PDA

View Full Version : forageing for food in a frozen landscape

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-07-2009, 05:29 AM
this is how to find food in the winter when the ground is frozen and covered with snow. the jerusalem artichoke is featured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6KBGziVEDg

Ken
06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Good post! Thanks, Gene.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-07-2009, 11:31 AM
i spent a lot of time there at various intervals to see what was available and when. many of the plants start to grow in first weeks of febuary. winter does offer some fresh plant life, things like winter cress ect...

Ken
06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I've relied on ice fishing and game, mostly ice fishing. Just a bit easier in my book.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-07-2009, 11:45 AM
the books always make it seem so easy, i love to ice fish my self, good way to survive too.

i wanted to show everybody how jerusalem artichokes grow with stinging nettle(Urtica)

a member of the sunflower family the leaves of the chokes are broad and pointed, dog banes and others of that class do not resemble them, and the roots grow close to the surface.
the russet red color easily recognizeable.

Ken
06-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Gene, I appreciate the post. My experience is simply that ice fishing is a lot easier FOR ME than searching for wild edibles hiding under snow and ice. With fishing, the food sorta' finds me instead of me finding the food.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
when i was young i lived in mich. on lake superior so ice fishing in winter and the smelt season were a life style in my family, a lot of my first experiences with nature happened while ice fishing.

here is some winter mussels from fla.

snakeman
06-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Erun, that is a neat way a roasting them, with the twisted stick, I will have to try that. We have lots of little snails no more than a quarter inch long that live in the creek by the thousands, but I don't know how to prepare them or any thing.

crashdive123
06-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Boil em, roast em, a little butter and salt. Eat em like popcorn.

Ken
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
foraging for food in a frozen landscape

It can't be THAT hard. :innocent:

lanahi
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
You can have pine needle or spruce tea. The same for inner (cambian) layer bark. Rose hips often stay on the bush for a long time into winter and can be eaten. There may be other berries still clinging to the vines, dried up, which can be reconstituted in water. If the creeks and lakes arn't frozen and you find cattails or bulrushes near the bank, the roots can be eaten. You might find edible lichen on the trees or on rocks. Maybe you can find a squirrels cache of seeds and nuts.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-12-2009, 06:32 PM
ha you got me ken!

that is indeed.... foraging for food in a frozen environment. (the marie calenders pot pie case is where you can catch me)

Rick
06-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Lanahi - Do you like rose hips? I would eat them if I had too so I could stay alive but they really don't taste very good. At least not to me. They have a very strong green flavor (can color have a taste?) that's pretty overpowering to me. I've never tried the cambian layer. Not that I wouldn't eat it but I've never seen a reason to damage a tree if I didn't have to. That's just me. I'd be interested to know what you think of it if you or someone else has tried it.

Pine needle tea is at the top of my list. It leaves such a clean feeling in your mouth. I won't do the spruce tea, though. Those blasted things are like needles. Not worth the effort for me.