05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Need a little help here folks.
Got a gift from my brother,
CVA/Bobcat, .50 cal muzzle loader, percussion
missing a few parts, waiting on a reply to the company
it was disassembled for cleaning, then parts lost
missing the trigger and the cap nipple
gonna shoot this thing eventually, just doing my homework first
I'll start with this one and move up (down?) to a flinter.
any suggestions?
Like should I change the nipple for a different cap size?

SARKY
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Nipples are easy to obtain and replace. I always get stainless steel nipples, less prone to corrosion. The trigger will be tricky if the company doesn't have the part. A good gunsmith should be able to reproduce one for you. No you don't change nipple size in order to change cap size.

Schleprok
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks, thought I'd read/heard something about using shotgun primers for better ignition and needing special nipples. Appreciate the insight.

SARKY
05-05-2009, 12:37 AM
If you gun is set up for shotgun primers, that is a different bowl of worms. Is the nipple on the side of the barrel or is it in line at the very back end of the barrel?

Schleprok
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
No inlines for me. Sidelock.
A coworker told me that musket primers are better for ignition.
Dunno, but I'm learning as I go. :blushing:

FVR
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Don't know, been using no. 11's for over 30 years and they have just worked fine.

You can probably pick up a rep. trigger and nipples from CVA, Dixie, or Track of the Wolf.

Then you need to decide if you will be using that pyrodex crap or real black powder. You can get pyrodex at wallyworld and as s pro, don't try asking for blackpowder at either as they will look at you funny. "3F what? you use that in a muzzleloader?"

If you like to go cheap, you can make your patches from pillow ticking from wally world and also a mix of crisco for your lube.

Good Luck,

FVR

Schleprok
05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
CVA no longer carries the parts, they are available from Deer Creek (I have their phone number if anyone needs it). They also stock wooden stocks for the Bobcat.

SARKY
05-06-2009, 10:54 PM
FVR what do you have against pyrodex? In fact I use the P powder, it burns cleaner in my White Mountian Carbine. I touch it off with CCI #11s

FVR
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
What do I have agains pyrodex?

It's not blackpowder, does not act like blackpowder, does not smell like blackpowder.

It will never be fired in one of my rifles.

Had a neighbor who shot pyrodex in his civil war musket. I'm shooting my Hawkens and he is messing around with that rifle. He could not get a group or just plain shoot the gun. I told him to throw some blackpowder in that thing, he refused.

An hour later, he walks over, "can I use some of your 2F?" I measure out 60grains as that is what he was using pyrodex. He puts the lubed miniball down the barrel. I tell him to hold on, get a good grip, I will be standing over there.

He laughs.

He puts one of them big shotgun primers on, cocks it, I tell him, "get ready" he pulls the trigger and BANG! Nocks the target completely over.

He now uses blackpowder.