PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Standard .22lr pistol?

sgtdraino
05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Saw one of these in a local gun store. Looks like a predecessor to the Mark IIs and Mark IIIs? It had really horrible finish, but it was only $125. Are these any good?

SARKY
05-21-2009, 06:30 PM
The mark I has fixed sights only adjustable for windage by drifting the rear sight. If it looks that bad it probably means it's been abused or used really hard. I would tend to stay clear of it.

Ole WV Coot
05-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Check, strip it and inspect. If the guy will let you, make sure you know how because it is a tad tricky sometimes and if it's OK anything that goes bang today brings that much. I have a mark I also and Ruger really never made a bad semi auto, just inexpensive.

sgtdraino
05-22-2009, 04:34 PM
How do these stack up to the Mark IIs and Mark IIIs?

SARKY
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
The biggest difference between the markI and MKII's is that the MKII's have adjustable sights and a bolt hold open, the big difference between the MKII's and MKIII's is that the magazine release has been moved from the heal to the back of the trigger guard much like most centerfire semiauto pistols.
The MKI's only came in the light tapered barrels. Whereas the MKII's and III's are available with bull and fluted bull barrels. MKII's and III's are also available in the "45" polymer frame. NOTE the magazines are NOT interchangable between the II's and III's and the "45" frame mages are not interchangeable with any other model (different feed angle)

sgtdraino
05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
If I were to get one of the Marks, do you think the I, II, and III are close enough together in function, usefulness, and quality that I could save money and get the least expensive one?

Or do you think it would be worth my while to save up and get one of the newer models?

Pict
05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I learned how to shoot on a Mark1. My brothers and I literally shot it until it wore out. Once the extractor blew off with an out of chamber round we had to send it back to get fixed. I don't recall all that they did to it but it came back like it was brand new. It functioned flawlessly after that. Even an old one can be fixed they are very durable pistols. Mac

SARKY
05-26-2009, 01:09 AM
If you can get it checked out by a gunsmith and he OK's it go for the cheapie

sgtdraino
05-26-2009, 02:28 AM
How do you guys think the Ruger Mark pistols stack up to the Ruger Single-Six (which I already have)?

Advantages? Disadvantages?

Pict
05-26-2009, 09:01 AM
While I no longer have the Mark 1, I still have the Single-Six that I bought when I was 16.

Accuracy for the two guns is the same.

Regarding power it is a case of "Tastes great / Less filling". With the Single-Six you have the advantage of converting it to .22 magnum. With the Mark 1 you have the advantage of being able to dump a magazine full of lr at close range.

The .22 magnum is a potent round able to take coyote sized animals. It has been used to take deer but is marginal at best for this. If forced to defend myself I'd rather have the Mark 1 but if I was going to hunt I'd rather have the Single Six. I used to be able to fan the Single-six and get off all six at a fast semi-auto rate. The Mark 1 can be bump fired at about 1200 rpm (brrrip). Mac

sgtdraino
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
With the Single-Six you have the advantage of converting it to .22 magnum.

Ruger tells me that older versions of the Single-Six cannot fire .22 magnum (and thus did not come with that cylinder). I inherited my Single-Six from my grandfather, unfortunately it is one of these.

Hmmm, this sounds like it could make a good poll!

Rick
05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I bought my Single Six around 1976 or '77. It has both cylinders. I still have the receipt and the paperwork filed away. Paid about $125 if I remember right. I just saw one at the gun store last Thursday for $325, used.