PDA

View Full Version : why are you here

wareagle69
09-28-2007, 11:44 AM
survey time folks

we have allot of new members so lets get to it

why are you here.me personally it is because i am into primitive skills not as a hobby but as a way of life, as some of you know my wife and i just purchased 76.53 acres aliitle over an hour from town fullfilling my idea of a shtf bug out/but in place i am into homesteading and taking what i need from the land to live or growing it myself i plan on building a couple of hidden safe sbunkers on the prop in case of intruders during a shtf opportunity, i believe in preparing for this scnario but if it never happens then at least i am living as frugally as i can.

so why are you here. do you enjoy primitve skills for fun? for a way of life? are you preparing for doom and gloom? is it a hobby? are you new and don't have a clue? let us know.

also to my fellow pack this will be the site of the pale horse survival school and primitve living centre, where ppl will be able to stop in and learn on a working homestead not a weekend course but an on going homstead where you can stay as long or short as you like the price will be working the land and the skills that you learn and or reinforce will be the result.

the benefit of this place is that is is not very close to the big city this town i am outside of is listed as 500 and the next town is about 5000 about 20 min drive away then sudbury is about 100km away pop175000

so i believe it is far enough away to accompish all of our goals.

always be prepared..

Recurve Bowyer
09-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Survival skills is only a hobby of mine right now. I take pride in being self-sufficient and individual. Being able to fend for myself in the bush is the epitome self-sufficiency.
I also have a tendancy to embrace the counterculture...thats just who I am. With convenience, comfort, and excess around every corner in our modern society, survival skills have been forgotten by most. I think its important to keep learning and passing down this knowledge.

Tonyc
09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
I just took a free REI class a couple of of days ago on wilderness survival and it got me thinking that I am ignorant about most of this stuff and need to learn more in case I get lost or injured in the woods, or if i break down in the car somewhere, or if there is a disaster when I'm at home.

trax
09-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Sarge told me there'd be free ice cream, that's why I'm here.

Serioiusly, because you can never learn too much. I've been an outdoorsman all my life and it's great to pick up other people's points of view, tips etc and hopefully contribute something as well. Some of our discussions, when we look back, get pretty far off topic from the notion of wilderness survival and we should always remember that there's an entire site here that Chris was good enough to put together with a lot of good knowledge that goes far beyond our forums.

owl_girl
09-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I want to be confident and independent when I’m in the woods or in nature and the more knowledge I get the more confident and relaxed I am when I’m hiking or camping or out in the middle of nowhere. Learning this stuff is to control fear so I can enjoy the stuff I love and venture out farther and not have to worry about it so much. If something happens or I get lost I don’t want to have to depend on someone ells or technology for my survival.

Also I find the history and culture of wilderness survival and living fascinating and I want to help keep that knowledge alive and learn a much as I can and share what I learn.

Sarge47
09-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I need to get a life!:D

FVR
09-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Why am I here? To give Rangers a hard time.

Naw, don't really know why. Nice place to meet like minded folks, trade ideas, and maybe learn a thing or two, or three.

pilgrim
10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Im here because i was raised to love nature and spent alot of my young life out in it. I like the idea of living as the ancients did instead of being removed from the natural world like society is today. And if the S*#t hits the fan... ill be ready...

trax
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Read Pilgrim's tag line? I think you have a brother in arms there..:)

FVR
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
and there ain't no laws
for the brave ones!

And there ain't no asylums
for the crazy ones!

corndog-44
10-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm here to learn more about wood crafting. For me it is not about "surviving," rather it's about "thriving" in a wilderness situation. I understand surviving as making it through an unexpected life threatening situation.

FVR
10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Whatever you learned down in the flat
will serve you no good up here.

You got some work to do.

