PDA

View Full Version : Lead Free Primers

Rick
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Here is one for you gun gurus (which might be anyone besides me).

Today's primers use lead styphnate, which contains lead, hence the name. As I understand it, lead styphnate replaced potassium fulminate, which was highly corrosive and I guess mercury fulminate was used even before potassium fulminate.

Anywhoooo. Since styphnate is lead based we all know it can cause a problem with airborne lead, especially in indoor ranges. Manufacturers started making lead free primers in response to said concerns.

Here's the question. While at the range today, the shop owner told me lead free primers will cause ammo to last only a year or two. It's the lead in the styphnate that allows ammo to last decades.

I've never heard that before. Is he full of black powder or is that a fact?

Ken
06-04-2009, 03:47 PM
25 Year Shelf Life?

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-138308.html

Rick
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Okay....fix the link.....I can't figure out where it's suppose to be going.

Ken
06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
According to PMC, the ammo's Reduced Hazard primers are a first for the industry and exceed current EPA standards. Testing shows they have a shelf life of 25 years, are water resistant and work with a standard flash hole and do not need to be crimped into the case.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_10_48/ai_110813839/

Ken
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Okay....fix the link.....I can't figure out where it's suppose to be going.

CHANGED the link. Just for you! (Actually, the first one was a link to a link and, never mind.

Rick
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM
"Shoot PMC Green in your service weapon and it will clean the barrel and fertilize your outdoor range."

Well, okey dokey, then.

Rick
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
A side story to the range. While I was there, a couple came in. Mid-70's. Neither had ever shot a weapon. The owner did the safety lesson and walked them through the targets and all that jazz. They had a .38 special and a box of 250 rounds (serious stuff). I shot, they shot, neither set of targets were flinching much (new .357 and new .9mm for me and the .9mm sights were waaaaaay off). I wrap up and I'm standing outside in the glassed area put everything away and the gal steps outside. We greet each other.

"First time?" I ask.
"Yes. I didn't know it would be so loud. Will it be this loud inside the house?"
I stop putting things away and turn to face her. "Inside the house?"
"You read all those news stories about break ins. That (pointing at the .38 the Mr. is still shooting) might not stop a break in but I intend to give them one hell of a surprise."
"Yes, ma'am." I said nodding. "It will still be loud. But, that's part of the surprise."
"Oh, I see," she said. "Good."

You gotta love older gals.

Ken
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
You come walking out in that thong of yours, Twinkie Boy, and just the surprise alone will kill any intruder.

crashdive123
06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
That's just so wrong on so many levels. Just sayin.

Rick
06-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey! You lookin' fer me?:noway: