PDA

View Full Version : Temporary? Setback For Chicago Residents

crashdive123
06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm sure this will eventually make it's way to the Supreme Court. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awIn1M4tWxi8&refer=worldwide

Pal334
06-03-2009, 11:56 AM
What a relief. We all know that this will deter those nasty folks from continuing their illegal purchases of firearms. And it will make sure that folks that have worked to build a life can not have any chance of defending it. Our ruling morons strike again

Ken
06-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Awful hard to respect a judiciary that can't understand the Constitution. :sneaky2:

Rick
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Huh?........

Ken
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Huh?........

I'm referring to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. The Second Amendment, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." and the Hiller decision are written in fairly plain English.

I see nothing in the Second Amendment which limits its application to residents of the District of Comumbia. The language of the Tenth Amendment clearly makes Hiller applicable.

Rick
06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
No, my huh was to the court's decision. What did they think the Supreme Court's ruling earlier this year applied to...San Juan?

crashdive123
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I've been listening to a lot of discussions on this lately. The ruling, while (wrong, stupid, ignorant, pig-headed (pick all that apply)) was thought to be a possibility. Some of the anti-gun zealots have used the argument that Heller applied only to DC, as they were controlled by the federal gov and not a state gov. They also wrongly argued that states were not bound by this. Unfortunately they have found a sympathetic panel of judges that agree. I guess by that logic, only the federal gov is impeded from infinging on our Constitutional rights while states can infinge away........hopefully, this too will be overturned.

Rick
06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
That puts things like search and seizure equally at risk in my book. It looks like the feds have to comply but not the states or cities. I can see the arguments now.....

"You can't draw and quarter him. We found him first!"
"Your just a city, we're the state we have jurisdiction!"
"Uh, you can't draw and quarter me. It's against the Constitution."
Both agents look at each other and start laughing.
"That only applies to federal agents."
"Oh, okay, then."
"Seriously, we get him."

Ken
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I've been listening to a lot of discussions on this lately. The ruling, while (wrong, stupid, ignorant, pig-headed (pick all that apply)) was thought to be a possibility. Some of the anti-gun zealots have used the argument that Heller applied only to DC, as they were controlled by the federal gov and not a state gov. They also wrongly argued that states were not bound by this. Unfortunately they have found a sympathetic panel of judges that agree. I guess by that logic, only the federal gov is impeded from infinging on our Constitutional rights while states can infinge away........hopefully, this too will be overturned.

This is the first time I've ever heard a legal argument that the Bill of Rights only applies to residents of a federal district and not to residents of the several states. But, hey, I've only been doing this for 25 years.......... The 7th. Circuit Court Justices know far more than I do. Can you say "I M P E A C H M E N T ?"

crashdive123
06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
This is the first time I've ever heard a legal argument that the Bill of Rights only applies to residents of a federal district and not to residents of the several states. But, hey, I've only been doing this for 25 years.......... The 7th. Circuit Court Justices know far more than I do. Can you say "I M P E A C H M E N T ?"

What's the point right now - they'll just be replaced with younger versions of themselves. Wait - this may be delving into politics - I'll stop now.

oldsoldier
06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Soooooo.... who ever said a politican or a fed judge had ANY common sense anyway??