PNW
10-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I joined because we have been a part of our land and nature through hunting & fishing. We are very comfortable with our area. I'm looking for information on other regions because you never know where you might wind up; so far out of your comfort zone. Lots of places to explore.

eddiec
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I have to agree with Sarge, I too have no life. No, but really, I have always been into hiking, camping, and many other outdoor activities. This forum gives me an opprotunity to chat with those who are experienced in the art of survival, and find out stuff that I've never learned before. It also gives me a chance to share my own experiences with others, in the hopes that someone will get some good info out of what I type in this little box. Plus, I LOVE ALL YOUS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Baxter
10-06-2007, 06:02 PM
just like the way my friends and i train in parkour, we want to get back to what our bodies were made for, finding out our physical limits and capabilities. parkour is the art of movement, the most primal idea behind it, being that if you are in a situation where you have to escape, to survive, can you? the same idea serves with me and wilderness survival, i want to see if i have the capability to live as primitive as i can, out side of the luxuries of modern life........aside from that, to also be prepared for anything (*nudge*wareagle*nudge*) ...and it's fun.

mbarnatl
10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I joined because I want to learn, teach and share skills. Also, there isn't to many forums on this subject(wilderness survival).

FVR
10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
We are a minority, who hear the yell of the Warrior Spirit. We are the few that don't bend to the pussification of the role of MAN.

We are Warriors, we are survivors and will do as needed.

We like eating foods over an open flame, even if it's not quite done. The feel of rocks, dirt, twigs, and such on our backs while sleeping, although uncomfortable, enables us to realize that this is what life is about.

When the mist comes in, we dream and sometimes follow our need to venture into the woods to be..............Alive.

We may live in the country, suburbs, or even the down town city, but our souls are wondering through the back country in search of exitement and challenge.

We are what we are, a dying breed.

carcajou garou
10-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Theres free ICECREAM:D

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Iam here because Iam interested in camping , hunting fishing ,survival etc. have been since I was a very young age ,and I believe to live is to learn as we never stop learning until they nail the box shut and we return to mother earth

LadyTrapper
10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Im here in part to converse with likeminded people, as in this world today most people are wrapped up in things and cannot hear the call of the wild. Life in its natural state is becoming more and more a part of my everyday living. We raise our own meat and hunt for wild meat. Whatever we take, we use....all that we can. Meat, hide, skull, tooth and claw. It is out of respect for the harvested animals as well as being what is best to feed my family.

trax
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
as in this world today most people are wrapped up in things and cannot hear the call of the wild.

Too right!

trax
10-09-2007, 02:41 PM
We are a minority, who hear the yell of the Warrior Spirit. We are the few that don't bend to the pussification of the role of MAN.

We are Warriors, we are survivors and will do as needed.

We like eating foods over an open flame, even if it's not quite done. The feel of rocks, dirt, twigs, and such on our backs while sleeping, although uncomfortable, enables us to realize that this is what life is about.

When the mist comes in, we dream and sometimes follow our need to venture into the woods to be..............Alive.

We may live in the country, suburbs, or even the down town city, but our souls are wondering through the back country in search of exitement and challenge.

We are what we are, a dying breed.

...wish I'd said that.

Recurve Bowyer
10-09-2007, 02:50 PM
...wish I'd said that.

Thats what I thought when I first read it.

Well said, FVR!

hello15944
10-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I have always been interested in camping, hunting and fishing would like to learn more about how to do it with less if i had to also like to learn new things and find that primitive stuff interesting to me

sam30248
10-13-2007, 01:30 AM
im here so that i might ,learn some new ways to do things . and to hear from a group with the same intrest.

lumpy
10-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Because here I'm not ridiculed for believing that teotwawki is not far away.

ATough
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
To learn skills and share what I know about survival. plus you guys are all my freinds.

especially sarge.

zaebra
10-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm here to learn where I can, and teach those (few!) that know less than myself.

"Be Prepared", right? I look forward to getting to know you guys, since there are very few people in my area that I know of who share similar survival interests.

RobertRogers
10-19-2007, 05:27 AM
I am here because my parents decided to have some fun several decades ago.

Actually, I pick up alot of great info here and enjoy conversing with like minded people.

GrayWolf
10-19-2007, 07:56 AM
There's only so much you can get from books. I think this is a place to learn some things that have been experienced: tried and true methods for survival situations. Plus its a good mental release from the daily grind when you cant just run out to the woods and practice.

