PDA

View Full Version : Canned Coffee

Ken
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Remember when a can of coffee actually was a full pound and came in a metal can and not a plastic container?

Today, both my absolute favorite (Folgers) and my far distant second choice (Maxwell House) both come in plastic containers. I suspect that these containers can't cut it anywhere close to the old metal cans for long-term storage. I like to keep at least 50 lbs. on hand, and preferred to rotate my supply with normal use. I just don't trust the plastic containers........

An on-line search, if the results are accurate, shows that Yuban, Chock-Full-o'-Nuts, and Hills Bros. still come in metal cans. I bought a can of "espresso" (which was more like a dark roast) at a local dollar store for $1.00 (surprise, huh?) and it was excellent when I opened it two weeks later. When I went back hoping to buy several cases, it had all been sold. :sneaky2:

Does anyone know of other brands still available in metal cans?

vthompson
05-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I do our shopping at one of two different store's, and I haven't seen coffee in a metal container at either store in a long time.

Sourdough
05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Hills Bros. in a # 10 can (Three Pounds) is what "REAL MEN" buy, and they buy it at Sam's Club........:innocent::innocent::innocent:

crashdive123
05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Folgers Custom Roast (dark) or Folgers Black Silk for me. I see the brands that you listed in grocery stores around here - but not in the larger (3 lb) cans.

gryffynklm
05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Stewart's Coffee still comes in a can, below is a link and it looks like the offer cans as well as other packaging from their website.

http://www.stewarts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST

Ken
05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Hills Bros. in a # 10 can (Three Pounds) is what "REAL MEN" buy, and they buy it at Sam's Club........:innocent::innocent::innocent:

So, uhhh, Hopeak? What brand of coffee do YOU buy? Where do you buy it? :innocent:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
i dont trust the plastic containers. plastic is made from toxic compounds. plastic in your kitchen can excelerate a fire (if one should start).I do like the tight seal of the lid. they dont come off easy like metal cans.they are impact proof. the freshness seal is melted onto the can so it has a perfect bond.(it cant realy spoil).

Ken
05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
i dont trust the plastic containers. plastic is made from toxic compounds. plastic in your kitchen can excelerate a fire (if one should start).

Me either, Eugene. Some things just don't need to be "improved."

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Me either, Eugene. Some things just don't need to be "improved."thats right i would rather have my metal coffee cans. i make so many things with them too.

LindyLu
05-13-2009, 07:33 AM
I have found a great place to buy/order coffee. The bags are packed in heavy duty Mylar and I have some that date back 2 years and they are as good as new. Just opened one last week. The place is www.coffeebeandirect.com and their prices are great, many different kinds plus they have the green beans. Shipping is free if you order 25 pounds. I bought some of the green but haven't roasted any yet. Kinda storing those for The Big Event, whatever that may be. They also have chicory and a big selection of tea. All are availabe ground or whole bean. I prefer whole bean & grind it as I use it. I store the bags in in my root cellar and when I open one, I store the beans in canning jars in the fridge. The least expensive is called "Poor Man's Brew" priced at $3.97 a pound and is quite good. Hope this helps.
Blessings, LindyLu NE TN

Ken
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks, LindyLu!

Rick
05-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Kroger brand is still in metal cans.

hoosierarcher
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Chock-Full-O'Nuts is that heavenly coffee.....better coffee a millionaires money can't buy.

Badawg
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I generally buy beans and grind my own as I am a coffee snob... But I can say that Target sells Metaglia Doro Espresso roast for 3.99 a can for 11 OZ. Also Don Francisco Guatemalan roast and Colombia are both good and in a metal can.

hoosierarcher
05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
By the way there isn't a way you can make Chock Full O'Nuts that doesn't make a decent cup. It makes really good cowboy/campfire coffee. The cans seem to be pretty strong too.

sofasurfer
11-15-2013, 07:08 PM
www.meijer.com has coffee in cans.

hunter63
11-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Hummm, wonder how many of the brands mentions in 2009 are still in metal cans.
I haven't seen many in while, and the ones I did see have a funky rim around the top....Think it was Hills brothers.

Rick
11-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Kroger isn't. They are cardboard or something. They have a metal bottom. Does that count?

shiftyer1
11-16-2013, 02:30 AM
A coffee can has ALWAYS been my preferred .22 target. Works good for car exhaust also:)

Although the plastic cans are useful also kinda.

LowKey
11-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Old thread.
But there are a few coffees that still come in cans.
Melitta and Don Francisca are two I can still get.

I see MRE Depot had a sale last week on green coffee beans in cans.
Has anyone here experimented with roasting coffee beans in either a stove top corn popper, frying pan or fireplace shaker?
The few people I know that buy green coffee use electric roasters. Takes all the fun out of it.
The one time I did some in a frying pan I found out when the online instructions say they smoke, they really mean smoke. As in do them outside. LOL.
I'm trying to get one of my co-workers to make a stainless spinner for me like the one on this webpage (hope it's ok to post the URL):
http://www.sweetmarias.com/charcoalroaster.html
The rest of it is pretty easy.

Rick
11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
No problem on the URL as long as you don't have an interest in the site (other than you like the spinner of course).

Wildthang
11-16-2013, 10:28 AM
So how long will coffee stay good in a metal can? I have about 6 cans that have been stored for over a year and am just wondering!

Ken
11-16-2013, 04:49 PM
So how long will coffee stay good in a metal can? I have about 6 cans that have been stored for over a year and am just wondering!

Chuckle. I've opened cans well over 5 years old and haven't detected a difference.