PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness "SPIRIT" sub-section or Filling the VOID With-in

Sourdough
05-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Do we need a Wilderness SPIRIT sub-section....??? This is not religion. It is about the essence of life, the spirit of the wilderness. It is what I feel many if not most come here for, if not consciously, sub-consciously. And if not to fill that void, at least to acquire the tools and skills, so as to be safe in the wilderness looking for that which is missing in there life, that gaping hole, the emptiness that can only be temporally filled by buying a new something that Madison Ave. advertising Say's will make your life whole, complete, and meaningful.

I have mixed feelings about this, as it is one more way for people to live vicariously. However vicarious it is at least more nurturing than a new car, new cell phone, or any of the thousands of "Happiness" pacifiers people buy to fill the void.

I feel people come to the forum looking for skills, tools, maps to guide them back to the wilderness, back to a sense of connection, a sense of oneness with everything, so as to not feel isolated, empty, and disconnected. Just look at what people say in there first introduction post. People are literally starving to DEATH for want of a profound spiritual connection, a desire to be at peace, to be.....to be. Or not to BE.

remy
05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Man has been fighting for thousands of years in order to falsify and corrupt truth.
He has worked for thousands of years at denying nature's laws, in order to invent some that do not bring balance.
He has forged a nature of steel, carved a nature of stone, and mixed a nature of concrete to defy time, but all those are caves which only produce desperation.

Man has invented words in order to lie to himself...in order to see a world differently than the way it really is...and in doing so, he has had to lie to his own children from birth, and tell them insane stories.

This is Man's disconnection.
I'll answer both your threads here...It is normal, almost expected that some individuals sense this disconnection. It is normal, almost expected to find the same individuals questioning the laws that brought us to this state...of mind ?

Just like you i see mostly two groups here.
One that senses the disconnection and intuitively look for answers in nature's laws.

And one that senses the disconnection, but is still governed by Man's laws and uses nature as a mean to escape, but still bring their crap with them...no matter where they go, and still do not know what they are escaping.

No matter which group you fall into, the word disconnection still appears.

DOGMAN
05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Remy, I think the disconnection is only a mental constraint. Humankind is not disconnected from the natural world. We like the rest of the species on the planet are just parts of a larger system... but, we fool ourselves into believeing we understand it through word play. The word play allows us to create distinction. But the fact is we are 100% organic members of the natural world- no matter what we think

remy
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Only a mental constraint ?

Are you sure about that ?

Rick
05-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Uh, many sub-forums do we need? One for the road less traveled, perhaps? One for items found at the end of the rainbow? One for those pesky Keebler elves?

trax
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Uh, many sub-forums do we need? One for the road less traveled, perhaps? One for items found at the end of the rainbow? One for those pesky Keebler elves?

Let's not get into that Keebler elves thing again. My seething hatred for those little BAS#@RDS has had me kicked off of other sites I don't mind tellin' ya!!

I don't need anymore sub-forums, personally and I spend most of my time in "civilization" keeping the "wilderness spirit within" to myself so that my contemporary peers won't realize what a whack job I am and become offended by my scathing contempt for most of society as I see it today, so I'll just continue to keep most of that stuff to myself here too, suffice to say that I'm more at home out there than in here, but obviously I do see a need to keep returning to society so I better be nice.

Rick
05-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Uh, Trax, your seething is slipping out a bit. Yeah, right there. Up a bit. You got it.

trax
05-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Uh, Trax, your seething is slipping out a bit. Yeah, right there. Up a bit. You got it.

thanks man, I'm gonna go have a smoke and lay down for awhile now. Someone contact my secretary and let my staff know that I'm indisposed?

DOGMAN
05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Only a mental constraint ?

Are you sure about that ?

Yes. I am sure. Ponder the whorf/sappir hypothesis.
We are prisoners of our own discourse, prisoners of our own words, prisoners of our own language.
Nature did not kick us out of the garden. God did not kick us out either.
Words sperate us- nothing else

Sourdough
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes. I am sure. Ponder the whorf/sappir hypothesis.
We are prisoners of our own discourse, prisoners of our own words, prisoners of our own language.
Nature did not kick us out of the garden. God did not kick us out either.
Words sperate us- nothing else

OUCH.....Nice Shot there Dog'Man. Have you ever read any of Fernando Flores books on linguistics??

Rick
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
That's twice I've read it and still don't know what he said. I'm sure it was cerebral and all. It's just late in the day for me and I'm kind of a morning person.

Schleprok
05-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Don't feel bad Rick. i read everything twice and still didn't get it all.
Could be I just got home after a 12 hour day on 3 hours sleep.
Not sure....

remy
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Well...i like it when people say "we are prisoners of our own language" (which i am not disputing by the way) and at the same time say they are sure of something.