NorthWindTrails
10-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey ... Thanks for asking! I joined for the shared knowledge of Woodscraft. I agree with several of the comments already made. These skills are not being passed on to future generations as well as they could be, and I (we) have a unique opportunity to capture, live and pass along as much as we can. I have always been fascinated with the outdoors experience, and was intrigued by "My Side of the Mountain" as a young boy. I don't plan to merely "survive", though ... as one has already said; "I plan to thrive!" Being in the wilderness isn't just about staying alive. Hearing a pack of coyotes in the woods or the yapping of a group of red foxes in the dark ... how many city folks would just freak? They don't know what they're missing. Nature as close as your skin is awesome. Thanks for the Forum! NorthWind

Tony uk
10-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Im here to learn from realy people, Granted the books and vids are really good and made by experts but i find this better :D

Merlin
10-19-2007, 10:54 PM
This is the only forum of people that are closer to like minded people like myself that I have found , and one of 2 on line forums I belong too.. The other wilderness forums I have found are filled with the doom and gloom of the end is near ..Or the para military types who have never served their time but talk like they won the last one and do not need any help on the next one.. My skills are adequate but as I know there is always more to learn,, where I lack skills and as for the rest there is always a different way maybe better maybe not.. A book is only as good as your interpretation of it ... and only meant to be for that time period and Geographical location not to say that the teachings can not be applied in other areas . Like for example A soldiers hand book verses a survival in the alps guide both can be right but not all the info pertains to your needs, and last but not any less important I do not want to find myself needing me to come find them like the ones I help

HOP
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
I am here to discuss in a friendly and interesting manner survival in the wilderness in an open group.
I am not here to listen to a bunch of Psyhcobable ego thumping 9 yard long post that say nothing about survival and very little if anything about life I have heard some exelent infomation here but also people complaining about new people starting trouble(this seems a little closed minded) We have have a modirator let him do his job even demand that he do his job. Cyber space seems to make a few very brave and insulting beyond what they would do in person, I beleive that you should say what you mean if you say you are going away and leaving then do that and not return to amaze people with your lack of respect for the rest of the world.

HOP
10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Volwest actualy I was not talking at all , I was refering to a real situation and not to a cyber fantasy person can be e'tranges in many places . When you see my lips move it means I am talking. when you see the text on my post it means I am typing. Talking or typing I am surviving quite well concidering the milage and adventures . I have spent a lot of time overseas and have noticed that children are quite good at picking up laungues, perhaps that is why you have such a give and insist on shareing it with everyone(childiss delight ?) I regret not reading of Robinson Crusoes adventure in New York I wonder if it was up state where it might apply to this forum I have had my own adventure in NYC and as you can read am no the worse for it.

Sarge47
10-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, speaking for myself, I really enjoyed the Mark Twain stuff as I grew up in Burlington, Iowa, right on the Mississippi River. For awhile I really wanted to build a great big raft and do what Tom & Huck did, without the racial slurs. I got interested in Survival when I read "The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon", by Stephen King. It was in English and didn't have any pictures. (Darn!) BTW, anybody else ever read that book? It;s one of the few that I've read twice, but then Steve rocks!

FVR
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
That's funny, I'm here to read a variety of posts ranging from psychological writing to those that want to post about banging two rocks together in hopes of getting a spark, to maybe learning that cotton balls and vaseline works great for char cloth.

I'm here to teach others the primitive side of this way of thinking and that many of the store bought high tech things are really not needed.

As far as some of the crap that gets posted, I just get a good laugh.

HOP
10-23-2007, 08:19 PM
VW it was a novel fantasy maybe based on a myth as I recall he was wrought with bad luck and depended heavely on his friends and was only sucessful at disaster and even he relied on his man friday much of the time I wonder if this was the first survival group .

FVR
10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex by Owen Chase

Sarge47
10-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I believe this to be a work of fiction but Nordoff & Hall's "Bounty" trilogy also captured my imagination as a young 'un.

