PDA

View Full Version : Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
This court is now in session, Super-Mod Sarge47 now presiding! The topic open for discussion is what knife should/could be used for the "Official Designated Wolf-Pack Survival Knife! Here are the guide-lines so Pay Attention!

1.) Low Cost, under $30!

2.) Good quality!

3.) Easy Availability!

4.) Light enough/ease of handling for anybody!

That's it, this forum topic is now open! when we get several that are in the ballpark I'll post a "survey thread" & everybody can vote, okay?:cool2:

My choice: The "Mora".

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Forgot #4!:cool2:

chiye tanka
05-22-2009, 03:06 PM
The Cold Steel Finn Bear is also a great knife and runs around $15.00.
The draw back is it's stainless, but here in FL, that's a good thing.
Just my 2 cents, I've got them both.

tonester
05-22-2009, 03:16 PM
i dont own this knife but i hear a lot of good reviews about it, its the Buck Omni Hunter. this site where i get a lot of my blades from sells it for $26.94 which i think is really good for a Buck knife made in the USA. heres the link if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BU390BK

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Does Chris get a vote, and is there a sponsorship fee? I mean, if we're going to endorse a knife, Chris may as well make a couple of bucks from it.

oneraindog
05-22-2009, 03:40 PM
well the frost mora is of course the old stand by. it fills just about all the requirements.

this isnt really a suggestion because it breaks the <30 dollar rule but these are some nice knives:
http://www.cloudberrymarket.com/servlet/the-PUUKKO-KNIVES-FINLAND/Categories

there are a few in the 40-60 dollar range (not THAT far away from 30), they are BEAUTIFUL, very well made, easy to sharpen, on and on.
i just got a set in the mail and i think im going to break up with my girlfriend to run away with them.

remy
05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Just to name a few...

Ka-Bar Little Finn Hunting Knife.
Ka-Bar hunter knife.
Ka-Bar skinner knife.

Gerber freeman drop point.

Ontario air force survival knife.

Orix-8 NL Muela knife.

SOG Field pup.
Full retail at $40...but can be found for just above $30.

BUCK woodsman is just above $30.
(just don't buy a new DVD that month)

FINN bear.

Canadian belt knife.
(ontario)

mcfd45
05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Why do we have to have an official knife? I would think the members would choose which knife works best for them. Some like a RAT, some like a mora, some go for a CRKT, some for a kabar. Why does it have to be under $30? Why does it have to meet sarge's recomendations? Before we have an official knife we need to have a vote. If the members vote a majority then go ahead and put up your wonder knife. I myself prefer a swiss army knife or a leatherman.

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
I said UNDER $30 & that's what I meant. Also remember knife weight; just because we big 'ole macho guys can handle it doesn't mean someone else can.(some of you might remember when Remy was looking for a lt-wt handgun for his wife.) So remember, we need to get as close to a "one-size fits all" as we can. List a price where-ever you can because I'll be going by that also & I'm not doing your homework for you.:cool2:

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 05:01 PM
well the frost mora is of course the old stand by. it fills just about all the requirements.

this isnt really a suggestion because it breaks the <30 dollar rule but these are some nice knives:
http://www.cloudberrymarket.com/servlet/the-PUUKKO-KNIVES-FINLAND/Categories

there are a few in the 40-60 dollar range (not THAT far away from 30), they are BEAUTIFUL, very well made, easy to sharpen, on and on.
i just got a set in the mail and i think im going to break up with my girlfriend to run away with them.Remember, some people may not have that much cash, so the under $30 rule is what I'm going by. Also, it doesn't mean that someone can't add to it later on!:cool2:

oneraindog
05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
isnt a knife one of those things you dont want to skimp on though?
is 55 dollars really too much to save up to if youre going to get a quality piece?
seems like one of those things you invest a little more in for less headache later on.
im no expert thats just what i assume based on what ive experienced with everything else besides knives ;)

