when the pup grows up the person finds out they cant handle him so they get rid of them and its not because there a bad breed but because people don’t realize how much energy is needed to keep a border collie stable and happy until its to late. But for those that have the energy, time and understanding a border collie can be an awesome dog and wonderful pet.

Obviously people that don’t understand the breed are more likely to create an unstable dog and chained wolves and dogs (depending on the breed) will behave unstably if they live on a chain. I’ve seen dogs that lived on chains that were very unstable because they had no way to release there energy and became frustrated and aggressive.

I wouldn’t purposefully put a child in danger but I’m not convinced that leaving a child with a hybrid is more dangerous then leaving one with a husky, germen shepherd, or any other big dog. So long as the dog is stable and the child is old enough to be responsible around dogs I don’t think the child is in that big of a risk.

But if you can come up with good evidence and statistics from a reliable non biased source I’m all ears.

FVR
10-08-2007, 07:12 PM
A list of the 9 dog breeds that bite people the most based on a study of dogs; German shepherds get top honors.
The 9 Breeds of Dog That Bite the Most

According to a 27-year study of dogs in the New York City area made by Dr. Robert Oleson, of the U.S. Public Health Service, these are the 9 dogs most apt to take a nibble out of a human being. They are, in the order of their aggressiveness:

1. German shepherd

2. Chow chow

3. Poodle

4. Italian bulldog

5. Fox terrier

6. Mixed chow chow

7. Airedale

8. Pekingese

9. Mixed German shepherd

Now I've owned 4 chows, the only one that bit was the one that had extreme hip displasia. She only bit me.

But then again, I know chows and I socialized them. Ashley the last one, smartest dog in the world. Great deer tracker, guard dog, kids dog, all around angel. But then I was training her to be a show dog at one point.

Certain breeds of dogs need extra attention in training. Mixed wolves are no exception.

FVR
10-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Bad dogs are not born, there is no genetic mutation present in certain dog breeds that make them turn against their owner or reach out and bite their latest victim. Bad dogs are created, usually by the people who raise them, less often by unscrupulous breeders who deliberately or unknowingly breed unsound temperaments to another unstable temperament. Every dog is a product of his environment. Every puppy born is born innocent of future charges levied against him by the public.

All dogs go to heaven.

FVR
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm just having fun here.

OLD DOGS, CHILDREN AND WATERMELON WINE

G C Am
1. I WAS SITTING IN MIAMI POURING BLENDED WHISKY DOWN
C G D G
WHEN THIS OLD GREY BLACK GENTLEMAN WAS CLEANING UP THE LOUNGE
G C Am
THERE WASN'T ANYONE AROUND BUT THIS OLD MAN AND ME
D C D G
THE GUY WHO TENDED BAR WAS WATCHING IRONSIDES ON TV
G C Am
UNINVITED, HE SAT DOWN AND OPENED UP HIS MIND
C G D G
ON OLD DOGS AND CHILDREN, AND WATERMELLON WINE.

2. HAVE YOU EVER HAD A DRINK OF WATERMELLON WINE HE ASKED
HE TOLD ME ALL ABOUT IT THOUGH I DIDN'T ANSWER BACK
AIN'T BUT THREE THINGS IN LIFE THAT'S WORTH A SOLITARY DIME
THAT'S OLD DOGS AND CHILDREN, AND WATERMELLON WINE.

3. HE SAID WOMEN THINK ABOUT THEMSELVES WHEN THEIR MENFOLK AREN'T AROUND
AND FRIENDS ARE HARD TO FIND WHEN THEY DISCOVER THAT YOU'RE DOWN
HE SAID I TRIED IT ALL WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND IN MY NATURAL PRIME
NOW IT'S OLD DOGS AND CHILDREN AND WATERMELLON WINE.

4. HE SAID OLD DOGS CARE ABOUT YOU EVEN WHEN YOU MAKE MISTAKES
GOD BLESS LITTLE CHILDREN WHILE THEY'RE STILL TOO YOUNG TO HATE
AS HE MOVED AWAY I GOT MY PEN AND COPIED DOWN THAT LINE
ON OLD DOGS AND CHILDREN AND WATERMELLON WINE.