HOP
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Most of Jack London are just stories but what stories a good fiction writer still does a pile of research and has a lot of facts in their text the movies usually elevate these fact to fantasy or myth perportions.

Crash
10-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Why am I here.....hmmmm....

I'd have to say that I've always been interested in survival skills from my day as a boy scout. Now that my son is a Tiger Cub, it's sort of rekindled my interest. It's weird how you go so long being interested in something but never really realize it until some time later.

Anyway, I'm here to learn from you all. I'm probably the least-knowledgeable person I know in regards to survival, but when I dive into something, I dive in really fast. This is important to me because of my son. I see opportunities arising from being in the bush together, relying on one another and bonding.

I'll probably spend most of my time here reading and asking questions, if that's okay with everyone else.

wareagle69
10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
i agree with fvr again i am here to read and learn every ones thought and opinions. i never gave much thought to the psychological side of survival until reading gino ferri's version of wilderness survival changed my outlook

FVR
10-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I've always been interested in the psychological part of survival as it's the mind that will most defeat you.

You are your worst enemy.

But many just poo poo this, until they are in situations that demand it's acknowledgement. At that point, usually it's too late.

corndog-44
10-24-2007, 10:02 PM
"you are your worst enemy" is a saying that is not complete and precise enough.
It is actually a false accusation...

that's a thread on its own...lol

volwest, start the thread cause I agree with FVR; "You are your worst enemy".

By far, the most common wilderness deaths are caused by one and only one living thing: ourself.

FVR
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
You are your worst enemy

Can be as complicated as you want or basic plain and simple.

If you do not have the will to live, you will die. Now, one's will to live may be governed by a host of internal or external forces.

Example: Making your first sales call, then making a hundred more. If you make the calls, you will get a percentage of appointments, out of those appointements, you will get a percentage of sales. BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CALLS.

This can also be used in applying for a job. There is always an excuse to not put together the resume and make the calls. Many years ago, while in S.Cal., my excuses were, the beach, the girls, and the party. Eventually, I realized that to continue my good times, I need money. To get money, I need a job. To get a job, I need to get interviews. To get interviews, I needed to update my resume and make the calls.

After I did this, I realized that the money spent on the girls, beach, and partying was really not worth it. Well, at least the girls and the parying. The beach is another story. HAAAAAAA.... you thought I would say the girls.LOL.

FVR
10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Let's say you're in the North, 7' of snow, you've been out there two days and you are cold. Your body is drained of energy, you are not prepared, you are not making water to drink because it's too easy to just grab a handful of snow, and eat. Les, does it, why can't I?

Your body wants to go to sleep, you are past the shivering and teeth banging part, sleep would feel so good. You know that if you go to sleep, you may not wake up, but sleep would feel so good.

The easy way out, go to sleep. The hard way, to get your arse up, walk around, get the cold feeling again, start shivering again, start the teeth chatter, try to make a fire or at least find or rip a piece of cloth from your undergarments, pack with snow and melt close to your body, so you can suck the water from the cloth. Yeh, easier to go to sleep. Just 10 minutes and then I'll get up and walk around.

corndog-44
10-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey FVR...put the brakes on until you start a new thread.

woodwose
10-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I want to be confident and independent when I’m in the woods or in nature and the more knowledge I get the more confident and relaxed I am when I’m hiking or camping or out in the middle of nowhere. Learning this stuff is to control fear so I can enjoy the stuff I love and venture out farther and not have to worry about it so much. If something happens or I get lost I don’t want to have to depend on someone ells or technology for my survival.

Also I find the history and culture of wilderness survival and living fascinating and I want to help keep that knowledge alive and learn a much as I can and share what I learn.
So much of todays society has forgotten (or never learned) the art of survival. Society (and not just in the U.S.) are so comfy in a luxurious pampered way of life that most of (them?) wouldn't think to go back to the rudiments of living. But yet, we all may have to someday as events unfold in the world. Primitive culture, self suffiency, disaster preparedness and outdoor survival techniques all play a key role in living in these times.

Beo
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm here to learn more woodcraft, can always learn more, and to meet like minded folk. Some of you anyway :) No Frog Lickers though.