PDA

View Full Version : least favorite primitive fire making method

corndog-44
10-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Of all the primitive fire making methods which is your least favorite method? Mine is the hand drill.

Fog_Harbor
10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Hand drill, followed closely by fire plow.

Sarge47
10-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Waiting for a lightning strike to set something on fire and hoping it ain't me!:rolleyes:

trax
10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Least favorite--fire drill, I'm just awkward with them:mad:

Most favortie--that little clicky button on the side of the gas grille in the back yard, whoosh--fire! guess that doesn't count as primitive though:rolleyes:

pilgrim
10-02-2007, 04:17 PM
fire saw... i havnt been able to do it yet and it really agrivates me

MCBushbaby
10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
two-rock method. Trying to find two rocks that will spark against each other is a pain in the @ss

SemperParatus
10-14-2007, 04:19 PM
two-rock method. Trying to find two rocks that will spark against each other is a pain in the @ss

That's more myth than fact anyway. Iron pyrite (fools gold) is the only one that does that. Good luck finding that in a survival situation.

FVR
10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I beg to differ with the rocks being banged together.

I've banged many rocks together and have gotten sparks with a variety of rocks that were not flint.

The big problem with banging two rocks that are like together, is that sometimes they shatter and will cause serious damage to your hands. Never spall two like rocks.

Getting the spark is the easy part, getting it to catch on tinder is the tricky part. Now if you want to use cotton balls with vaseline, may make it easier. I heard about this and can't wait to try it.

Problem is that in N. Ga right now there is a fire ban since there is such a bad drought. Let you know how this works later this year.

Racking my brain, I have picked up these rocks across the street and have made good sparks and have even made arrowheads out of a few. After much brain strain, asked my wife. Quartz! Sparks great. Makes a good arrowhead but really tough on your wrists. The rock is super hard and because of the fractures, it sometimes pressure flakes not how you want it.

Cherokee indians use to make some pretty arrowheads out of it.

corndog-44
10-15-2007, 01:47 AM
That's more myth than fact anyway. Iron pyrite (fools gold) is the only one that does that. Good luck finding that in a survival situation.

Even though the two-rock is the crudest method of igniting a fire it is possible with a lot of practice. Sparks are produced by striking a small hard rock against a larger rock.

Magnetite or hematite (which are high in iron and would be better than pyrite) struck against flintstone should do the trick.

SemperParatus
10-15-2007, 09:27 AM
No one that I've ever talked with about this who's tried has ever had any success. Not even once. I figure it's kinda like bigfoot. It may be out there but what are the odds of encountering it?
I vote the 2 rock method as my least favorite method anyway. One to be used only out of desperation and only if you know of no other way. I know other ways. If I'm in a situation that calls for primitive fire building, I'll have too many things too worry about to want to add "nursing my hands back to health" to the list.

HOP
10-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Gota be bow and drill even the old timers said it was the most difficult to do.

warrigal
10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Bamboo saw still haven't got it.
On the two rocks it would be just my luck. Desparate need of a fire and no fools gold only the real stuff.
Carl