PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello

Recurve Bowyer
09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone on the forum.

I'm only 18 years old, but I LOVE the outdoors. My parents introduced me to the wilderness at a young age. They started by taking me hiking all over the western US. When I got a bit older, we paddled longer distances on canoe-camping trips in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota. This past summer, I spent 11 days on a canoe-camping trip in Quetico (the Canadian side of BWCA). It was so much fun! I've always wanted to be in a true survival situation, but being from Chicago (now in college in OH), I haven't gotten too many opportunities. When I'm older, I really want to live up in Alaska in a cabin in the woods. Well, thats my story so far...

Has anyone seen the movie "Into the Wild?" I haven't yet, but I hear its great! From other things I've heard, I would love to do exactly what Christopher McCandless did.

FVR
09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Welcome.

You build bows?

Sarge47
09-24-2007, 11:35 PM

I'm only 18 years old, but I LOVE the outdoors. My parents introduced me to the wilderness at a young age. They started by taking me hiking all over the western US. When I got a bit older, we paddled longer distances on canoe-camping trips in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota. This past summer, I spent 11 days on a canoe-camping trip in Quetico (the Canadian side of BWCA). It was so much fun! I've always wanted to be in a true survival situation, but being from Chicago (now in college in OH), I haven't gotten too many opportunities. When I'm older, I really want to live up in Alaska in a cabin in the woods. Well, thats my story so far...

Has anyone seen the movie "Into the Wild?" I haven't yet, but I hear its great! From other things I've heard, I would love to do exactly what Christopher McCandless did.

1st let me welcome you to the Wolf Pack. 2nd, the movie "Into The Wild?" is based on the book by Jon Krakauer, which I have read, BTW. Christopher McCandless had a diminished mental capacity and died because he wasn't properly prepared. He foolishly refused to do so. (Check it out on Amazon.com) It's not something that anyone here will recommend doing. No one willingly puts themselves into a true life or death situation. There are many reasons for this, one is the added danger it puts the "Search & Rescue" people into when they have to go and try to retrieve those folks. "Survival" is not the latest "Extreme Sport", it's life or death. You need to "re-think" you're plan. You learn survival to enjoy the outdoors and to be prepared for when disaster strikes. Sorry if this sounds negative, but you've just described a "negative" ambition.:(

FVR
09-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Actually, he died of starvation because of an enzyme disease he contracted by eating the seeds of the wild patatoe.

Good book, I'm reading it again, along with my annual reading of Dapiek Absaroka.

You're the same dumb pilgrim
l've been hearing for days...

...and smelling for !

How come you ain't been scalped?

Sarge47
09-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Actually, he died of starvation because of an enzyme disease he contracted by eating the seeds of the wild patatoe.

Good book, I'm reading it again, along with my annual reading of Dapiek Absaroka.

It's okay to dream.

There was more to it than that. He refused certain equipment and food. He was even offered a .22 rifle but wouldn't take it. "Just his knife and the clothes on his back." Not an old "mountain man" like yourself.:rolleyes:

FVR
09-24-2007, 11:52 PM
He was a dreamer.

He had a 22 rifle with him, matter of fact he shot a moose but unfortunately, the seeds had already done their work and the moose meat was not being absorbed into his body. It just passed through.

He made alot of mistakes as he was the dreamer. But, he survived for a long while in the US just bumming around.

The last gent who saw him, who dropped him off at the road he walked down had asked him if he would go to town with him and he would outfit him correctly. Alexander Supertramp refused this but did take the offered rubber boots and a few sandwich's. He also had 10lbs of rice in his pack. He had left the other 30 somewhere on the road.

Up until he got caught crossing the US/Mexico border, he carried a 357 Colt Python. He coveted this pistol until the border patrol agents took it.

FVR
09-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I had the same dream when I was 18. Backpack across Canada to Yellow Knife. Set up camp and trap and hunt.

Reality sometimes sucks. I joined the USMC and saw the world on Uncle Sam's dime. Been to 3rd world countries where folks were happy to have a piece of plywood for a roof.

I really don't ever want to be in the survival mode, would kinda suck.

You cook good rabbit, pilgrim.

Recurve Bowyer
09-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Welcome.

You build bows?

I started this past summer. One working bow so far. It isn't great, but I couldn't expect much for my first try. I'll be building another one soon I hope.

Sarge, I know that he died in the end. I'm not planning on walking into the wilderness (especially the Alaskan wilderness) completely unprepaired. I would love to spend a few weeks on my own in the woods with adequate (not excessive) supplies.

I guess I'm drawn to the idea of being completely self-sufficient. Christopher's story represents that to me in a way.

FVR
09-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Good luck on those bows, be prepared to break a few.

I've been building them for over 10 years now. Made my share ir recurves but have found my calling in sinew backed sticks.

owl_girl
09-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Welcome to the forum Recurve Bowyer. So you want to go to Alaska someday, that’s cool. I was raised in Alaska. Beautiful place. If you have any questions go ahead and ask me I’d be happy to answer what I can.

Recurve Bowyer
09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Good luck on those bows, be prepared to break a few.

I've been building them for over 10 years now. Made my share ir recurves but have found my calling in sinew backed sticks.
I'm expecting to break a few. For my first bow, I found a tree, got a stave from it and carved the bow out of it. It was a fun project for the summer. I don't expect the bow to last too much longer. The wood wasn't the best quality. It was more of a learning experience to see if I would enjoy bowyering as much as I do archery. It turns out that I do.
I've been fascinated by takedown recurves. I think one of them will be my next project.

Recurve Bowyer
09-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Welcome to the forum Recurve Bowyer. So you want to go to Alaska someday, that’s cool. I was raised in Alaska. Beautiful place. If you have any questions go ahead and ask me I’d be happy to answer what I can.

My family took a cruise up there about four years ago. Unfortunately, cruises are more of a look from a distance vacation. I was stuck only looking at nature, not fully experiencing it. Where in Alaska are you from?

owl_girl
09-25-2007, 12:27 AM
My family took a cruise up there about four years ago. Unfortunately, cruises are more of a look from a distance vacation. I was stuck only looking at nature, not fully experiencing it. Where in Alaska are you from?

Juneau and Anchorage. What part did you cruise?

owl_girl
09-25-2007, 12:41 AM
You are right about cruises. Though cruises are a great way to view Alaska’s scenery you don’t get to experience it to the full and you miss out on a lot of the culture.

Recurve Bowyer
09-25-2007, 09:32 AM
It was a 3 day land, 7 day ocean cruise. We flew into Fairbanks, spent a day there, then started heading south via train. Along the way, we stopped @ Denali. It was even sunny when we got there! After that, we continued to Anchorage and spent two days there. After that, we drove to Seward and boarded the ship. On the cruise, we stopped Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. You are right, we missed a lot of the culture.

Sarge47
09-25-2007, 12:25 PM

You want to learn Survival the RIGHT way and stay alive doing it then get with FVR, If you can find him sober.:rolleyes: He's one who can definately get you through!:cool:

owl_girl
09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
It was a 3 day land, 7 day ocean cruise. We flew into Fairbanks, spent a day there, then started heading south via train. Along the way, we stopped @ Denali. It was even sunny when we got there! After that, we continued to Anchorage and spent two days there. After that, we drove to Seward and boarded the ship. On the cruise, we stopped Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. You are right, we missed a lot of the culture.

I’d say that sounds like a lot of fun tough for a 10 day adventure.
I like Seward a lot, pretty town, so is all of southeast AK if you like the rain.