PDA

View Full Version : Morels must be ripe before eating

bulrush
05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Did you know that morels that are tan all over are not ripe, and taste terrible when cooked and eaten? I didn't, neither did my son. But he wanted a morel, so I let him get one. He cooked it up, ate it, and it was terrible he said. So, a ripe morel must be dark brown on top to be ripe.

That's my guess. Any corrections?

Rick
05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, my experience has been that morels can be just about any shade brown even yellowish. Just depends on where you find them.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Did you know that morels that are tan all over are not ripe, and taste terrible when cooked and eaten? I didn't, neither did my son. But he wanted a morel, so I let him get one. He cooked it up, ate it, and it was terrible he said. So, a ripe morel must be dark brown on top to be ripe.

That's my guess. Any corrections?

verpa bohemica;(early morel is light colored.)and toxic to some (metalic taste).morcella hybrida; dark brown to rust, very good taste. the mushroom hunters handbook, by alexander smith

1wolf
05-09-2009, 02:52 AM
I've eaten then almost every summer of my life... I picked them for private and commecial use. Couldn't say I tasted a bad one. If it is big enough to identify and a morel... pick it it probally ripe enough

Rick
05-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Welcome 1wolf. Why not trot over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I see you live in Indiana, God's country. Not sure why you have Montana listed up there, though.:innocent:

littlecat
05-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Anyone know when Morel season pretty much ends in Indiana?

Rick
05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Depends. Depends on temperature, humidity, rain, all the weather variables. Also location. Spring is about the best I can tell you. Probably end in Evansville quicker than Elkhart.

Why not spring over to our Introduction section and tell us something about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)

Sarge47
05-09-2009, 10:46 AM

That's my guess. Any corrections?Yep, they're not ripe! You must send them to me right away for safe disposal! :innocent: (gets out his skillet, flour & butter!) Morels are "ripe" when they pop up! Leave them sit & somebody else grabs them! NOTE: Not everyone likes them!:sneaky2:

canid
05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
yeah, the only morels that don't taste right are the overmature ones, on their way to rotting.

if it was firm and sound and still didn't taste right, it probably wasn't a morel. be careful.

bulrush
05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
After doing a little research, this one was probably a "yellow morel". It was light tan all over. I didn't know there were so many types of morels.

So some people like the taste and some don't? Are they a strong-tasting mushroom like portobellas? Portebellos?

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
After doing a little research, this one was probably a "yellow morel". It was light tan all over. I didn't know there were so many types of morels.

So some people like the taste and some don't? Are they a strong-tasting mushroom like portobellas? Portebellos?

the darker the more concentrated the flavor. the light ones like the mellow yellow are the better ones to get.Be careful of the false morells, many of those mimic the good ones in color and general appearence.

crashdive123
05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Isn't this a good example of being sure what you're eating before you eat it?