PDA

View Full Version : Ruger GP-100

sgtdraino
05-14-2009, 03:58 AM
I ended up with one of these more-or-less by accident, after I ordered a Charter Arms .357 Mag Pug which turned out to be broken right out of the box. The dealer felt so bad, he gave me a good deal on the slightly used GP100 he had. The gun had some trigger work done on it, perfecting the only complaint I have really heard about these guns.

I feel I really lucked into just about the best .357 option out there. From what I have read, the GP100 is exceptionally strong, very reliable, and has the added bonus of easy disassembly in the field with just a few tools (though I have not tried this yet).

Just curious to see who else out there owns this gun, and what your thoughts are about it.

crashdive123
05-14-2009, 06:08 AM
I've owned a GP100 since they first came out in the mid 80's. I've never had a problem with mine, and like it very much.

SARKY
05-15-2009, 01:21 AM
My SP-101 is more or less a smaller version of the GP-100. Built like a tank. But for carrying in the field where every ounce feels like a pound after a while, I prefer my Taurus Titanium Tracker. It weighs next to nothing, even with 7 rounds in the cylinder.

Rick
05-15-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm in the market for a .357 and looked at the GP100 with 4" barrel. At 40 ounces, I thought it a bit heavy for my needs. Even the 3" model weighs in at 36 ounces. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to track down an SP101 or the Taurus NIB that Sarky listed.

Clem
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
My 4" SS GP100 is my bedside house gun. Built like a tank, accurate, sweet double action trigger, HiViz front sight, and relatively inexpensive. (If I ever have to use it, I will probably loose it.)

Ken
05-15-2009, 11:15 AM
My 4" SS GP100 is my bedside house gun. Built like a tank, accurate, sweet double action trigger, HiViz front sight, and relatively inexpensive. (If I ever have to use it, I will probably loose it.)

Hey, Clem!

I see from your profile that you are a Marine Fighter Pilot. (Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine.) How about you fly over to our Introductions Forum and tell us a bit about yourself? Thanks! http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

glockcop
06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
the GP100 is a great gun -- strong and accurate. Been having one for many moons and shoot the crap outa it. I have a few Smith 357's and I can tell you they are GREAT too. It weighs a bit but you will appreciate that mass with full power mag loads, esp. the 125 gr. monsters. Use hearing protection If you Like to hear. 357 mags are LOUD! The ruger is about 30000 percent better than the charter. You got blessed in that deal.

Mountain Man
06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
A GP100 is on my list "To Buy". I got the smaller version the SP101 in 2 1/4" flavor and love it, and I've shot a few GP100 and they are NICE. Not light weight but strong, accurate and reliable :)

Good guns.

aflineman
06-30-2009, 07:13 PM
I had a GP100, but a good friend wanted it and my 1100 12ga really bad. I have a Security Six and a 870 12ga, so I let him talk me out of them. I don 't regret it, as they are being well taken care of and enjoyed. I do miss them though.

OICU812
07-02-2009, 12:42 AM
The GP & SP models are what has kept Rugers head above water up till now hand-gun wise, if not for the 10/22 with the above mentioned they may have sunk already and might still if they keep coming up with this stuff like the SR-9 and the Kel-Tec copies?
But I'am curious about this LCR .38spl.

endurance
07-02-2009, 02:45 AM
I had a 4" blue GP-100 when I went through the academy, but sold it after getting on with a department that carried 9mms. As soon as I sold it I missed it and still do to this day. By far the most accurate handgun I've ever owned when used with .38 full wadcutters. I've been thinking about getting another one, but I just got my CCW (been "off the job" for 15 years now) and needed to get something compact... which doesn't exactly describe the GP-100. ;) It's still on my watch list, but other preps and toys come first at the moment.

Mertell
07-03-2009, 07:35 AM
The GP-100 is the best revolver out there. I keep mine at home. Its too big to carry backpacking, etc. The large frame handles the .357 125 grain rockets nicley.

For backpacking I use the Sp-101 in .357. I usually use .38+P ammo.
The smaller frame does not handle as well with full power .357

About a month ago I stumbled into the new Ruger LCR (Lightweight Compact Revolver). In .38+P. It has now become my favorite backpacking gun. I carry it in any pocket, even my shirt. I shoot regular .38 125gr in it, even tho it is rated for .38+P. I pack a couple of shot shells for small game, and I feel well armed. I had some custom loaded .38 shells loaded with #4 lead shot. Seems to do the trick.

There is not much to dislike about those 3 revolvers.

-Mert

OICU812
07-04-2009, 04:02 PM
The GP-100 is the best revolver out there. I keep mine at home. Its too big to carry backpacking, etc. The large frame handles the .357 125 grain rockets nicley.

