PDA

View Full Version : The wife is getting in intrest in firearms

welderguy
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
My wonderful wife is starting to get an interest in firearms , She has already taken possession of the old double barreled shotgun, for 3 reasons, one its pretty ( has a very nice carved stock),two its simple to use , and three it requires no real aiming skills. Problem is she is scared to shoot it because she has heard how hard a short barreled 12 gauge kicks, So to get her comfortable shooting it I am thinking of getting a 410 gauge insert for her. until then I am going to get her shooting the 22 single shot rifle.

Now she is talking about getting a handgun, she saw a pink kel-tec at the gun shop and liked it but said it was too big for her hand, So I suggested a lady smith 38cal wheel gun, but she wants a semi-auto So some suggestions on a thin, light semi-auto pistol ( preferably pink lol ) in 380auto or 9mm would be appreciated. I'm even considering maybe a makarov or a tokorove ( spelling).

Now the big question, a rifle for the Misses,she has shot my 30/30 once and couldn't handle the weight or recoil, so I am thinking a Rossi youth Model: R243YMB 243win, she looked at a couple and really likes the looks of the weatherby vanguard in 270cal. What are all the Lady's around the forum shooting, and what would some recommendations be, keeping in mind the following.She is 5 feet 1 inch tall, 120 pounds, no shooting experience except for 20 or so rounds thru the 22.

Pal334
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I think I saw this site from another post on this forum. The inserts look good, and the prices seem reasonable. At these prices several calibers can be purchased, working her up slowly to full power? You are fortunate, my wife wants nothing to do with shooting or firearms.
http://www.mcace.com/

welderguy
05-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks pal. that was an old post i started when I first heard about the inserts. and still havent got any yet.
My wife didn't have an interest till she has gotten more into current events and local news, as well as listing to the police scanner and hearing of all the bad things and people out there.
as well as her maternal instinct to protect her little one our 3 year old son. she still wont go hunting with me but does have the I will kill an animal for food if I have to, to survive attitude .

Pal334
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Aaah,, I haven"t purchased any either, one of my cousins did and he says it is great for starting out the kids inexpensively. Nothing more deadly than a Mama protecting her "cub"

nell67
05-31-2009, 02:55 PM
22 riflr,had a Lorson 380 handgun,but I sold it. 410 is a good choice for her in shotgun,then she can move on to something with a little more kick if she wants.

Like her I am 5'1 and xyz lbs,by the way,better hope she never reads that you posted her weight,or you might want to give up on getting her a gun :) (just kidding)

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Nell ,
guess ill have to get a bullet proof vest prior to getting her a gun LOL.
The 380 you had did you like shooting it, was the recoil manageable for follow up shots. Thanks for your input.

Rick
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Posting her weight? That's the kind of thing that gets women interested in weapons!!!

Be cautious of the 9mm in a small handgun. The recoil has to go somewhere and it winds up in your hands. I carry a Kel-Tec PF9. It's a great handgun and I really like it but I don't think my wife would shoot it twice because of the recoil.

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Aaah,, I haven"t purchased any either, one of my cousins did and he says it is great for starting out the kids inexpensively. Nothing more deadly than a Mama protecting her "cub"

after looking at the 410 insert again on line I'm starting to have some issues about them and that is this, the insert is only 8 inches long , a shell is 2 3/4 inches so thats 5 1/4 inch of barrel before the shot starts to expand , now how much expansion will occur in a 18.5 inch barrel, and what damage will it do to the 18.5 inch barrel.

and a protective mama she is.

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Posting her weight? That's the kind of thing that gets women interested in weapons!!!

Be cautious of the 9mm in a small handgun. The recoil has to go somewhere and it winds up in your hands. I carry a Kel-Tec PF9. It's a great handgun and I really like it but I don't think my wife would shoot it twice because of the recoil.

I have very little experiance with compact or even sub compact semi-autos, all my experiance is with full size semi-auto, or a charter arms undercover in 44spcl. so thank you for the heads up on the kel-tec.

nell67
05-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Nell ,
guess ill have to get a bullet proof vest prior to getting her a gun LOL.
The 380 you had did you like shooting it, was the recoil manageable for follow up shots. Thanks for your input.

