PDA

View Full Version : Can I fire short rifle rounds in my long rifle?

bulrush
05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I may have need of plinking varmints with little or no noise.

What are some other quiet rounds? My pellet gun is louder than a .22 cal. so I can't fire that.

Pict
05-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Try .22 CB longs. I have used them on rabbits and they work great with head shots. They are very quiet from a rifle. Mac

ETA - In answer to your question about shooting shorts, yes. You can shoot shorts out of a gun marked .22 lr but understand that you will form a ring of fouling at the end of the short case roughly in the middle of the .22lr chamber. Eventually that will need to be scrubbed out. If you don't you may get a stuck case or very hard extraction when you switch back to .22lr. You can get away with a few shorts here and there with no problem but if you feed it a steady diet of them then make sure to scrub the chamber, problem solved. Shorts typically won't feed well in a lot of guns set up for .22 lr, especially if the gun uses a box magazine. They won't cycle a semi-auto. Most tube-fed bolt actions handle them well.

Sourdough
05-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Remington makes Sub-sonic .22 rimfire ammo. Also the longer the barrel the quieter. I once had a .22LR Mauser training rifle with a 27" Barrel, and shooting sub-sonic ammo it was nearly soundless.

SARKY
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
A firearm chambersed for .22LR can safely fire .22 shorts, long, long rifle, CB )which is a ball type bullet powered by only the priming powder) or .22 shot shells.
Aguilla also makes a sub sonic round, theirs uses an extra heavy bullet which makes it most effective.

SARKY
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
you didn't say what make a model of firearm you have.

Clem
05-22-2009, 06:19 PM

What are some other quiet rounds? My pellet gun is louder than a .22 cal. so I can't fire that.

I have a CZ 452. It has a 25" barrel. The long barrel, with RWS Subsonic HP ammo, which is designed to be quiet, is very quite. I have shot it in the basement of my home. The bullet impact in my little bullet trap makes more noise than the discharge of the rifle. I can shoot it without hearing protection indoors.

Rick
05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I wish I knew half as much about firearms as you guys do. It's truly impressive.

So I assume the same would be true for my 10/22? using sub/sonic would cut down the noise?

Ole WV Coot
05-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I wish I knew half as much about firearms as you guys do. It's truly impressive.

So I assume the same would be true for my 10/22? using sub/sonic would cut down the noise?

I hope you can feed CB caps into your 10/22. Me I take three and if I can fat finger one round in dropping only two in a few minutes I have done well. One at a time is a skill I haven't mastered.:blushing:

mcfd45
05-23-2009, 12:13 AM
I happen to know feeding rounds into my taurus 92 will break the extractors. I understand it is apples to oranges (centerfire/rimfire) but could loading a round into a semiauto (10/22, marlin 60. etc) damage the rifle in any way? I myself am not sure.

Sourdough
05-23-2009, 01:05 AM

Yes, but it will not discharge the spent case. After each discharge you will need to manually pull the bolt handle back ejecting the spent case, and when you let go it will load a .22LR Sub-sonic. Now for the CB rounds, just remove the magazine, and hand insert the CB into the chamber, and you'll have to pull the bolt to eject spent case.

Or there is a lot to be said for people who can afford it, to own a real nice .22 Rifle, like the CZ model 452 or model 453. www.cz-usa.com and you live near the largest CZ dealer in the country, which is who we all order CZ's from, because of there price discount.

RobertRogers
05-23-2009, 02:19 PM
You might try .22lr sub sonic. Still have a report, but much less than the regular round.

SARKY
05-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Volquartsen actually makes a conversion kit for the 10-22 that will allow you to feed .22 shorts in the 10-22 and they will cycle (lighter bolt) I would just opt for the .22 short magazine and cycle them through manually

Yakov
05-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Mosin Nagants are pretty cheap. I'd buy an m91/30 and use that. It's not very loud.

Ken
05-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Mosin Nagants are pretty cheap. I'd buy an m91/30 and use that. It's not very loud.

How about shooting over to the Introductions Forum and telling us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
i hve used cane to light gun powder just generate heat with friction.it works good!

Ole WV Coot
05-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Remember what Pict said about fouling with shorts & CB caps. It also will happen if you feed your 357 revolver a diet of 38 Special ammo. Sometimes hard to scrub clean.

Obsidian
06-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Pellet gun louder than a .22!!

That must be one heck of a loud pellet gun. Most data I've seen has a pellet gun around 90 db and .22 at around 110 or 124.

As others have said, you can shoot subsonic rounds in quite a few guns, but it will be a pain in semi-automatics. The round may not cycle the action, which means you may have to use it as a single shot.

Much easier with a lever action or bolt action gun. The advantage of a lever action like a Henry is that you can shoot .22 LR, .22 Long, .22 short, .22 LR subsonic. They will eat just about anything.

One note about Aguila Super SubSonic (SSS) ammo (60 grain): its dirty and leaves a lot of gunk in the chamber. On my rifle (Marlin 795), it was so slow burning that flames are still present as the action is cycling.