Since when language is only a mental process ?

Anyway...i don't understand where you come from.
This is what i wrote :
"Man has been fighting for thousands of years in order to falsify and corrupt truth.
He has worked for thousands of years at denying nature's laws, in order to invent some that do not bring balance."

This is your response :
"Remy, I think the disconnection is only a mental constraint."

Uh...same all same all ?

But then...you write this !!!!
"Humankind is not disconnected from the natural world."

So you go from, we are disconnected due to a faulty mental realm (i agree), to, humankind is not disconnected (i disagree)...In two sentences !
Which one are you sure about again ?

Then you suggest (i am being nice here), that language is only a mental affair.
No...it is not.

Words do not separate anything.
They do not have that power.
And no...nature did not "kick us out", but Man did not make himself either !

In short...what the hell are you 2 talking about ?
...how can we even try to pretend what "the spirit of the wilderness" is...Hopeak ?
A nice dress to go dancing...but just a dress nonetheless.

Sourdough
05-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Remy, I discounted Jason's first sentence as inconsistent with the balance, and then embraced the rest of what he said, as I felt he was saying the same-thing you were saying. I tried to give you both some green thingies (Reputation) as I enjoyed both posts. However the Reputation machine demands I spread the love, Fricking machine, and thus I was thwarted.

remy
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Remy, I discounted Jason's first sentence as inconsistent with the balance, and then embraced the rest of what he said, as I felt he was saying the same-thing you were saying. I tried to give you both some green thingies (Reputation) as I enjoyed both posts. However the Reputation machine demands I spread the love, Fricking machine, and thus I was thwarted.

Don't worry about the reputation thingy old man...
Glad you enjoyed the posts.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
starting fires with a bow drill is one of those things for me. i have been working on it though . i do read other posts for info about the subjects that i need to work on. thats right hopeak.

DOGMAN
05-06-2009, 11:05 PM
someone much wiser than me once sang
...words to memorize, words hypnotize
words make my mouth exercise
words all failed the magic prize....

you know what I meant, I am just to much of a redneck to speak eloquently, and to darned lazy to type out my manifesto.

DOGMAN
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
OUCH.....Nice Shot there Dog'Man. Have you ever read any of Fernando Flores books on linguistics??

No, I haven't but, if I ever take up reading again I'll look into it. Whats his take on things?

thanks for the reputation point attempt. I think you've given me more points than anyone. At least someone out there understands my jibberish

Rick
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Well I'm sure the dogs do but they aren't much for giving rep.

Alpine_Sapper
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Well I'm sure the dogs do but they aren't much for giving rep.

That depends on who you trust.

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. ~Woodrow Wilson

I put more stock in my dog's opinion of someone than my neighbors, that's for sure.

Rick
05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I meant the dogs don't click the reputation button very often even though they understand what Jason is saying. You see, he's a musher. So the dogs have to understand what he's saying else they'd be stopped in the path goin', "Huh? Whatdhe say?" Hang on. Let me get a crayon.

Okay. This is Jason......

Sourdough
12-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Bump........

rebel
12-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Bump........

....some can and can't.

natertot
12-27-2011, 12:13 AM
What is all this nonsence about a void being filled by the wilderness? The only reason I hike, hunt, camp, and fish is because I enjoy those things. I also don't do them so I don't feel isolated. I do them for the isolation. It is the one arena in my life where I can often clear my head, think things through, pray without interuption or critisizim, and just enjoy the earth and the rest of God's creation. The only erason I come to the site is to learn and share knowledge and enjoy my interests with others. I know that I have yet met any one here, but I know that there are good folks in which to connect. I know that kyrat is 45 min away from me and Rick is just a few hours away. I hope that I can meet them one day. Not to fill a void, but to compliment the fulfillment I have already found.

Now, if I can figure out how to get this fire started in this cold weather, we can all roast marshmallows and sing coom-by-ya!

rebel
12-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Is a life self-justified in this forum a meaningful life?

BENESSE
12-27-2011, 12:39 AM
It would seem so, reb.

Winter
12-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Is a life self-justified in this forum a meaningful life?

Yes, as long as nobody bursts the bubble. :nono:

hahaha

gitaway
12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Ditto what natertot said "... isolation. It is the one arena in my life where I can often clear my head, think things through, pray without interuption or critisizim, and just enjoy the earth and the rest of God's creation. The only erason I come to the site is to learn and share knowledge and enjoy my interests with others. I know that I have yet met any one here, but I know that there are good folks in which to connect." The learning is grand. G