PDA

View Full Version : SERBU Shorty.

aflineman
05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php
SERBU Super-Shorty as a survival tool.
I know that this is an NFA item. With the proper permission and $5 tax (it is an AOW), I am allowed to own one where I live.
That being said. Does anyone see a use/handiness for one of these in a survival situation (over and above the uses/handiness of a firearm which one would usually carry)?
I had thought it would be a good “grouse getter” during deer season, but ODFW says a shotgun must have a barrel length of 18” to hunt for birds.
I know they are kind of awkward to trombone due to only having a pistol grip, so I’m not sure if it would be good for bear protection (over a normal 12ga, or a 45/70). Plus, it is a real handful with fullhouse 3" slugs. I have no problem with recoil, but I don’t like to shoot more than 9 or 12 rounds at a setting.

Ken
05-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Does anyone see a use/handiness for one of these in a survival situation (over and above the uses/handiness of a firearm which one would usually carry)?

Absolutely! Although the "accuracy' of this shotgun is clearly substantially diminished by the extremely short barrel length, it still carries the knock-down power (particularly with slugs) and most other advantages of any shotgun. I suspect that, when used as a "close range" firearm, the Super-Shorty will still take down large game and birds with the same efficiency as its big brothers.

However, the biggest advantage of having this shotgun is clearly its concealibility - relatively easy to hide in a pack or under a jacket/coat - in circumstances where survival depends on protecting yourself from other "predators" and where "advertising" is a concern.

Wish I could buy one in Mass.........:innocent:

Rick
05-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not a fan of pistol grip only no stock shotguns. I just don't feel like I have the control over them I have with a regular stock. It's no good to me either as a rabbit gun or a bird gun and that's important in a survival situation. I don't mind the pistol grip as much as no stock. I feel like the stock on my shoulder steadies the weapon and helps absorb some of the recoil. Those are just my opinions. Someone else might like them.

Pal334
05-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I am a devote advocate of short 12 guage shotguns. Never shot anything this short though. I doubt I would recommend it as a primary weapon because of controlability, but it sure would be a nice "ace in the hole".

Ole WV Coot
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Pistol grips are just that. I have the factory stock on my Winchester Defender, 18" bbl , 12ga. You lose way too much control without a stock. Except for carrying concealed (with a limp) best stick to one with a stock of some type. My opinion and what works for me.

aflineman
05-09-2009, 11:03 PM
My first intro to them was as a breaching tool. They really shine in that role. It is not something that you can readily grab the grip and bring up to a sighting stance. It is definatly a two handed weapon. But, it is a kick in the but to shoot. And it draws a lot of curious onlookers at the range. Most don't like to shoot it much after one full house 3" load though.:whistling:
Ready to fire:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/AFLineman/DSC00705.jpg

Full recoil:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/AFLineman/DSC00707.jpg