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 05:38 PM
isnt a knife one of those things you dont want to skimp on though?
is 55 dollars really too much to save up to if youre going to get a quality piece?
seems like one of those things you invest a little more in for less headache later on.
im no expert thats just what i assume based on what ive experienced with everything else besides knives ;)How is buying a Mora for $15 "skimping" when Survival experts/instructors highly recommend it? What if the person in question only has $20, do they do without? Just because you have the cash dosen't mean every one else will, especially right now with the finacial hard times we're going through. Finally, what about all the other factors I've mentioned? You didn't address them.:cool2:

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
I've done some checking & the following knives qualify; all others listed so far are disqualified as they exceed the price I've posted or are not readily available. I will reconsider if the original posters can post a link that says otherwise.:cool2:
While visiting the Ontario section of a low-cost distributer I found the old Ontario Air force Survival knife now at $35. How ever I also found that they make the Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter for $14.95. Given Ontario's excellent reputation I will also post this one on the Survey.:cool2:

Cold Steel Finn Bear: Now $18/wt. 2.8 oz.
Buck Omni Hunter: @ $27.
Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter @ $15.

Keep those nominations coming in folks.:sneaky2:

Canadian-guerilla
05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
is there a total knife cost ?

i've lost/misplaced 2 Cold Steel Master Hunters, @ $100+ each

today i could buy 6-7 moras for that price,
and if i lost one, eh, i've got 5 more

the only requirement i have of a knife is a full tang, fixed blade
and i believe the mora satisfies both

mcfd45
05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I've done some checking & the following knives qualify; all others listed so far are disqualified as they exceed the price I've posted or are not readily available. I will reconsider if the original posters can post a link that says otherwise.:cool2:
While visiting the Ontario section of a low-cost distributer I found the old Ontario Air force Survival knife now at $35. How ever I also found that they make the Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter for $14.95. Given Ontario's excellent reputation I will also post this one on the Survey.:cool2:

Cold Steel Finn Bear: Now $18/wt. 2.8 oz.
Buck Omni Hunter: @ $27.
Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter @ $15.

Keep those nominations coming in folks.:sneaky2:

How is a swiis army knife or a Leatherman disqualified? Both can be found under 30 bucks?

Mischief
05-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Given the rules,and following the rules it's a Mora.

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:33 PM
These are all $5 or under. The Buck Knife in the center was a freebie for buying a case of pesticide. The two little key chain knives were $1 each. I do not rely on one of these alone while out in the wilderness, but I probably have one of them with me.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives013.jpg

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:39 PM
With the exception of the Coleman Western (fifth from the left) all of these were $10 or under. The Buck was a freebie from a customer - she was throwing it out because it was in such bad shape from sitting outside in the garden for two years. It cleaned up pretty good.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives012.jpg

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Knife on the left - under $15. Mora - $10.50. Third from left - freebie (sort of) with a contribution to the NRA-ILA. Buck in center - more than $30. Three on right - $16 for all three (used of course).

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives011.jpg

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Every knife here - under $30.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives010.jpg

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Knife blanks - with scales - $8 each.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives009.jpg

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
All four of these kukris were under $30 each.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives006.jpg

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:51 PM
These were also under $30 each.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Weapons/Knives005.jpg

Rick
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
If you post your wife I'm signing off!!!!!

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
My point to all of the preceding posts that I made is that you do not have to spend a lot of money to have a good quality knife. I would (and do) take any pictured with me into the wilderness. I never venture out with just one, but you do not need to break the bank to have a good quality knife that you can rely on - and there are lots of options available.

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 07:54 PM

She is priceless.

Rick
05-22-2009, 07:56 PM
And she's probably looking over your shoulder.

crashdive123
05-22-2009, 08:01 PM
You should see her collection of knives.

