PDA

View Full Version : Edible Violet Greens

preachtheWORD
06-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I had read that the greens of wild violets were edible, but I had not tried them until yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised!

I expected them to be bitter, like dandelion or really tart like sorrel, but they were actually quite mild.

They also contained a mucilaginous quality, rather like okra.

I would like to know if anyone else here has tried violet greens and if you have any advice as to how to use them in recipies.

Thanks!

Rick
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
How about munching your way over to our Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

preachtheWORD
06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I just introduced myself in the general forum.
Thanks!

Rick
06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I actually had to look violets up so, obviously, the answer is no. I've seen plenty but never eaten them. Looks like they are handy for salad, cooked greens, soup thickener, tea and candy.

Don't know why I haven't tried them just didn't think about it I guess.

Thanks!!

Ken
06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Your yard can be a produce department even without planting a garden.

I've eaten violets in a number of ways, both raw and cooked. There's another yard veggie that's quite edible and often much more plentiful. Clover.

preachtheWORD
06-02-2009, 02:20 PM
There's another yard veggie that's quite edible and often much more plentiful. Clover.

I have tried clover on numerous occasions. The large Red Clover (the one with the purple flowers) is actually pretty good - at least, the white part of the flower is. White Clover flowers are not nearly as sweet.

Clover greens, on the other hand, are a little too tart for my taste. I would eat 'em if I had to, though. I have only had them raw. They might taste better cooked.

How would you prepare clover greens?

Ken
06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
How would you prepare clover greens?

I've lightly sauteed them with butter, green beans, chopped onions, garlic, and sprouts, and I've steamed them with other veggies, adding them a few minutes before the rest were done. I've also just washed them and tossed them in a dandelion salad.