PDA

View Full Version : That's not big enough 4 hogs

glockcop
06-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I was talking with a co-worker the other day about hunting. We got onto hog hunting. He uses a .300 win mag for everything. I said , I have other stuff but all I ever use is my marlin 336 30-30 with regular old win 170 gr. power points. He said "you can't use a 30-30 for hogs....It's just not big enough". Well the next day I broke out sime pictures of sucessful last hunts. one particular hunt I had 4 down on the same day (140lbs and under). Well he went to buy a marlin or moss lever 30-30 the next morning while he was out of the office "Taking a statement" from a victim. I havent seen him since but I think I'll give him a call to see how it shoots. Looks like I created another convert to the "simple is good" way of thought. Besides, with a bumb shoulder I really don't like to take an a$$ wippin from my rifle. Watcha think guys?

rat31465
06-13-2009, 03:21 PM
.30-30 not big enough for Hawgs huh? Just how big are the hawgs he is hunting?
I grew up on a farm where we raised pigs for butchering in the fall. I have killed many larger than 140lbs with a .22 LR.
Hunting Wild hogs are only different due to the fact that you might have to take your shots at distances greater than 10 ft and less than perfect shot angles. Damn.....300 WM really? I suppose he also recommends using Nosler Partitions for greatest penetrations. Talk about over kill.

glockcop
06-13-2009, 03:32 PM
He's a great guy but he is into the bigger is better thought. He lost the trail of a deer shot with his 7mm mauser chambered ruger bolt and lost faith in normal size guns apparently. The last w-tail doe he shot (@ 95 lbs) looked like a howitzer went through it. A real mess with a shot high in the gut. She did not go far but jeeze. He has not done alot of hog hunting and thinks that they are some bullet proof mystical creature that can't be killed w/ less than a cannon. He will soon see what his new "cowboy rifle" will do. I'm sure he will be a believer.

crashdive123
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Sounds like he just needs to get to the range and work on shot placement. Just sayin.

rat31465
06-13-2009, 04:00 PM
He's a great guy but he is into the bigger is better thought. He lost the trail of a deer shot with his 7mm mauser chambered ruger bolt and lost faith in normal size guns apparently. The last w-tail doe he shot (@ 95 lbs) looked like a howitzer went through it. A real mess with a shot high in the gut. She did not go far but jeeze. He has not done alot of hog hunting and thinks that they are some bullet proof mystical creature that can't be killed w/ less than a cannon. He will soon see what his new "cowboy rifle" will do. I'm sure he will be a believer.

The problem with using Magnum Chambered firearms isn't from shot placement usually....its from the bullets themselves. These rounds are generally designed to perform and expand in larger, tougher animals than Whitetail deer.
A bullet designed for taking down a 2000 lb Moose, 1600lb Elk or 1200lb Bear just isn't going to expand in a 150 lb whitetail deer. So when the bullet strikes these softer skinned, smaller bodied animals, there isn't enough resistence to cause the bullet to expand and you end up with a small .308 dia hole shot all the way through the animal. (Might as well be shooting solids.)

I'm not saying that you can't kill a deer with a .300 WM...but if you don't want the animal running off just like it did with the hit from the 7X57 Mauser. You better choose your ammo carefully and find a bullet tailored to the game you are hunting.
Incidently...there was an African Hunter around the turn of the century named Comstock who killed every animal in Africa with a 7X57 Mauser. Including Elephant, Cape Buffalo and Lions.

glockcop
06-13-2009, 10:52 PM
I might use at least that 300 of his for the lion. cape b and elephants....hmmm......I want a 450 lott or a 416 rigby. Just dreamin though. can barely afford to hunt local.

