PDA

View Full Version : want to add mullein to the foraging database but.....

oneraindog
05-26-2009, 02:03 PM
im no expert. when i look at other plants in the data base i see extensive descriptions of their uses, cultural histories, etc.
i dont know much more than its good for making tea, expectorant, common things like that. if i were to add mullein to the list can others add descriptions?
if i do a little research and write my own description can it be edited if i make a mistake?
since the database is a very valuable information resource i dont want to do this wrong.

Rick
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes to all of the above. Others can add information and any of it can be edited. Don't worry about a short description. Put down what you KNOW it can be used for. If someone else has a use they can add it in or if you find a nice description later on you can go back and edited it.

oneraindog
05-26-2009, 02:40 PM
oh and do i have to have a picture for the data base? and does it have to be a pic that i took?

Rick
05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Technically, you can probably post the data without a picture but I'll let Chris answer if he wants it done that way. The idea behind the database was to be able to identify and locate a particular plant. Not knowing what it looks like is a definite problem.

oneraindog
05-26-2009, 02:47 PM
i would agree. just asking to cover all the bases. im sort of OCD like that. thinking maybe people could do a google search for images if there werent any in the dtabase listing.

does it have to be a pic we took?

Rick
05-26-2009, 02:50 PM
If you post one that you did NOT take make certain it is in the public domain. Most pictures on websites are copy righted and swiping a pic could cause Chris some problems.

I'll also let him speak if he wants pics posted that identify where they were swiped from.

Jewelweed: Photo credit - Photoswipe.net

Chris
05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Try the USDA Plants database

http://plants.usda.gov/gallery.html

Search for uncopyrighted images of what you want.

And yes, it needs to be something uncopyrighted or something you took. and yes, a picture is required.

Otherwise, Rick answered all the questions fine.

Chris
05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
by the way, I've got a port of that database, and I'm integrating it directly into the site.

oneraindog
05-27-2009, 03:59 PM
so does it usually take 348756237845 years for all the info to upload on a new plant or is it just my computer? :)

edit: it finally did upload but the picture doesnt show up :/