PDA

View Full Version : warning about mushrooms

chiangmaimav
05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I just thought I would pass this information along as a warning. Six hilltribe people went to hospital here after eating mushrooms. One of them, a young girl, has died and others are in serious condition. These are people who spend their lives in mountain wilderness and still they made mistake. I do not know what kind of mushrooms they were. I only relate this information to remind people on forum to be extra careful when eating mushrooms or other wild plants unless they are absolutely certain it is safe.

Ken
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Crash and I have asked Sarge to do all Quality Control tests on questionable wild mushrooms. If in doubt, send them to Sarge. :innocent:

Sarge47
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Crash and I have asked Sarge to do all Quality Control tests on questionable wild mushrooms. If in doubt, send them to Sarge. :innocent:I'm sorry, but we are currently all filled up on every variety but the Morel. If you need to know about those PM me for the address!:innocent:

Ken
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Like these?

Sarge47
05-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Like these?Yum yum yum! :drool::tongue_smilie::online2long::sneaky2:

Rick
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks, Chiangmaimav. A timely reminder in North America, too. Mushrooms are starting to pop up all over.

bulrush
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Kind of like when my son said he found a morel. He gets good grades in school, that doesn't mean he knows the difference between a morel and false morel. When he cooked and ate it, it tasted terrible and he didn't swallow it. Luckily he didn't get sick.

Ken
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Kind of like when my son said he found a morel. He gets good grades in school, that doesn't mean he knows the difference between a morel and false morel. When he cooked and ate it, it tasted terrible and he didn't swallow it. Luckily he didn't get sick.

You NEVER know......... :innocent:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Aminitas , and some agricus mushrooms are dangerous> the milk caps, boletes,sporassus, fairy helmets,are east to identify, i use those when i can get them .

i leave a lot of mushrooms alone. i also identify them and compare them in a book before i eat them

most mushrooms should be acurately identified with a micro-scope. the spores and claspers scrutinized.

Rick
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I had a bunch I was going to send to QC but decided to test them myself. Turns out it was smoked ham. Who knew?

Ken
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Turns out it was smoked ham.

Q.C. tests and inspects all ham products. Even when they look like "mushrooms." :sneaky2:

Rick
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I've made a note.

crashdive123
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Q.C. tests and inspects all ham products. Even when they look like "mushrooms." :sneaky2:

...or if it is cut into strips and molded into the shape of an AK-47.

Ken
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
...or if it is cut into strips and molded into the shape of an AK-47.

It's all applied science. Really.

chiangmaimav
05-30-2009, 06:58 AM
This week the uncle of woman who lives near me died from eating mushrooms. This is a separate incident from the original one I wrote about on this topic. He was not hilltribe person like other people but a Thai man who lived whole life in this region and generally knew which plants are safe. I do not know what is happening but I suspect there is a new species of mushroom here which resembles edible ones but is poisonous. I do not know if this happened, and if so do not know if these mushrooms are found in US or elsewhere. Just a further warning to be careful.

Trouble
05-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Rule of thumb: Avoid any fungus with white gills. We don't want people to eat Amanita Phalloides (The Death Cap) just because Mario did.

crashdive123
05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey Trouble - thanks for looking out for folks. When you get a chance forage your way on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Trouble
05-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks, will do. Also I forgot to state that edible mushrooms don't have a type of "collar" round the stock. If it was up to me, I'd eat the universally (I'd say) recognizable fungi known as the giant puffball. More edible when young. They're whitish/grayish when young and yellow or brown when older.

wareagle69
05-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Rule of thumb: Avoid any fungus with white gills. We don't want people to eat Amanita Phalloides (The Death Cap) just because Mario did. maybe instead of that attiude you can instead try learning about mushrooms, learn about seasons and spore prints and habitatas and so on, learn the deadlies and learn the good ones then make an informed decision from there, saying avoid the ones with white gills implies too many wrong things

Thanks, will do. Also I forgot to state that edible mushrooms don't have a type of "collar" round the stock. If it was up to me, I'd eat the universally (I'd say) recognizable fungi known as the giant puffball. More edible when young. They're whitish/grayish when young and yellow or brown when older. actually there are 5 mushrooms that are quite edible that have no look alikes at all, i will leave any of you to do the book work and bush time to learn those, but no need to limit yourself

welderguy
05-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I usually refer to my book for ID on anything wild I may eat just to make sure its the right plant . But after reading this thread I will start shipping them to ken for QC insted.
And a thank you to the OP for the heads up.