5. I HAD TO CATCH A PLANE UP TO ATLANTA THE NEXT DAY
AS I LEFT FOR MY ROOM I SAW HIM PICKING UP MY CHANGE
THAT NIGHT I DREAMED IN PEACEFULL SLEEP OF SHADY SUMMER TIMES
OF OLD DOGS AND CHILDREN AND WATERMELLON WINE

carcajou garou
10-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Owl_girl, you call that list biased I am not very good at the internet,
here's where I got this one: http://www.leerburg.com/wolf2.htm
All I'm trying to say people get certain breeds to aquire certain traits and in doing so get a more predictable result.
Change or mix those breeds and it will vary the outcome a lot.
Now introduce a wild animal with a domectic animal and the traits become much less defined and controlled, even though they can breed together.
To many backyard breeders are producing these mixes with only dollars in mind and no though or care of the end results (as with domestic dogs).
You have come accross a pleasent mix, good for you.
With many of these attack there was a lack of adult supervision, an portion of the blame does rest in those cases, not only with the hybrid.

I can't quote but here goes:
"I wouldn’t purposefully put a child in danger but I’m not convinced that leaving a child with a hybrid is more dangerous then leaving one with a husky, germen shepherd, or any other big dog. So long as the dog is stable and the child is old enough to be responsible around dogs I don’t think the child is in that big of a risk."

I would not be willing to put a child (any child) in such a position, my personal beliefs not withstanding.
I am not trying to convince you, I think you have your own thoughts.

owl_girl
10-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Also carcajou garou I think you misunderstood what I meant by pack structure, I mean more like social structure, whether or not they kill there pray has little or nothing to do with pack structure. The biggest difference I can see from what I understand is wolves always prefer to be in a pack where coyotes may go solitary while food is plentiful and regroup when its not. But while there grouped up the structure seems the same. And when you take home a dog that dog should know that you and your family are his pack in order to be stable.

I do agree that wolves kill stray dogs but occasionally lone wolves will try to become part of dog packs so long as the dogs are larg enough not to look like pray. I’ve heard of this happening to sled dog teams. Whether or not this gives them the chance for possible breeding… it sounds possible but I don’t know, I do find it interesting though.

FVR
Thankyou for that list. Some of the best doges I’ve known were on that list lol particularly the German shepherd, I’ve also known some sweet Chow chows and Poodles. My mom tolled about a German shepherd her family had, when my mom was a little girl she wasn’t aloud by the lake that was on the edge of there back yard because the water got really deep and every time she would go down by it her German shepherd would come and grab her by the pants and pull her back up to the house.

owl_girl
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I didn’t call the list biased. I did asked for statistics and evidence from a reliable non biased source but your list is not statistics or evidence because it doesn’t show if hybrids are more likely to attack or not as I can list a bunch of dog attacks from any breed. I don't question the lists reliability I question its relevance no offence intended but like I said I can list a bunch of attacks from almost any breed.

FVR
10-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Here is a link about wolf hybrids.

http://www.apetsblog.com/dogbreedinformation/wolf-dog-hybrid.htm

This article about sums it up.

I at onetime wanted a wolf hybrid, but after alot of research decided that I did not have the room needed to raise one.

That is one of the wonderful things about chows. They make great apartment dogs yet also make outstanding yard and country dogs. Their temperment if trained well, is very pleasant even though the just scare the hell out of people.

Oh yeh, she was a blue chow...........Chick magnet! My roommate would take her down to the Chattahooche park, in his convertable Karma Gia and the phone number he got. The ladies all wanted to my little girl.

