PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful place you have hiked in?

Plastic Brick
06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Like many people on this forum, I love hiking in the woods and being out all day. I have had the opportunity to hike in Germany near Neuschwanstein Castle, and hiked through a field in Indonesia once.

However, the most beautiful countryside I have ever hiked in was in Branson Missouri on College of the Ozarks's campus. They own 1000 acres of land including forest. fields, streams, and farmland.

What do the rest of you think? What is the most beautiful place you have hiked in?

Rick
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Jeepers, that's a hard one. Fern Cliff or Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois is pretty spectacular. But I suppose the most memorable will always be Denali.

tonester
06-06-2009, 08:42 PM
sedona az. was really nice, kinda hot but well worth it.

SARKY
06-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Yosemite! early spring before all the tourists show up and there is plenty of water comming over the falls.

oly
06-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I cant choose from Brice canyon, arches, canyon lands, Zion, or in the forest.
so the only thing I can say is where ever I'm at when looking up at the mountains.

Schleprok
06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Seen lots of places around the world, but gotta say the prettiest country imho is outside Seattle WA and Portland OR. Pacific NorthWest has it going on. Didn't see Bigfoot tho....

FVR
06-06-2009, 11:51 PM
NJ Pine Barrens, Jan. 14, 1979.

Late season bowhunt, snow on the ground......then a snow storm blew in. It was snowing so hard that you could not see more than a foot in front of you.

I just stood in a clearing..........it was dead silent.........it was beautiful.......it was amazing.

mcfd45
06-07-2009, 12:37 AM
I once hiked into herford house in kansas city mo. Great view and amazing food.

tonester
06-07-2009, 02:00 AM
I cant choose from Brice canyon, arches, canyon lands, Zion, or in the forest.
so the only thing I can say is where ever I'm at when looking up at the mountains.

forgot about zion, that place is amazing. another beautiful place i forgot to mention is maui.

crashdive123
06-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Every place that I have hiked has had it's own uniqueness and beauty. Each has been spectacular in its own way. I'm not done looking yet, so I'll keep you posted.

oly
06-07-2009, 07:31 AM
forgot about zion, that place is amazing. another beautiful place i forgot to mention is maui.

And I forgot about the redwoods from Crescent city California and head north on Hwy 101 into Oregon ( somewhat of a popular vacation trip around here), and there again I see beauty in the desert when you learn to stop look and listen.

oly
06-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Every place that I have hiked has had it's own uniqueness and beauty. Each has been spectacular in its own way. I'm not done looking yet, so I'll keep you posted.

Now thats what Ive been trying to put into words, thanks crash.

Ken
06-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I once hiked into herford house in kansas city mo. Great view and amazing food.

Kansas City? Try the Plaza III or Arthur Bryant's. :tongue_smilie:

Ken
06-07-2009, 10:13 AM
There cannot possibly be a more beautiful place than the White Mountains.

DOGMAN
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Glacier National Park, Montana and Banff National Park, Canada

Sourdough
06-07-2009, 11:53 AM
It seems that humans find any location beautiful if it is devoid of Humans. The more you think about that..........the more telling......the statement is.

gryffynklm
06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
For me it would be two places in part because I will likely not visit again because of time and money. The area that I live in WV is becoming more amazing as I get to know it. Like Hopeak said, "It seems that humans find any location beautiful if it is devoid of Humans".

Savegre Costa Rica
and
Snowdonia, Wales

red lake
06-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Bruce Trail www.brucetrail.org
Appalachian Trail, I climbed Washington...on foot..twice
Highland Trail in Scotland. Only a 10km stretch from My wife's childhood home to her cousins farm up the Loch. Passed by Rob Roy' cave.

ClayPick
06-08-2009, 07:05 AM
I guess I’m a little biased but the Bay of Fundy shoreline comes to mind.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Back_Burner/bayoffundy.jpg

Rick
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Oooh. I forgot about that. The tides there are incredible. I spent a whole afternoon just watching the tides. It was an amazing experience. Hard to believe if you don't see it first hand.

Ole WV Coot
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
For pure enjoyment, the area with the signs of late 1700 and newer homesteads in areas taken for a flood control dam. I always take a good metal detector and have covered every inch of a place called Murder Hollow, a Civil War ambush my ggrandfather participated in on the Union side.

Plastic Brick
06-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah, but the Ozarks is nice too.

Plastic Brick
06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
"It seems that humans find any location beautiful if it is devoid of Humans".

Not necessarily.......

Ponce
06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
For me that would be the forest right here in Oregon bahind my home which I walk in just about everyday, the forest is like a church and the birds are the ones singing its praises to the one you call God...who the heck needs a building build by man in order to prove what you can see in the open?

Obsidian
06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Very difficult to decide, but I'd have to go with Three Sisters Wilderness, central Oregon.

One trip in particular was incredible: it was just starting to rain when a rainbow appeared. One end was going right in to Broken Top, a aptly named volcano ripped apart by...everything since it stopped erupting.

The next day...night actually, a lightning storm moved through, lighting up different sets of snow-capped peaks. What a show!

rat31465
06-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I really enjoyed the day hike I took in the Bad Lands of South Dakota...Thought the area was wonderful...That may be the Native American Blood coming out in me though as the others with me didn't seem to like it as much as I.

rat31465
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Like many people on this forum, I love hiking in the woods and being out all day. I have had the opportunity to hike in Germany near Neuschwanstein Castle, and hiked through a field in Indonesia once.

However, the most beautiful countryside I have ever hiked in was in Branson Missouri on College of the Ozarks's campus. They own 1000 acres of land including forest. fields, streams, and farmland.

What do the rest of you think? What is the most beautiful place you have hiked in?

I live 35 miles North of College of the Ozarks (Aka...Hard Work U) I hike the Mark Twain Forest frequently and was actually born and raised in Ozark Couty Missouri a little town named Theodosia...about 40 miles due East of Branson.
Many like the Spring season here but for me there is nothing like the Fall.