For backpacking I use the Sp-101 in .357. I usually use .38+P ammo.
The smaller frame does not handle as well with full power .357

About a month ago I stumbled into the new Ruger LCR (Lightweight Compact Revolver). In .38+P. It has now become my favorite backpacking gun. I carry it in any pocket, even my shirt. I shoot regular .38 125gr in it, even tho it is rated for .38+P. I pack a couple of shot shells for small game, and I feel well armed. I had some custom loaded .38 shells loaded with #4 lead shot. Seems to do the trick.

There is not much to dislike about those 3 revolvers.

-Mert
Hey Mert, How many rounds have you put through the LCR? I've been pondering on a purchase myself and since you've already got one, then some field testing advise would be great. By this I mean comparsion to S&W in airweight, pointability, follow ups, or how much snap in the one hand with +P?

Mertell
07-05-2009, 03:58 AM
The Ruger LCR is new on the market, and newer still to me. I bought it in April.
I have only fired a half box (25 rounds) through it so far.

I do not consider this to be a "heavy duty" gun, rather one that I will carry much more than actually use.

I have not used .38 +P ammo yet. But I don't see a problem. The gun fits the hand nicely. Recoil should be manageable.

I will say this about anyone thinking of buying a SP-101 in the hammerless version. (Double action only): Really think twice about that. They seem to show up as trade-in alot. 2 reasons here:
#1: They become strictly short range defensive weapons.
#2: They tend to defy holsters. With no hammer to run a strap over, they do not holster as you might think. So far I have been unable to find the holster I am happy with. It rides best in my thigh "dungaree" tool pocket.
The lighter LCR can do this, while the SP-101 is too heavy.
Velcro closures seem to be the most promising, as they allow some adjustment, as opposed to snaps which do not.

If you can live with these limitations, then a hammerless (DA only) revolver might be for you. (As one tool in the toolbox.) ;)

One other comment I'd make about the SP-101 is that Ruger no longer chambers it for .32 H&R Mag. The .327 Federal has replaced it. And its ballistics approach that of the venerable .357 mag. Here is the kicker: In a SP-101, you get 6 shots in .32, but only 5 shots in .357.
Tough choice.

-Mert

SARKY
07-05-2009, 04:05 AM
I would love to see an SP 101 with a titanium frame etc. and a 4inch barrel in 327 federal. Now that would be a field/camp gun.

Rick
07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
The only problem with the SP101 is speed loaders don't fit it. Only having 5 rounds feels sort of naked but speed loaders hang on the grip when you try to use them.

Mertell
07-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I have 5 shot speed loaders for the SP-101 and the LCR. They work fine.
The grips allow relief for that.

Granted, the tolerance are probably closer than with a full sized revolver, but they do work.

I just loaded both of them up just to see for sure.

-Mert

Rick
07-05-2009, 10:44 AM
What brand are you using? I've tried both HKS 36 and Comp II in mine and both hang up on the rubber grips. You can make it work but it's hardly speed loading. I can hand load as quickly.

Mertell
07-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I use the HKS brand. You might be right about it being just a little slower than a large-frame revolver, but it works. Does yours have relief on the grip?
-Mert

Rick
07-05-2009, 01:24 PM
It looks like this:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/9f/RugerSP101.jpg/400px-RugerSP101.jpg

The top ridge of the thumb inset blocks the speed loader by about an 1/8th of an inch or so. Just enough to keep the rounds from sliding in.

Mertell
07-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Well, that certainly is my gun. Grip has relief for the speed loader.

I usually shoot .38+P in mine. Could the shorter case be the difference?

-Mert

Rick
07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
It may well be. I have not been able to find any 38 ammo. I do have an old box my uncle had when he was on the force in the 60s. I'll try some on for size.

Mertell
07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Rick,

No, case length is not it. Overall cartridge length is equal, or so close it does not matter. I Speed-loaded a 5-pak of .357. No change.
The round nosed .38 ammo seems to slide in the best.

Just a close fit, I guess. Part of the trade-off to a smaller gun. Just gotta pick the right tool for the job at hand. When I am hiking, I grab a 5 shooter every time. Now that I have the LCR, I no longer drool when I see a Smith&Wesson Airweight.

(Thanks for sharing)

By the way, don't look for .38+P ammo. It will cost you about $50 per box.
At least it does here.

-Mert

Rick
07-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I went with the SP101 for canoeing. I figured it would hold up a bit better if it got wet.

sgtdraino
07-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Rick, 1/8 of an inch ain't much, have you considered modifying your grip a little?

Rick
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I'll whisper when I say this but I did take a Dremmel tool to one set. It helped but it's still pretty temperamental. Sure not like a big gun. It just doesn't drop in first time every time.

Rick
07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
You nailed it. That's the problem. I contacted Ruger and they replied they don't sell speed loaders. Well no sh........