I only took Ashley off lead in the woods, never in public. Not that I was scared that she would bite or attack someone, rather I was scared some idiot would attack her thinking she was an attack dog.

owl_girl
10-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I’ve been to that site before and I have to say I disagree with the part about them owning you the way a cat dose, there is always an alpha and omega and for the human to be omega would be bad whether you have wolves, dogs, coyotes, or any mix there of.

trax
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I read an article that suggested that breeding wolves with dogs is a very dangerous idea, the outcome being a far more intelligent animal than either and very prone to wanting to be the 'alpha' animal. The guy who wrote it was supposed to be some kind of wolf behaviour expert. Forgive my not being able to offer appropriate footnotes but it was a long time ago and I forgot his name. From my own experience, wild/half-wild dogs are far more dangerous to human beings and far more likely to attack than either wolves or coyotes and they certainly run in packs. I would think that any wolf-dog hybrid or coy-dog would certainly rise to the alpha position in a pack like that.
I tend to agree with caracou, that if I see dogs running wild, I'm going to drop them.
Their survival skills are amazing by the way. I've been in communities up north where children have been mauled by dog packs and the packs roam loose all around the community. Fire one shot and the whole works of them disappear back into the bush.

I've also seen situations where wolves have attacked sled dogs.

owl_girl
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I read an article that suggested that breeding wolves with dogs is a very dangerous idea, the outcome being a far more intelligent animal than either and very prone to wanting to be the 'alpha' animal. The guy who wrote it was supposed to be some kind of wolf behaviour expert. Forgive my not being able to offer appropriate footnotes but it was a long time ago and I forgot his name. From my own experience, wild/half-wild dogs are far more dangerous to human beings and far more likely to attack than either wolves or coyotes and they certainly run in packs. I would think that any wolf-dog hybrid or coy-dog would certainly rise to the alpha position in a pack like that.
I tend to agree with caracou, that if I see dogs running wild, I'm going to drop them.
Their survival skills are amazing by the way. I've been in communities up north where children have been mauled by dog packs and the packs roam loose all around the community. Fire one shot and the whole works of them disappear back into the bush.

I've also seen situations where wolves have attacked sled dogs.

Different experts have different opinions. I have heard that hybrids are smarter then dogs but never did I hear that they’d be smarter then wolves and I really doubt it. Feral dogs can be dangerous whether or not they have wolf in them so if you see a feral hybrid that’s dangerous you cant just say its because it’s a hybrid but I’m talking about pets here and I’ve known wolf dogs and coy dogs and the wolf dog was not dominating, people say wolves are dominating but some are naturally omega, maybe this wolf dogs parent was an omega because I’ve seen dogs more dominant then that wolf dog ( dominant dose not mean aggressive btw ) also this wolf dog was not aggressive with strangers or other dogs and he lived with a child. I’ve heard “experts” say coy dogs were skittish and timid and that’s why they made bad pets but the one I know isn’t skittish or timid at all in fact it is the sweetest and most gentle of there 5 dogs and I’m not just saying that to push my point.
Now they are all well behaved dogs but considering the temperament of the coy dog which dog would I trust most with a child, the gentlest one…the coy dog, it would defy logic to trust the other dogs more just because he’s a coy dog, he has earned trust so he should have it regardless of his breed. I have been literally hunted by a germen shepherd, that dog was not herding me he was hunting me. He hid behind the stairs by the door and waited as my friends walked past him and out the door then as the door shut behind them I started walking that direction and he stepped out from behind the stairs lowered his head and looked at me the way the way a wolf looks at a sheep and started walking toward me slowly in a stalking manner kind of crouched down and I knew he wasn’t playing or herding me because this dog had tried to bite me a couple hours ago and I don’t just mean a nip at my ankles, the owners had put him up stars but he obviously got out. Anyway I yelled and my friends came running back in and grabbed him by the collar and locked him in the bedroom. Now I still think germen shepherds make awesome pets, I’ve known a lot of sweet ones and hey there still one of the best seeing eye dogs. If you see a vicious dog its more likely the owners fault because they didn’t understand the breed and that created the unstable behavior though the owners my not have realized it. Blaming it on the breed is a poor excuse fore the owners.

Yes wolves eat dogs but lone wolves have been known to try and become a member of a dog pack such as sled dogs.

LadyTrapper
10-09-2007, 04:35 PM
If you see a vicious dog its more likely the owners fault because they didn’t understand the breed and that created the unstable behavior though the owners my not have realized it. Blaming it on the breed is a poor excuse fore the owners.

