PDA

View Full Version : trouble cleaning .22lr

loki
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I bought one of those universal gun cleaning kits that is supposed to range from .22, .30 and shotguns. It works great for my 30.06 and my shotgun but I cannot get the brush to go down the barrel. I even tried a bore snake. What am I doing wrong, is it supposed to be that hard to get the brush through the barrell? Seems funny as I don't have to use any force when cleaning the ought 6 or the 12ga..

Rick
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I have an Otis Tactical Cleaning kit but I haven't used the brush on a .22. I use Hoppe's #9 solvent and swab the barrel until it's clean then run clean swabs through it. I finish it up by swabbing the barrel with Otis 085 Ultra Bore Cleaner, lubricant and preservative. I finish the job by hand waxing the weapon with Turtle Wax ICE liquid car polish. I'm sure everyone has their own system but that's how I do it.

loki
06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
what do you swab the barrell with? See that is my problem I cant seem to get any cleaning rods down my barrell without extreme force.

Rick
06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
The Tactical Kit comes with small diameter wire rope encased in plastic. It's like a snake but there are different lengths and all of them can be screwed together. I thought you were having trouble with the bronze brush. Are you having trouble getting the patches to pass through or are you having trouble just getting the rod through it without the patches or brush attached?

loki
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Well the rod will go through by itself but if I try to put a patch on it, I have to push really hard and have had trouble getting it back out. The same goes for the .22 diameter sized wire brush. As long as there is nothing attached the rod itself goes in easily

rat31465
06-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Sounds rather basic I know but have you made sure you have a .22 cal brush and not a .25 cal?

Rick
06-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Loki - I don't mean to be condescending but if the rod fits and the rod with patch does not then I can only conclude you don't understand the basics of cleaning the weapon. If we were talking about paint brushes or coffee pots that would be one thing but we're talking about a weapon so I HAVE to be a little more critical here. I don't know you, your expertise or even your age so I'm going to suggest you take the weapon, along with your kit, to a qualified gunsmith and have them show you what you are doing wrong.

Again, I'm not trying to be a horse's *** but I'm sensing some red flags here so I want to make absolutely certain you know what you're doing.

loki
06-15-2009, 07:13 PM
no harm taken. Its just that I clean all my other firearms with no problem at all even my handguns. It is just this rifle that I am having trouble with. Still yet, I think I will take it to a gunsmith.

loki
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh, no it is not .25 it is stamped .22cal

loki
06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
GOT IT!. I know that I said that I was going to go to a gunsmith but I figured hey the KMart is less than a mile from the house, go and purchase another kit for under ten bucks and see what happens, if all else fails the gunsmith is always there. Well I did and the new rod and brass brush fit. I guess I must have had a defective one. I appreciate the advice on the gunsmith but I just had to figure it out because as I said above I have cleaned all of my firearms previously and without a hitch. It was only with this caliber that I have had a problem. Now I know why. Thanks all.

Ole WV Coot
06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Personal opinion only, 22 rifle barrels seldom need "real" scrubbing. When I was a kid I dropped a piece of fishing line, weighted down the barrel and tied a regulation loop on the other end, soaked a piece of flannel with nitro, pulled it slowly and let the rifle sit for an hour or so and ran clean flannel patches until clean.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-15-2009, 10:44 PM
WV Coot. That is the best definition of cleaning a gun I have ever heard!

Rick
06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey, it's Coot. Whadya expect? He doesn't come on here and tout dumb stuff. It's Coot!

swampmouse
06-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I had that same problem but thought it was me. I custom cut patches and use copper cleaner and lead out. Just push th patches thru. That brush I finally whacked it with a hammer on its sides killing the stiffnes and whammo!

SARKY
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
All I use now a days are Bore Snakes.