SARKY
06-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Just tell him to get a mark 19 belt fed grenade launcher. It is obvious he is more interested in big bang rather than placement of shot. For years a hunted with a Thompson Center TCR single shot rifle in .308, you learn to take your time and wait for the shot....or no meat in the freezer.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-14-2009, 12:17 AM
.270 is a good caliber down here in carolina. I have seen a hawg shot with a .243 cal, followed by a 12 ga. rifled slug barrel and a 4570. The hawg ran off on 3 legs. Hawgs are tough...Guess it depends how you hunt. If your in a stand sitting on a feeder then.... well. In my experience we stalked and walked upon the hawgs!!!

glockcop
06-14-2009, 12:17 AM
The guy is a good shot. It was just one of those things that happen when an animal does not cooperate and runs a little too far. He has never lost an animal before that and it just ate him up. Thats when he went BIG GUN. By the way I just spoke with him and on our next hog hunt he will be using his new marlin 30-30. Apparently my pictures were worth a thousand words. He's a believer.He's prolly outa magnum mania now. Dam...I probably could have gotten that 7mm mauser ruger bolt out of him pretty cheap before this. hahaha.

glockcop
06-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Yeah cowboy I agree they are tough, but they go down when you do your part. Last year I used my 30-30 all of the gun season while hunting w-tail deer and did not loose any. In fact I did not have to look more than about 30-40 yrds max after the shot. two of the four were drt.

aflineman
06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
While I like my 45/70 for hogs, I have shot more with a 30/30 and 30-06. I would not ever feel under-gunned with any of my 30/30s.

Born2Late
06-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Due to our gun laws I use only 1 rifle for all my hunting,a7x57 mauser.I reload with our local powders and a Sierra 175gr Gameking.With that combination I have shot a lot of animals,all one shot kills.Impala(about white tail size) falls like magic if you hit them in the right place.Even bigger animals like Blue wildebeest and Kudu can be shot with this load.Although not ideal it can be used on Eland as well.Bulls can weigh about a ton.It all comes down to shotplacement.Avoid the big shoulder bones and shoot it through the ribs just behind the fore leg.On bigger animals wait for a perfect broadside shot.If you hunt there is no hurry.A guy named Karamojo Bell made the 7x75 famous by shooting more than a 1000 elephant with it.Not a magic calibre but will do the job if you do your bit.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Due to our gun laws I use only 1 rifle for all my hunting,a7x57 mauser.I reload with our local powders and a Sierra 175gr Gameking.With that combination I have shot a lot of animals,all one shot kills.Impala(about white tail size) falls like magic if you hit them in the right place.Even bigger animals like Blue wildebeest and Kudu can be shot with this load.Although not ideal it can be used on Eland as well.Bulls can weigh about a ton.It all comes down to shotplacement.Avoid the big shoulder bones and shoot it through the ribs just behind the fore leg.On bigger animals wait for a perfect broadside shot.If you hunt there is no hurry.A guy named Karamojo Bell made the 7x75 famous by shooting more than a 1000 elephant with it.Not a magic calibre but will do the job if you do your bit.

Born to Late,

You hit the nail on the head there was 3 of us and all of us avid whitetail hunters we were all shooting for the heart. Your direction not to take the shoulder shot is good advice.

Born2Late
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
A shot through the engine room ensures a kill every time.If the bullet exits it leaves you with a double blood trail to follow.People must learn to shoot at a target inside the animal,not pick a spot on the animal.You must "see" where the vitals are.Like every sport it takes practice and experience.The most important thing is to enjoy the hunt.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
A shot through the engine room ensures a kill every time.If the bullet exits it leaves you with a double blood trail to follow.People must learn to shoot at a target inside the animal,not pick a spot on the animal.You must "see" where the vitals are.Like every sport it takes practice and experience.The most important thing is to enjoy the hunt.

Well put! It is also important to know when your shot wasn't perfectly placed and learn from it.

Ole WV Coot
06-15-2009, 10:41 AM
In my area we get few extra long shots and a 30-30 is more than enough for anything. A decent hunter never shoots over 50yds and usually less for deer. Pigs, I have killed with a 22 also. Anyone besides me read that meat hunters at the turn of the century thought a 30-30 was way too much for deer? I keep a Marlin 30-30 by the kitchen door for coyotes and that's more than enough.