Being an owner of Rottwiellers for over 15 years I hear more than my fair share of controversy on these and other breeds. I have raised them along with my children and never had any aggressive issues ...ever! No bad dogs, just bad or maybe uneducated owners.
As far as hybirds go, I have always been intrigued by them. I love wolves, but because of my kids, the youngest just four, would not own one now.
When you mix the heightened instinct of a wild top predator with the social human interactions of a family pet, you may get unpredictable behaviour of that canine, natural behaviour, no fault to the hybrid.
Still...I would not make judgement on anyone for choosing to share thier lives with a crossbred wolf/dog/ coyote.
I do think it can and does happen in the wild. The same wild wolf that kills dogs, may by the very same one that will breed with that same female ***** in heat at the right time of year. The instinct to survive and reproduce could no doubt override any predatory nature.

owl_girl
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I think that’s a responsible attitude, If your not sure about the breed don’t get it. I feel that way about all pets. Have you looked up Native Americana Indian dogs? Not to be mistaken for Americana Indian dogs. They look a lot like wolves. I plan to get one some day.

http://www.terrapines.com/images/Solo%206%20months.jpg

http://www.terrapines.com/images/Anakin%204%20years.jpg

http://www.terrapines.com/images/Jaina%2011%20months.jpg

This is where I got the pictures
http://www.terrapines.com/ourkids.htm

Some info on them.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nativeamericanindiandog.htm

corndog-44
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice looking dogs.

There's no doubt that a hybrid wolf or coyote can be a fine companion for those who understand their wild core. But the thrill of living with such a magnificent creature must be tempered by the knowledge that the animal will forever be unpredictable, that mistakes in training may never be forgiven, and that alpha status must always be reinforced. The average pet-owning family is much better off with "just" a dog.

Statistics from the Center of Disease Control and Prevention show that Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamuts and Wolf Hybrids are involved in most fatal attacks on people in the U.S.

By the way; coydogs can produce 2 litters per year against the 1 litter that coyotes produce.

owl_girl
10-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I hear the word unpredictable a lot when people talk about wild animals but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen an unpredictable animal (tame or not). They are governed by instincts and when you understand those instincts the animal is no longer that unpredictable. I’m not saying animals don’t have individual personalities as they do but they are still driven by instincts. Never have I seen a dog bite without warning, now whether or not the human noticed or recognized the warning is another story as a warning can be very subtle and very fast but its there.

It my indeed take a special person to raise a stable hybrid, someone that understands the breed, possibly someone who spent time in the field leaning wolf behavior, someone who has the time, and space. Such a responsible owner shouldn’t be criticized. From my experience a hybrid can be stable, it just needs the proper guidance.

LadyTrapper
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Native Americana Indian dogs! Never heard of this breed, but would love to own one someday.

Those statistics are accurate. The dogs listed have the power and strength to make a fatal attack. However, according to medical records and other research, so I have read recently, it is actually spaniels and their many breeds(brittanys, cocker etc) that have the most report of bites and aggressive behaviour leading to injury...not fatal however.
Regardless they can all make good well behaved lifelong companions leaving pawprints on our hearts!

trax
10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
You're certainly right owl_girl that there's plenty of experts with plenty of opinions and those are absolutely beautiful dogs btw. My point was, and still is, slightly different than what you're espousing I think. I have no doubt that coyotes or wolves will breed with a dog, trapped or wild, if the situation is right...hey romance is romance, lol. Anyone capable of raising an animal properly knows what animal they're dealing with and will train/raise that animal accordingly (hopefully). When I was a child my Dad used to take me to visit this old trapper who had a pet timber wolf (on a very heavy chain)

What I was referring to was how much more dangerous those hybrids become when they run wild. Even dogs...of any breed...running wild are more dangerous to people because they have no inherent fear, until a few of them get shot at, unfortunately. When one combines the wolf's intellectual superiority and the dog's familiarity with people, well there are situations where it's gotten pretty bad. The other problem that I've been witness to can be laid squarely at the feet of people (as usual) in the fact that dogs in some communities are breeding willy-nilly and any offspring that survive are left to run wild. Those communities then wind up with wild dog packs that are a threat to the weak and to small children. Often some of those animals are hybrids as well. I know of three different situation in about the last five years where children on northern reserves have been killed by wild dog packs. They may have been "just dogs" or some of them part wolf, doesn't much matter to the victims now, but I'm very familiar with the power and smarts of a wolf and the thought of making those wild dogs more dangerous, well,, I'd rather shoot first and ask later.

owl_girl
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
That’s sad that there’s such a problem with wild dog packs. I don’t have any in my area, at least not that I heard of.

