PDA

View Full Version : Buying Simple Tools

Ole WV Coot
05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Remy floored me with being fingerprinted for purchasing ammo. I had a somewhat similar experience when in KY yesterday I picked up a folding pruning saw. It is a cheapo from Wally's. When I went to pay for it I was told that if I had looked much, much younger like 18 I would have been asked for ID to prove I was over 18. Naturally I wasn't asked but looks like simple tools can't be sold to youngsters I know that enlisted right out of high school. I didn't tell the clerk I lived in another state, wonder if I would have been denied the lousy saw? What about an axe, hatchet or chain saw? :sneaky2:

crashdive123
05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
.....or spray paint.

doren
05-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Wal-mart carded me for a can of spray webbing years ago. Where I work you get carded for Nyquil and other similar products. These are not the meth making items, It's not the alcohol content, and not surprising no one in management can tell me why.

And normal society wonders why people want to run off into the woods.

chiye tanka
05-30-2009, 09:07 AM
When I was a kid, you could buy b.b.'s, now you have to be 18.
What's next?
Clerk: I need to see some I.D.
Kid: For toilet papper?
Clerk: Yep!!!!

Pal334
05-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Too many rules trying to legislate "safety. I am 54 years old, and successfully survived uncontrolled spray paint buying, BB buying etc. As this continues, our kids grow up in a coccoon.

Rick
05-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Some of the stuff I can see. Spray paint being one. You see graffiti and you just want to slap the living...or the huffing.

Some of the stuff boggles my mind, though.

laughingbeetle
05-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I got ID'd at wallyworld for purchasing a BIC lighter. Nevermind the 4 canisters of propane, cheap machete and lamp oil...They were worried about the BIC.

bulrush
05-30-2009, 07:31 PM
In the 1990's they took a fingerprint to put on your check, to guard against check fraud and credit card fraud. That store no longer does that and I don't know any stores that still do.

Never been carded for buying a lighter here in Michigan. Been carded a few times for buying alcohol, because the store is required to card EVERYONE regardless of age (state law). I was in my mid-30's then and clearly over 18. But the cashiers have relaxed the carding issue since then.

crashdive123
05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Back in the 80's I tended bar on the weekends. Washington state has (had) some unusual laws for those that sell alcohol. There was an ABC Inspector in the bar one night - I got fined for not carding a woman. She was 72.

laughingbeetle
05-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Uhh... Just how stupid... what the...?? Oh never mind. I should talk, I live in NY. LOTS and LOTS of idiot laws around here. Common sense? A penny on the ground is common sense to these yahoos. Lately they are trying to ban .50 caliber weapons. They are afraid the terrorists will buy them, or something to that effect.

Ken
05-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Yep. I had to hand over my license to buy Sudafed last year. One lousy package. Now 50 packages? Yeah, something would be up. But just one? NO COMMON SENSE IN SOME OF THESE REGS! :sneaky2:

laughingbeetle
05-30-2009, 07:54 PM
After awhile I just shake my head and move on. I don't have a banking account, I just cash my check at the grocery store, and pay bills with moneyorders. So about 10 months ago the store started having customers fingerprint their paychecks, for security purposes. Anti identity theft and all that. So I just shook my head and said whatever. Here's my fingerprint, thanks for cashing my check, I'll see ya next week.

Rick
05-30-2009, 11:17 PM
I'd love to be carded by anybody for anything. All folks say to me is, "Oh, you get the senior's discount." and I say, "You bet."