It was ok,but a little heavy for me,since I shoot offhanded,(right handed,but shoot left),so I am looking for a smaller handgun myself.

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Nell,
heavy as in weight of the pistol or the recoil?

nell67
05-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Nell,
heavy as in weight of the pistol or the recoil?

A little of both,but remember,I shoot offhanded,the weight is just a little odd for me,best thing to do,is take her to a range where she can try different guns,to find one that she is comfortable with.

sgtdraino
05-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I've been very happy with my Kel-teck P3AT, and I can guarantee it isn't too big for her hand. She might even be able to get it in pink!

She might be even more comfortable with the .32 version, though. I think it's called the P32. Less recoil.

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:32 PM
A little of both,but remember,I shoot offhanded,the weight is just a little odd for me,best thing to do,is take her to a range where she can try different guns,to find one that she is comfortable with.

thanks for the input, We talked about going to the indoor range so she can try a few, just trying to find the time now.

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:36 PM
sgtdraino, Thanks for that info I wasn't aware that kel-tec had a 32cal.

chiye tanka
05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd stay away from semi-autos until she has more range time. Revolvers don't jam, and until she's learned how to properly clear a jam in a semi-auto, I wouldn't get her one.
Women want what they want. My ex wanted a Kimber. While I was over-joyed to hear her ask for such a fine weapon, I told her no because she was scared to death of guns in general and wouldn't even fire my .22.

welderguy
05-31-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree chiye tanka, but I figure after going to the range and test firing a couple different calibers in both semi-auto and wheel guns Ill let her decide. and im thinking she will like the smith model 442 over the semi-autos

SARKY
05-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Have you checked out an SKS for a rifle? It's semi auto, 7.62X39 is still available in quantity, it doesn't kick much and has the same power as a 30-30.
Walther makes their P-22 in pink!

welderguy
05-31-2009, 07:47 PM
sarky,
She thinks a SKS is butt ugly , remeber were talking about a gal that wants a pink pistol lol. but yes i have suggested it to her.

crashdive123
05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
My wife has been shooting a small Tarus 357 (shooting 38 rounds) and doing quite well. Last time at the range she gave my S&W SW9F. She said it was more comfortable to shoot and kicked less. So yeah, anything in the sub-compact range is going to have a bit of kick.

Ole WV Coot
05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Here's another to run up the flagpole. If she likes the 12 save the money and start her with skeet loads and be sure she has hearing protection. I personally would forget a 410 period. I have bird hunted some with a 410 and it takes more skill than you would expect. Lack of recoil ain't worth it. If she won't go past a skeet load open up a few and reload with BBs. Now to handguns, never a semi auto. A 22 revolver is great to learn with and she don't need anything but the front sight to learn to point shoot at about 7yds or less to start. The revolver should be DA and teach her to shoot that way. My wife has a S&W mod. 60 38 which is short range point shooting period, she can't rack my 22, 9, 40, 45 or 380 without being a little dangerous. My opinion which ain't worth much is skeet loads in the 12, 22 DA revolver and make sure with the hearing protection, glasses. Teach respect for firearms without frightening her, then the operation of both firearms, dry fire both with snap caps if necessary. You can generally pick up flinching that way or jerking the trigger. I was taught as a youngster by someone loading a revolver with an empty chamber or so. Snap on an empty shows mistakes quickly. Skip the cute handguns for now, get the basics down. This is just my short lesson. I will PM you where to send the check.

SARKY
06-01-2009, 01:38 AM
How about a Ruger Mini-30? Also instead of 410 inserts get 20 ga inserts and use light loads. 410 is just way too expensive as compared to 20 ga. You might also look into just getting some Aguilla 12 ga. short shells. They are only slightly more than half the length of a 12 ga shell with way less kick.

chiggersngrits
06-02-2009, 10:12 PM
what about a remington 870 youth model in 20 ga.? lightweight, short lenght of pull and i think they make some with girly looking stocks.

welderguy
06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Were planing a window shopping trip sat or sun in Ft worth The gun shows in town. Well a window shopping trip for her , I am planning on getting a XD in 45 or a sigma in 40, havent decided yet.

crashdive123
06-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Get em both.

welderguy
06-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Thats a solution I could live with. But i will have to save till the next gun show for the other, because thats not a solution my wife can agree to.