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 08:27 PM
How is a swiis army knife or a Leatherman disqualified? Both can be found under 30 bucks?They're folders, not fixed blades which would hold up better.:cool2:

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
My point to all of the preceding posts that I made is that you do not have to spend a lot of money to have a good quality knife. I would (and do) take any pictured with me into the wilderness. I never venture out with just one, but you do not need to break the bank to have a good quality knife that you can rely on - and there are lots of options available.Very good, Crash, but MY point was what should we designate that would speak to any Newbie coming on here & asking that age-old question: "What kind of/which Survival knife should I buy?"? Remember the member with the ad for the $5,95 "Rambo Special"? Also remember oft times we know very little about these people, age physical limitations, etc. I can tell you right now that with my wife's health problems she wouldn't be able to handle most of the knives you posted pics of. We're not talking about "personal preference" of our own knives, but rather a good quality knife at an affordable cost, going with "the lowest common denominator." Also remember that anybody asking doesn't have to follow our advice. (& probably won't, anyway.):cool2:

mcfd45
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
They're folders, not fixed blades which would hold up better.:cool2:
A quality folder will hold up just as well as a fixed blade.

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
A quality folder will hold up just as well as a fixed blade.That's bogus, & every Survival expert I've studied would agree with me! By it's very construction a folder is weak at the pivot point & risks breaking there. Folders are for back-up only! Your losing credibility here posting nonsense like that!:cool2:

RangerXanatos
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
A quality folder will hold up just as well as a fixed blade.

I agree to an extent. It depends on the folder itself and how it's used.

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I agree to an extent. It depends on the folder itself and how it's used.Remember, we're talking about newbies here!:cool2:

RangerXanatos
05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Remember, we're talking about newbies here!:cool2:

Point taken.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-22-2009, 09:03 PM
awsome collection there.....

what i like about my knife,
it strikes natural flint,
it has a leather handle,
its thick enough to use as a hatchet or chizel
it holds an edge,
the pommel is a good hammer.

mcfd45
05-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Remember, we're talking about newbies here!:cool2:
Who said this knife was for new people? As I recall it was going to be the wolf pack recomended knife? And what is it that you have against new members?

oneraindog
05-22-2009, 09:29 PM
How is buying a Mora for $15 "skimping" when Survival experts/instructors highly recommend it? What if the person in question only has $20, do they do without? Just because you have the cash dosen't mean every one else will, especially right now with the finacial hard times we're going through. Finally, what about all the other factors I've mentioned? You didn't address them.:cool2:

whoa easy. youll notice i stated in my first post that the mora qualified all your requirements.

THEN i went on to mention the scandi knives with the preface that they dont meet the price requirement. they do however meet all your other requirements i think.
by "skimping" i meant more that you wouldnt want to trust your life to something cheapo unless you knew it was backed by experience. hence my agreement with the mora nomination
arguing price was just thinking out loud. i didnt mean to step on your toes.

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 09:33 PM
whoa easy. youll notice i stated in my first post that the mora qualified all your requirements.

THEN i went on to mention the scandi knives with the preface that they dont meet the price requirement. they do however meet all your other requirements i think.
by "skimping" i meant more that you wouldnt want to trust your life to something cheapo unless you knew it was backed by experience. hence my agreement with the mora nomination
arguing price was just thinking out loud. i didnt mean to step on your toes.You didn't step on my toes, just raised a few more questions that I came up with. There's nothing wrong with an exchange of ideas. My point was to help someone with limited funds to find a decent knife WITHOUT getting 50 or so varied suggestions that left them just as confused as when they 1st asked the question. I didn't mean to step on YOUR toes; if I did I apologize.:cool2:

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Who said this knife was for new people? As I recall it was going to be the wolf pack recomended knife? And what is it that you have against new members?Lighten up! I've come to the conclusion that you're trying to be part of the problem as opposed to being part of the solution. Go back & read all my posts on the other thread that led up to this one, then maybe you'll understand. Otherwise, if you don't care for the idea then leave it be!:cool2:

mcfd45
05-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Lighten up! I've come to the conclusion that you're trying to be part of the problem as opposed to being part of the solution. Go back & read all my posts on the other thread that led up to this one, then maybe you'll understand. Otherwise, if you don't care for the idea then leave it be!:cool2:

No need to lighten up here, I am just curious why the knife is intended for new people. I would like to see folding knives and a multitool added to the poll.

