PDA

View Full Version : sak or one hand locking folder for woodsbumming

glockcop
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
What's ya'lls preference. I usually have little use for a corksrew in the woods but there are those times......... Seriously though. I find that a ferro rod and a good single blade locking folder (spyderco) has it's merits but the sak farmer is just nice and comforting to have when the trail doesn't look farmiliar anymore and it's gettin' late. who else is a farmer fan for "out there".

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I like the one handed knifes great to cut yourself out of chest waders if ya' dip 'em. One thing though I wouldn't have a serrated blade if it was free! Does anyone find the serrated blade useful?

panch0
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Man I love spyderco folders, I have owned a bunch. I also love good old slipjoints. I think a 4-5" fixed blade, a two or three blade slipjoint folder would be the knives I would like to have in the woods, maybe a leatherman also. SAKS are good also but the pliers on a leatherman is what sways me choice. As for a lockback folder, the walmart spyderco natives are awesome knives for the price. If you lost it out in the woods it wouldn't hurt as much as loosing a Caly3 or some other high price spydie. Just my $.02.

SARKY
06-13-2009, 12:35 AM
As far as SAKs go I am partial to the Hunter model. Locking main blade, small serrated gutting knife, nice large saw blade, etc. an all around good balance in a SAK. If I want pliers i'll go with my Leatherman. For any kind of heavy work I much prefer a well made fixed blade (i've had too many folders, even the well made ones, fail or their locks let go under heavy use.

glockcop
06-13-2009, 08:31 AM
thanks for the replies. i have a hard time deciding myself. i just follow the feeling of the moment most times.