PDA

View Full Version : The O.D.W.S.K.!

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Okay, here's the Poll. These are all fixed-blade knives with all of the criteria I've listed; vote away!

Chris
05-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I vote for Finn Bear for two reasons.

1. I can get it wholesale.

2. Sometime in the next week I'm going to be a Dad, and we're naming the boy Finn. So, it is serindipity.

nell67
05-23-2009, 05:32 AM

2. Sometime in the next week I'm going to be a Dad, and we're naming the boy Finn. So, it is serindipity.
Congratulations Chris,on June 5th,I become a grandmother again,well that is when they induce,anyway. A girl named Hannah.

chiye tanka
05-23-2009, 02:53 PM
The Finn Bear. It's stainless and I like the handle better.

tsitenha
05-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Voted for the Mora in carbon steel, but like the CS roach belly in use shape other than the SS blade material.

Pict
05-23-2009, 10:28 PM
I have no reservations recommending the Moras with the recommendation they be paired with a heavy hitter like a machete or hatchet. Mac

Sarge47
05-23-2009, 10:49 PM

2. Sometime in the next week I'm going to be a Dad, and we're naming the boy Finn. So, it is serindipity.Foul! Foul!
I claim bias! Just kidding! As the proud father of a Sergent of the United States Marine Corps just let me say Congrats!:cool2:

Sarge47
05-24-2009, 09:15 AM
That's interesting, the Mora knife has a long lead in the race. C'mon folks, cast those votes, we're not talking about "Hopeak for Prez" here! That's a completely different thread! :cool2:

trax
05-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't vote because I don't think it matters. Know what you're doing with whatever knife you have, that's what matters.

I think they're all probably good deals in the price range they're in.

sgtdraino
05-25-2009, 07:02 AM
I will refrain from voting, as I have no direct experience with any of the knives in the poll.

Sourdough
05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
i Will Refrain From Voting, As I Have No Direct Experience With Any Of The Knives In The Poll.

Ditto................

crashdive123
05-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Yep, me too. I don't have experience with the top three.

crashdive123
05-25-2009, 07:23 AM
I like the idea of being able to recommend a good quality knife to those in search of one that have a limited budget or limited knowledge of knives. Knives, like guns, food, and friends will most likely cause a group of 100 to have about 101 opinions on the topic. I do like your efforts Sarge in being able to provide this kind of info to those that seek it. As a thought about recommending knives - why not have a list? A list that would include knives under $25, knives between $26 and $50, knives between $51 and $75, knives between $76 and $100, and then knives over $100. This could also carry over into folders and multi-tools. Most have said that they would not rely on one knife while out, why limit recommendations? One of the drawbacks to my recommendation would probably be the size of the lists.

Rick
05-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I won't vote either. Three of those I've never used so any vote would skew the results. I think Crash my be on to something, too. We have a book sticky that lists several very good books. A list of several good, inexpensive knives could be added to the survival knife sticky for anyone interested in a knife of that type.

Sarge47
05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I like the idea of being able to recommend a good quality knife to those in search of one that have a limited budget or limited knowledge of knives. Knives, like guns, food, and friends will most likely cause a group of 100 to have about 101 opinions on the topic. I do like your efforts Sarge in being able to provide this kind of info to those that seek it. As a thought about recommending knives - why not have a list? A list that would include knives under $25, knives between $26 and $50, knives between $51 and $75, knives between $76 and $100, and then knives over $100. This could also carry over into folders and multi-tools. Most have said that they would not rely on one knife while out, why limit recommendations? One of the drawbacks to my recommendation would probably be the size of the lists.Actually, that's not a bad idea. I've also been toying with the idea of a "Knife Buyers Worksheet;" where somebody looking for a knife but isn't sure which one can can work through a series of questions & the recommendations could then be given. However I've since come to the conclusion that there wouldn't be that many questions. Perhaps age, amount budgeted, knife experience, location where the knife would be used, under what conditions, What tasks, other than survival, would the knife be used for, physical handicaps, if any...that sort of thing. Then, perhaps, we could also have the list. However, while I feel that both the Ontario RAT 7 as well as the Ka-bar Fighting knives are very good knives, there would be several instances where I'd not suggest them. I figured the Mora knives were a good knife to recommend to someone just starting out for the following reasons:

1.) Low on cost while long on quality.
2.) Highly recommended by some of the best experts in the field.
3.) Full-tang, fixed blade knives which is the best choice for a Primary knife, especially for beginners.
4.) Safe-Zone not only carries a full line of them, I did some research & found it to be the lowest price so rae & it's owned by one of our members.
5.) There was another reason that I chose Safe-Zone, but that involves
what Rick does so I don't want to mention that here.
6.) Also, regarding Safe-Zone, I understand that, at some point, Rick will
be getting the Ontario RAT 5 in, so if someone has to have a bigger, heavier, more costly knife they'd have one available, but the Mora would STILL be my recommendation!

The current problem that I see when a newbie comes on here & asks: "Which "survival" knife should I buy?" Then doesn't give us anymore info could then get this response. Well, after some extensive research, we've come up with the best low cost, best quality survival knife to be the Mora knife and it can be found here at one of the lowest prices. (give link) If that doesn't do it for you go to this sticky & read what the other members have said in answer to this question in the past. (Give links to "Survival Knives" Sticky.) Anyway that's my "buck two-fifty.) :cool2:

Sarge47
05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Is the Mora really full tang by the way ?Based on what I've seen, yes; however I've been wrong before!:cool2:

RangerXanatos
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah...a list like that would be mor-appropriate.
It's a good idea !

Is the Mora really full tang by the way ?

No.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/StretchNM/Mora-Xray.jpg

crashdive123
05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah...a list like that would be mor-appropriate.
It's a good idea !

Is the Mora really full tang by the way ?

I don't believe they are (not sure about all styles). Some are half tang, some are rat tail tang.

crashdive123
05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, there you go. Thanks for the pic RX.

Sarge47
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Now THAT's interesting. Still, however, given that fact, they're still a great value for the money, & like I said earlier, I don't plan on ditching my Ka-Bar anytime soon!:cool2:

Schleprok
05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Didn't vote, wasn't a spot for other.
Gotta agree with Crash on this one. Need a list, perhaps group top 5 in each category by price range. Lotta folks new to this stuff, on a tight budget.
Personally, been packing a folder or fixed blade for more than 40 years. Never paid more than $30 for one, usually less. Never had one let me down when I needed it.

Sarge47
05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Okay, tell you what; I don't want to come off as a dictator here so I'm willing to agree to a list with the following stipulations:

1.) Someone else put it together & present it before the group for approval. When it's done we post it with a "Sticky" for easy referral to anyone who asks.

2.) We add, in brackets, who's choice a certain knife is;
i.e. "Ontario Knives RAT 7: (Remy's Choice.)" something like that.
This will also demonstrate who thought about the choice to be made
giving credit where credit is due; making it more of a united effort.

3.) The proper research is done listing the best price for any model listed
there-by keeping everything in the seeker's best interest. An example
is my Kabar Bull Dozier: I paid out $67 for it but have seen it listed
elsewhere for over a hundred!

Any other input will be welcomed & this should make it a joint effort by the Wolf-Pack.:cool2:

chiye tanka
05-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Ok Sarge, where do you want this thread started?
I'll kick it off and see where it goes.

Sarge47
05-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Ok Sarge, where do you want this thread started?
I'll kick it off and see where it goes.Thanks man, The Survival Knife forum would be the best place!:cool2:

chiye tanka
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM
10-4.
I'll get on it.