PDA

View Full Version : Survival Tuna

Ken
06-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Just a thought here. Many of us keep supplies of canned tuna in reserve.

Most "experts" recommend canned tuna in water for dietary and caloric-intake reasons. However, tuna in oil, once drained, will leave you with a decent amount of cooking oil which can be used to prepare other foods.

Sardines (incredibly long shelf life) and other fish also come canned in oil.

If using canned veggies for soups, use the entire contents of the can, including the water the veggie is packed in.

Runs With Beer
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
You know thats a good idea, We buy tuna packed in water because thats what my wife likes. But packed in oil you have another resource to use. Good post Ken.

Pal334
06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
You bring up a good point. If or when you have to use the stockpile, the water versus oil arguement goes out the window. I confess I never gave it much thought before. Also an advantage is that the oil variety around here seems to be less expensive.

gryffynklm
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Hmmm food for thought. I like tuna packed in water but I think I will Rotate in cans of oil packed.

crashdive123
06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I stock a lot of tuna. While it is a good idea, I much prefer the taste and texture of tuna not packed in oil. My tuna of choice is Starkist Albacore in the foil packs. This type doesn't seem to be packed in much of anything. Since my "stockpile" of tuna is what I eat on a reguar basis (always store food you normally eat right?) I think I'm going to have to stick to the non-oil packed tuna.

Ken
06-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I actually prefer tuna in oil. However, my waistline suggests I should eat tuna in water. So, in a survival situation, my waistline may just have to suffer a bit. :innocent:

crashdive123
06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Oh, please don't misunderstand. In a survival situation food is what is available, not what is preferred. I do store quite a bit of food items as part of my preparations. Most of what I store are things that I eat on a regular basis. I probably started eating the tuna that I do for the same reason that you state. Just turns out that I like it better now. It is a good idea though - kind of the same practice of using the entire kill in the wilds.

Rick
06-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm a packed in water guy, too. I buy Kroger brand because, frankly, it seems like there is more tuna in the can and I can't tell the difference in taste.

As for the sardines, if it doesn't come packed in mustard I really don't want 'em.

It's a great idea though. I wonder if tuna oil will burn? You could certainly use it for lubrication. Lot's of uses. Stinky uses but lot's of uses.

welderguy
06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
We buy what ever tuna is the cheapest that sale, I have no preference on oil or water packed, wife prefers water packed tuna.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
1479the wierd thing is that my wife and i discussed this very subject today at the grocer.

the foil packs stay fresher, they can be frozen(try that with a can). and the foil packs have a much longer shelf life(loner than that even if you refrigerate)

we switched over to the foil packs when they first came out a few years ago.

vthompson
06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree with Crash, I like Starkist Albacore Tuna in the foil packs.

Sarge47
06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Don't forget to tell your grocer...."Charlie sent you!":innocent:

Ken
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't forget to tell your grocer...."Charlie sent you!":innocent:

I'll tell him I took the bus. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-transport029.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

chiggersngrits
06-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I like the starkist with sunflower oil in the foil packs. Its moist enough to eat right out of the pack, but doesn't seem to have the excessive oil that the can tuna has.

Ken
06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I like the starkist with sunflower oil in the foil packs. Its moist enough to eat right out of the pack, but doesn't seem to have the excessive oil that the can tuna has.

If I use the foil pack, I squeeze in one individual serve pack each of mayo, relish, and onions. Instant tuna salad.

Rick
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
I'll have to look for the sunflower oil version. I didn't know they made that and haven't seen it. The foil paks were a bit dry for me but I've used them. The sunflower oil would probably solve that.

You can, obviously, pick up all kinds of meats in foil packs today. Salmon and chicken are two I've taken will me to the woods. I really like the chicken ones. You can even get BBQ chicken.

Ken
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm waiting for the Four-Cheese Thin Crust House Special Pizza WITH ANCHOVIES to come out in foil packs. :innocent:

Rick
06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
You knew better....

http://www.ehow.com/how_2198988_pizza-foil-pouch-camping.html

Ken
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks! I've made 'em that way AT HOME, but not in the woods.

laughingbeetle
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
You can get Spam in foil pouches too.

Pal334
06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
SPAM!!! The meat of the masses. Deployed once with a Hawaian National Guard unit and they brought spam in the can by the pallet load!!!

crashdive123
06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
You can get Spam in foil pouches too.

Well yeah, but the cans seem to be single serving.

crashdive123
06-03-2009, 11:10 AM
SPAM!!! The meat of the masses. Deployed once with a Hawaian National Guard unit and they brought spam in the can by the pallet load!!!

Spam, rice and poi are diet staples in Hawaii.

Sarge47
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
You know what they say....You can tune a piano, but you can't "Tuna Fish"!:fishface:

crashdive123
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Don't worry folks. If you missed him, you can catch Sarge's act in the lounge between seven and eight on week nights.

Swamprat1958
06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
It sounds like a good idea, but can you imagine hwo tuna flavored eggs would taste?:tongue_smilie:

SARKY
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Aside from the secondary uses of the oil in the tuna, the oil it self is a source of calories where as the water is not. I prefer the foil packets both for weight an longivity of storage. Also I can get salmon, clams,and shrimp in the foil packets along with the tuna.

Rick
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I used to be able to find small cans of spam but all I've seen lately are the standard sized ones.

the oil it self is a source of calories where as the water is not.

Precisely why I don't buy it. I don't need the calories.

trax
06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
*By swimming extremely slowly, using my natural tones and a group of porpoises for cover, I easily elude the feeding sharks in the area. My new Infra-red Laz-Lite goggles spot the outlines of the humans net and with a gentle flick of the tail fin, I by-pass them. I am in no big rush to find food, I keep a secure stock of Purina Tuna Chow at my base camp. This is the type of skill I've developed over years of preparation and by logging on to wilderness survival dot net. I sneer at those fool tuna who stayed in school*

From the journals of survival tuna

Rick
06-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I sneer at those fool tuna who stayed in school

Yes, but the tunas that stayed in school all got ivy league jobs, made a lot of money, retired early and live in the Bahamas in a gated community called Scombridea. They have Japanese servants and spend their days playing Blackfin and Skipjack.

trax
06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes, but the tunas that stayed in school all got ivy league jobs, made a lot of money, retired early and live in the Bahamas in a gated community called Scombridea. They have Japanese servants and spend their days playing Blackfin and Skipjack.

---OK, I have to give them that, because that's a survival skill all of it's own. We all know that StarKist doesn't want tuna with good taste, they want tuna that taste good

from the journals of Survival Tuna...

Mischief
06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
The tuna oil can be used for traping
Punch some holes in the can and use as chum in water
Just two that I use, other then for food
Must be a whole lot more