PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Tonyc
09-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi, I just went a free class at REI a couple of days ago on Wilderness Survival, which got me searching the web for more info. And I found myself here...cool site and the forums look good.

I do a lot of hiking and some backpacking, and realize that I need to learn at least a bit about wilderness survival because I know very little. I don't really even know how to build a fire except to get a pile of wood and light some matches, which probably wouldn't work. Well, I have a general idea, but have never done it myself.

So hopefully I can learn some good stuff here. I was reading about foraging for food though and I don't think I could eat worms...I think I'd starve to death first but of course I say that sitting here with a full stomach..

well, I look forward to joining in on the discussions..

wareagle69
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
welcome to the site newbie.

do you live in the city? is there a place that you could go to practice some skills? even if it is your backyard or garage or to a campground find a good book, this site is based on the us army survival manual but usually you can Google any topic and print it off, sort of create your own manual. start with one skill at a time which ever one interests you the most and practice it over and over till its like brushing your teeth (or tooth in fvrs case hows them wooden choppers bud) you can do that in the dark and during a storm, then when you feel comfortable go out and get yourself some dirt time.

best of luck to ya there is some knowledgeable ppl here shift thru the bs and have fun..

Tonyc
09-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I live in the suburbs, but I go hiking up in north GA and NC at least once a month and probably more now that the autumn is here. So I'm in the woods a good bit. I had thought about buying a book, but great idea to just print out stuff. If there was ever a natural or man-made disaster and I lost power, I need some good printed resources to refer to, considering I couldn't just jump on the Internet and google the answer.

Well, I think fire-starting will be my first task and then maybe learning to build a shelter. I can't think of any others, which probably shows what a newbie I am, but I'll try to keep at it.

wareagle69
09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
which is the point of preparing now. just google the topics you are into and then refer to them when ever needed. speaking of fvr he is from the dahlonaga mountans asr you close to him? he would be the man to learn from there.

Tonyc
09-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes I drive through Dahlonega pretty often when going up to north central GA to hike or go camping.

Well I realize that I would be wise to learn a few of these skills and also prepare a better home emergency/survival kit. Right now we have a little canned food, but not even that much water stored and no water filter/purification device, etc. So I will try to figure out what I need and stock up on some supplies. I suppose my main focus right now is wilderness survival in case I have a problem while hiking, but that spills over into some emergency preparedness and to make a kit for the home and car so I'll just start somewhere and try to learn more.

wareagle69
09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
good start. first get to know fvr.

depending on your financial position take 20 dollars a week extra at the store and but canned and dry food mark it and rotate it. i put a simple 97 on my food nineth month seventh yr but do what works for you. i also always carry a kit in my vehicle that can get me by for a week, plus what i could forage up on my own. but icannot say this enough find fvr and talk to him. watch jerimiah johnson and then quote some to him he loves it.

fine figure of a man yes
great hunter yes.

that is all you need to know...

Sarge47
09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the forum. We've been doing what Wareagle is doing by writing the date on top of the cans. My wife also uses zip-lock bags for dry pasta.;)

FVR
09-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Make sure you start wearing safety orange in the woods, deer rifle will be starting around early Oct., week earlier for frontloaders.

WMA's are good between deer seasons as they turn over to small game.

Tonyc
09-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Yes I just bought an orange cap and gloves the a few days ago. I'm not sure when the hunting season is in North GA and NC, but I will try to figure it out online. It's no fun to be hiking and hear rifle shots around you and worry that you probably look a bit like a deer from really far away.

Tony uk
09-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Welcome Here :)

Tonyc
09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes I just bought an orange cap and gloves the a few days ago. I'm not sure when the hunting season is in North GA and NC, but I will try to figure it out online. It's no fun to be hiking and hear rifle shots around you and worry that you probably look a bit like a deer from really far away.

Well thanks for all the warm welcomes. To follow up on my last post, I found out that deer season in North GA is mid October to early January. So that is good to know and I'll be sure to wear my orange gear at those times.

I did this one hike once and the rifle shots got louder and louder over the course of an hour. I should have blown my whistle to let them know i was there, but it felt unnatural to let the guy with the gun know you are there when he doesn't already.

I think they finally heard me and stopped shooting for awhile, but it was no fun. In the future, I probably would blow my whistle. I've thought about taking my handgun with me while hiking but it is so damn heavy (2 1/2 lbs with full clip) that I have never done it.

But maybe I should take it with a half full clip or at least take it with me if i go camping. I'm worried about bears more than people, although black bear attacks are very rare. I'd just feel better if I had it on me. Well, I should probably start a thread about this in another forum.

FVR
09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
So, what kind of pistolla weighs in at 2.5lbs with a full clip?

That's heavier than my 54 cal plains pistol that I traded off.

Tonyc
09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
So, what kind of pistolla weighs in at 2.5lbs with a full clip?

That's heavier than my 54 cal plains pistol that I traded off.

Ruger P94 9mm with 15 round clip and one in the chamber. Actually it is 38 oz or 2.37lbs, but too heavy to put in an already 30lb packpack. I take it with me whenever I go car camping though and keep it under my pillow....definitely helps me sleep better.

FVR
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
What I would do is to go get a conceal carry permit. I do believe that Ga and NC are recipricating states.

Also in Ga., they are trying to push through a law that allows you to keep a gun in your car no matter where you are. The car is like your house on wheels. This will even be applied when using company vehicles, how they are going to enforce that is beyond me.

Tonyc
09-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a concealed carry permit, but I think it's still illegal to have a handgun in the National Forest (out of your car) even if it is hunting season....and even if you had a hunting permit...it's a bunch of dumb laws.

It's already legal in GA to have a handgun in your car as long as it is in a glove box or console out of sight. But if you have a concealed carry permit, you can keep it wherever you want in your vehicle. And NC is indeed recipricating with GA, so I can legally have it in my car there too. But still probably not legal for camping, especially not in the Smoky Mountains National Park.

But I figure the only way you would get caught with it is probably if you had to use it and then it would be better than not having it. As the saying goes, "better to wrong than dead right". I would get a much lighter pistol for hiking/camping, but just can't afford it now. I probably will start to bring it with me sometimes if I am doing solo dayhiking and don't have the extra weight of my tent, sleeping bag, etc to worry about.