PDA

View Full Version : Bug in ear

corndog-44
10-03-2007, 03:02 AM
The human ear can be an effective trap for small critters; the poor little critters simply blunder in and are trying to find their way out by frantically scratching around. The effect to the owner of the ear can be quite maddening especially if it gets down the ear canal. I wasn't exactly calm myself this evening when a bug flew into my ear :eek: I was pretty relieved when I got it out before it went down the ear canal.

trax
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I'll be sure to remember that next time I'm trying to trap bugs, LOL

Recurve Bowyer
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
What would you do if one went down the ear canal?

corndog-44
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I would try to flush it out with water and if that didn't work I'd go to the emergency room or doctor. If it happened in the deep woods, then what?

owl_girl
10-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Maybe you could kill it by smoking it. Put a funnel in your ear and hold it over smoke until it is dead, then atlases it will stop fluttering around, then you can have a doctor pull it out when you get to one. This is all theoretical though lol.

Sarge47
10-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Maybe you could kill it by smoking it. Put a funnel in your ear and hold it over smoke until it is dead, then atlases it will stop fluttering around, then you can have a doctor pull it out when you get to one. This is all theoretical though lol.

Smoked bug, is that anything like smoked salmon?:rolleyes:

trax
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Smoked bug, is that anything like smoked salmon?:rolleyes:

Just smaller, you need a lot more of 'em to make a meal.

Tony uk
10-05-2007, 04:48 PM
First kill it by either drownling it with water or starving it of oxeygen (Put your finger over your ear to cut off the oppening) then get a mirror anf a small pair of twesers and pull out the bug, Wash the area with antiseptic solution and the ear with earwash which you can get from the drug store

owl_girl
10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
The thing about smoking the bug was a reply to corndogs question about what if that happened when you were in the woods. There are other methods I’d try first if I was at home.

Survivor2.0
10-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Actually the worst thing you can do is kill it,if it dies and you cant reach it then it will rot and get infected and will end in you demise,If a bug flies into your ear and you cant immeadietly remove i advise you to seek the nearest medical attention.

owl_girl
10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Actually the worst thing you can do is kill it,if it dies and you cant reach it then it will rot and get infected and will end in you demise,If a bug flies into your ear and you cant immeadietly remove i advise you to seek the nearest medical attention.

I don’t know about that. I’ve seen this on a medical show where the bug couldn’t get out and the doctor had to kill it because it was so deep that the movement of the moth was starting to damage the eardrum. I’ve also heard of beetles getting stuck in peoples ear, die in there then come out later in a ball of wax.

Survivor2.0
10-05-2007, 07:04 PM
i see yer piont with the doctor,but that was medicaly supervised,i shuold refraser,Never kill a bug in your ear thats down deep without medical supervision.

owl_girl
10-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Well if it was damaging my eardrum and causing me intense pain and I was unable to get to a doctor for a few hours (lets say 6 or so) because I was way out in the woods then I’d kill it and let the doctor take it out when I get to the hospital. I doubt it will rot and get infected it that time frame. I’m not saying that’s what everyone ells should do but thats what I would do.

corndog-44
10-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I've heard about smoke being used to chase insects out of the ear. Wood or tobacco smoke may work...worth a try. After the smoke is in the ear turn the head so that the affected ear is up, and wait to see if the insect flies or crawls out.

Digging deeper into this subject the possible solution may be:

1) First turn the head so that the affected ear is down and gently shake the head.

2) If insect is still alive and it does not come out with gentle head shaking, pour a small amount of mineral oil, olive oil or baby oil into the ear to suffacate it especially if it's a large insect which can damage the ear drum during its' struggle to stay in the ear.
An alternative to oil is tobacco water which will kill or stun the moment it touches the insect. (Tobacco water is made by boiling tobacco in water, strain and let it cool down to the point where it's just warm). As you pour the tobacco water in the ear, pull the ear lobe gently backward and upward. The dead insect may float out in the tobacco water.

3) If you think the insect is dead and it has not yet come out with gentle head shaking, pour a small amount of warm water into the ear canal to flush it out.

4) If this doesn't work then a make-shift irrigation syringe must be found to irrigate the ear. Hollow stem plants like caraway or horsetail may be fashioned to work. Avoid poisonus plants. Slingshot power bands that's constructed with surgical latex tubing could also be used. Blow (not to hard) into these alternative syringes to irrigate the ear.

If the above doesn't work, tromp out of the deep woods and head for the nearest doctor or ER.

HOP
10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Many bugs wil come out on their own when you shine a bright light in the ear.

Justin Case
11-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Hmm,, Interesting idea,,,,

Rick
11-24-2010, 02:42 PM
You do know this is a 3 year old thread, right. My guess is the bug has died and the batteries ran down a long time ago.

Justin Case
11-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Silly Admin,,,,,, It's over 3 years old !

Rick
11-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Like I said.

SARKY
11-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Although for some it just might follw the light out the other ear.

LFM
11-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Although for some it just might follw the light out the other ear.

That's funny.:laugh:

Rick
11-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the chuckle.