PDA

View Full Version : Value of a dog when trekking

Pal334
05-07-2009, 08:18 AM
In my opinion, a dog is an invaluable trekking partner. See below.

LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. (KABC) -- "Hoagie," a rescue dog from an abused-animals shelter, defended his owners from a mountain lion attack in the Cleveland National Forest in the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County, Calif., on Tuesday.
William Morse, his wife and his dog Hoagie were hiking in a wooded area when a mountain lion approached the couple at an angle off the trail.
"Out of nowhere, a mountain lion charged us, attacked us," William Morse, told ABC7 Eyewitness News. "My dog saved our lives - me and my wife's life."
The dog had walked farther down the trail, but noticed the big cat and came back. As the mountain lion approached the couple in an aggressive manner, Hoagie the dog attacked the big cat.
Hoagie and the mountain lion fought for less than 10 seconds or so, according to Morse, before the 100-pound mountain lion ran away. The dog was severely wounded in his abdomen.
"It was probably seven-eight seconds long, and it was just a brutal attack," said Morse. "The mountain lion just came out of nowhere."
Hoagie was taken to a nearby animal hospital where he received immediate surgery. The dog has survived surgery and appears to be in stable condition.
Morse says he has been coming to the Cleveland National Forrest for approximately 20 years without incident.
"I'm pretty shaken up still," said Morse. "My dog, Hoagie, is pretty traumatized at this time. And I just don't think I'll ever go back up there and visit the area again."
The organization Actors And Others For Animals called Morse and offered to help pay the veterinary bill.
Morse is grateful for his dog.
"He's about five years old. Just man's best friend," said Morse. "You couldn't ask for a better dog at this time. He saved our life."

Sourdough
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
It assumes that the Lion would have pressed the the attack, to the Humans, and that the humans would not remove their belt and strangle the cat if it attacked. It makes for good story, but would have been unlikely. That said, still a class act on the dogs part. And somewhat lame that the humans did not attack to defend the dog.

Rick
05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
That's what I would have done. I would have removed my belt and strangled the lion. Of course, given the size of my belt I might have just used it as a leash and walked the cat back home. Or not.

Alpine_Sapper
05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
That said, still a class act on the dogs part. And somewhat lame that the humans did not attack to defend the dog.

Yeah man...some people's kids...

jrock24
05-07-2009, 03:48 PM
The DFG is saying the dog was the aggresive one and it was his fault. I don't agree, those cats are stalkers so he was probably waiting for his window to strike.

Alpine_Sapper
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
The DFG is saying the dog was the aggresive one and it was his fault. I don't agree, those cats are stalkers so he was probably waiting for his window to strike.

Man, those clowns will say anything to avoid having a PR circus on their hands. From what I've read their reactions is "We didn't find any evidence of a mountain lion so the dog must have initiated it." If he did initiate it, it was in defense of his family to a very real percieved threat. So, now, they only have to close the area for 2 days to put up signs, instead of having to go out and hunt the cat. Not that I think the cat needs to be killed, it was being a cat. But don't put it off on the dog. Just say you don't wanna do your job if you don't wanna do your job.

talon
05-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow, reminds me of my dog.. she never took on a mountain lion or anything.. but my oldest pitbull took down a burglar last summer when my house was broken into. She gave me time to get the lock off my gun (usually isn't locked I had kids in the house though). Since then the town I lived in deemed her a dangerous dog after she killed a few cats. So I took her and ran before they could put her down.. We moved to a town 3 hours away just so they wouldn't youthenize (as the sheriff put it) my dog.

I wouldn't have even thought of taking my belt of honestly I don't think. I mean I agree the guy should have jumped in and helped his dog, but I woulda probably picked up a stick or just decked the kitty.. idk, but the belt is a good idea.. especially with the buckles I wear.

R.Spencer
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a yellow lab. I don't know what she would do in a case like that and neither does anyone else. I am sick and tired of all the do gooders out there blaming everything else. This is nature at its finest. **** happens and animals react.

Rick
05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
You can sort of picture them out walking that dog around home when a house cat runs across the path. The old dog will stop and look up at them.

"No, H**l no. I've done it once and look what happened. It's your turn. You sick em if you want."

ClayPick
05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I’ve got 4 dogs, a Sheperd, a Husky, a Golden Retriever and a little fellow who is a bit of everything. They are in the woods constantly and they like to hunt ……. Dogs do that. They will go after anything unless I threaten them with their life ( in a nice way). Either way I would have no choice but to get a big stick and pull a Buford Pusser to protect them ……whether it would be stupid or not.

Bibow
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
with dogs like that you wouldnt need to protect them from any thing

sgtdraino
05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Extra food you don't have to carry, that comes to be eaten when you call it. :devil:

hoosierarcher
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
There are a few breeds of dogs that had they been the one these Kalifornians had with them would have killed the cougar. An anatolian shepard, a banndogge, an Argentian doggo all come to mind and then there are a few probables, an Akita, a mastiff(any variety) a pitbull, a full size airdale(sp)terrier and any larger mutt(if at least 25% of its ancestory was terrier.)
There are a lot of breeds that would die but fight to the end.
As for what Sgt Draino said....bigger dogs aren't good eatin' they tend to have stringy, tough meat. Small to medium size dogs are what they raise as meat animals around the world.

red lake
05-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I know a guy who attacked and killed a bear with only a knife in order to save his dog.

Dogs are many things to many different people.

Work Tools
Pets
Family
Nuisances
Food for people from Indiana

trax
05-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe I've mentioned here before that WonderMutt put a whuppin' on a raccoon once, that 'coon definitely had him on size and weight but WonderMutt took the day. I expect if he had to, he'd go up against a cougar or bear, hope he never has to, but I wouldn't let him finish that fight alone. If anything happened to WonderMutt, who'd navigate for me when I'm driving? I got my priorities right.

hoosierarcher
05-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I know a guy who attacked and killed a bear with only a knife in order to save his dog.

Dogs are many things to many different people.

Work Tools
Pets
Family
Nuisances
Food for people from Indiana

Hoosiers (people from Indiana) are not known for eating dogs. Breaded and fried calf's brain sandwiches yes; but not dog.

Rick
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh, yeah. Calve's brain sandwiches, uh, NO. I'm not eating anything that might be wondering what I might be thinking it tastes like. Not me. No.

nell67
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Hoosiers (people from Indiana) are not known for eating dogs. Breaded and fried calf's brain sandwiches yes; but not dog.
Yep.what he said,the only dog I have ever eaten is a hot dog.
I love asain food,but never go to asain restaraunts because too many have been shut down for serving dog and cat meat....

hoosierarcher
05-09-2009, 05:52 PM
What we Hoosiers are actually most famous for is our breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. The bad ones of those are good enough to cross a busy street for the best of them will make you slap your mama.