I have heard by a lot of sources that keeping a wolf on a chain is bad for it and can sometimes cause unstable behavior. Sorry if I’m nit picking at your post.

trax
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't think you're nitpicking at all. Personally, I wouldn't keep a wolf---on a chain or off. One time up north I was out in the bush cutting firewood and I could hear wolf pups crying. I stopped what I was doing and tried to find the den, but never did. I would have stolen one at the time (females are left alone by the pack after birthing and are very weak while the pups are still suckling) In hindsight, I'm glad I never found them, because I've also had the opportunity to meet wolves in the wild and I can't think of a more magnificent creature.

I also remember seeing two wolves in a zoo and I had this sense that they both wished they were dead. It wasn't pleasant.

FVR
10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I've had my share of running into wild dogs while deer hunting in the NJ Pine Barrens. One time a pack chased us while we were riding our motorcycles, we got back to the truck and the bikes loaded just in time. Dogs were jumping all over the truck.

Seen them while deer hunting, that's why I always carry as many arrows as possible. Never had the notion to shoot one, never been attacked.

I don't hunt with those that shoot dogs in the woods. Had a friend who got pissed when a dog chased his deer away. He shot the dog, that was the last time I hunted with him.

I won't even shoot a coyote, most times they are just scardycats anyway.

Many years ago, I got a call from a gent out west about building pony bows. We started talking and he asked me if I was hunting his property and saw a wolf, would I shoot it. I told him I would not. When he asked me why, I told him that besides the mysticism around them, I don't eat dog. He then invited me to hunt his property.

He was a Blackfoot Indian and brother to the wolf.

owl_girl
10-10-2007, 09:58 PM
My grandparents dog’s sometimes get loose and go exploring. We’re always worried someone will think there wild and shoot, this almost happened once but luckily the guy saw their collars before he pulled the trigger.

I wouldn't kill a dog unless it tried to attack me.

HOP
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
I think it is mostly about socialization. If canines are keep on a chain or inclosed including a fenced yard they are more likely to be agressive. I have a mexican wolk shepherd male that I have had since he was 7 weeks and he is 2 years now he is friendly and many kids and people come up to see him he is black and a good loking dog. I keep him on a retractable leash when out except in the woods . he is playful with other dogs, he has been raised with other dogs, and he likes most people. His big brother that is a year older from the same parents is scary agresive and doesn't get much social mixing with people a small dog dug into the back yard and was killed and eaten. My point is that my dog from the same blood gets a lot of love and attention is great band big brother is too dangerious to be left with strangers. If some one has to chain or pen there dog for any reason owes the dog the time to get it out and pay atention to it.

trax
10-11-2007, 11:35 AM
It's really easy to tell the difference between a dog attacking, a dog planning to attack or a dog just running loose, same as any thing else. Just study the "body language" for a few seconds. The dogs I've been describing as running loose are running in packs and are always on the outskirts of a human community. When it's not safe for people to let their children play outside because they might get mauled to death by dogs, I have no hesitation about popping those dogs (perhaps I wasn't clear about that earlier) At the same time, I've seen peoples' pets run loose in those communities and guess what? They don't join the pack, they go home! Well cared for dogs tend to remain loyal.

As FVR pointed out, those dogs aren't "scaredy-cats" the way coyotes usually are. Personally, I have no call to shoot any kind of canine (especially wolves) and I'm not going to start dining on them either, but in the situation I've been describing, without hesitation.

wareagle69
10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
corndog do your stats show which breed of domestic bite the most?

you will be amazed at what the answer is..

owl_girl
10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I think Chihuahua are the most aggressive breed but they don’t get the bad rap because there to small to do any real damage. You know the ones that think they’re bigger then you, run in circles around you biting at your ankles.