PDA

View Full Version : tom brown

pilgrim
10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Tom Brown Jr. has written in my opinion some of the best books on wilderness survival and tracking... what are your favorite Brown Books?

Fog_Harbor
10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
"The Way of the Scout"

wareagle69
10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
i just packed up my books so i cannot remember my first tb book his first one if i do recall actually read it in your neck of the woods when i was attending hocking college there in nelsonville. do you live in athens or just attending ou.
have you gone to old mans caves,lots of memories for me..

what's on the spit

grown peculiar

only about the company i keep

you cook good rabbit pilgrim

nice to see another jj fan here.

Sarge47
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
...never heard of the gent before I joined this site. I already have plenty of survival books though.:rolleyes:

pilgrim
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah im going to O U im originally from a small town on the ohio/indiana border

Nomad
10-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Pilgrim, I'm no stranger to old mans caves. been there a few times. small world eh?

pilgrim
10-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah the web sure makes it alot smaller... Howbout red river gorge?

trax
10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I've only ever read one of Tom Brown's books, can't remember what it was called but it was about the alleged old Apache who he claims taught him all his bushcraft. I thought a lot of it was b.s., but you never know, it could be.

I've been lucky enough to learn some stuff from Indian elders and one of the most important teachings they have is about sharing what you have, including knowledge. So, even if Brown's story is true about his teacher (and I'm the first one to admit that a lot of the stuff that I've heard him advise people on seems to be right on the money), he got the information given to him. He also claims to be in touch with the same spirituality as North American Indians.

So, is Brown giving his knowledge away? Last time I checked he was making a pretty good buck off of it. Seems to be more and more "copy-cats" too, who claim to have all this traditional Indian knowledge probably because they drive Cherokees.

The one other thing I'd like to add to this little rant is that no book, by anyone, or one weekend or one week training course is going to replace getting out there and trying things for yourself. If you have a good,experienced teacher, all the better, utilize his/her wisdom. If not, start small and work up to bigger adventures.

Beo
10-31-2007, 06:09 PM
I met Tom Brown at his school (no I didn't attend) he's a nice guy and very knowledgeable, his ways are great and I have learned a lot from reading his books, wanna attend his school but after all my training I find it hard to give $800 bucks for him to teach me, don't mean I won't a lot though. Some of his stories seem to be kinda far fetched but who am I but one man who hikes it alone (sometimes with my boy) and I would never call him a liar.
Hey did he just sneek in here...??? Oh it was my dog. Thank goodness.
Naw just joking, he's a true professional and really good guy.

HeritageFarm
05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
I've read a couple. I like his style, although he does it as a way of living and I just like doing it for fun, or just to relax and allow myself to enjoy nature. Some of his stuff is far-fetched, like how he can identify a pregnant mountain lion with a full bladder? Or swimming in a lake in winter and enjoying it? Or when he says he wants to give his knowledge, but makes a wholloping potload of money with his school.
I would buy all his books though.

Mischief
05-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Tom Brown Jr. has written in my opinion some of the best books on wilderness survival and tracking... what are your favorite Brown Books?

Say WHAT!
Have you tried reading some of the old standards?
Mischief

huntermj
05-29-2010, 09:42 PM
i have several of his books, all very informative and well writen. In my eyes hes a bit, well how do you say this, trying to prove himself to others. Well anyway, a good frind of mine has taken several courses with him and is now an assinstint in instructing students. he thinks it great, and more power to him. But from what ive read its not my path.

HeritageFarm
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
His books are rather enlightening. They always leave me with this good feeling....... Of course, the best thing really is, to just get out there.

DOGMAN
05-29-2010, 11:55 PM
I am a little skeptical of TB myself. no doubt he is a master buschcraftsmen, but some of his stories are unbelievable. The Tracker has alot of stuff that seems like tall tales told by a kid with a big imagination...