Sarge47
05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Okay, I have several knives to list on the Poll question, so I'm closing this one & going to the new thread.:cool2:

Sarge47
05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
And what is it that you have against new members?I've re-opened this thread as I wanted to think about this question before answering. 1st, it's off-topic & is a "leading question", like the question: "When did you stop beating your wife." It assumes that one is already guilty of beating their wife & is now trying to establish a motive. Any answer the person being questioned gives will support that assumption.
So I will answer it this way: I have nothing against New members, but I do have a problem with Spammers, Trolls, Numpties, and those looking to just stir crap up! Clear!:cool2:

mcfd45
05-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I've re-opened this thread as I wanted to think about this question before answering. 1st, it's off-topic & is a "leading question", like the question: "When did you stop beating your wife." It assumes that one is already guilty of beating their wife & is now trying to establish a motive. Any answer the person being questioned gives will support that assumption.
So I will answer it this way: I have nothing against New members, but I do have a problem with Spammers, Trolls, Numpties, and those looking to just stir crap up! Clear!:cool2:

I am not assuming anything. You recently posted a poll where you had been accused "again" of being combative towards new members. I don't appreciate it when you start a thread like this.

"Listen up all you Newbies, Numpties, & Bear Grylls/Les Stroud/Ray Mears/Tom Brown/Ron Hood/Cody Lundin wannabes! And this goes for those of you who DO know your crap also!"

I am not a spammer as I have posted few sites.
I am not a troll despite living in the LP.
I don't know what a numpty is.
I am not looking to stir crap up, I only ask that you be less condescending toward new members, who knows they may be smarter than you.

Jay
05-23-2009, 11:22 AM

knife vs wife! I always thought the two were pretty much the same. Sharp and with the potential to do real damage!

remy
05-23-2009, 01:12 PM
"That's bogus, & every Survival expert I've studied would agree with me! By it's very construction a folder is weak at the pivot point & risks breaking there. Folders are for back-up only! Your losing credibility here posting nonsense like that!"
Sarge

What about Les Stroud and his leatherman ?

"Lighten up! I've come to the conclusion that you're trying to be part of the problem as opposed to being part of the solution. Go back & read all my posts on the other thread that led up to this one, then maybe you'll understand. Otherwise, if you don't care for the idea then leave it be!"
Sarge

Maybe you are the problem ? Have you ever considered that ?

"Okay, I have several knives to list on the Poll question, so I'm closing this one & going to the new thread."
Sarge

How convenient...

"1st, it's off-topic & is a "leading question""
Sarge

Like most of your polls and questions...Like this very thread.
In fact, you are the king of the "leading question".

Anyway...i thought bringing folders and multi-tools to the mix was relevant.
Les uses the leatherman.
Military personnel and cops have folders and multi-tools.
EMTs have folders and multi-tools.
SAR have folders and multi-tools.
And so on...
None of them have the Mora.

Sarge47
05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I am not assuming anything. You recently posted a poll where you had been accused "again" of being combative towards new members. I don't appreciate it when you start a thread like this.

"Listen up all you Newbies, Numpties, & Bear Grylls/Les Stroud/Ray Mears/Tom Brown/Ron Hood/Cody Lundin wannabes! And this goes for those of you who DO know your crap also!"

I am not a spammer as I have posted few sites.
I am not a troll despite living in the LP.
I don't know what a numpty is.
I am not looking to stir crap up, I only ask that you be less condescending toward new members, who knows they may be smarter than you.Why did you assume I was talking about you?:cool2:

Tony uk
05-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I voted for the Mora. Its a good, sold, low cost knife that nearly all people should be able to use comfortably.

Sarge47
05-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Les uses the leatherman.
Military personnel and cops have folders and multi-tools.
EMTs have folders and multi-tools.
SAR have folders and multi-tools.
And so on...
None of them have the Mora.You forgot "Smokey the Bear!" Since you included him in with these folks on another thread, tell me; does he speak English or French?:innocent:

Sarge47
05-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Since this thread has run it's course now, I will colse it once & for all. See you in the voting!:sneaky2: