PDA

View Full Version : more unknown plants

snakeman
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Heres some more plants i cannot identify.I think the first two are rhubarb, but they may be burdock. Both are edible, but not the same parts. The third one is just a picture of the river birches and weeds along the creek. The fourth on is a flower with fuzzy leaves. The last on is one of the many fields of blackberries. All of the white flowers are blackberry bushes. I cant wait until the berries come out!

wareagle69
05-01-2009, 08:28 PM
first two are rhubarb
on burdock yu get a rosette then a stalk grows out of that in the second year but it does not contain the large leaves, nor is the stalk red

snakeman
05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks, Do you know what parts are edible and how to prepare it?

mountain mama
05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
rhubarb stems are delicious cooked (in PIE), but don't eat the leaves

laughingbeetle
05-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Uh.. The rhubarb I grew up with, you cook down the stems and use them with strawberries for pies. Wikipedia has a good picture of this type of rhubarb growing. (I haven't figured out how to post images yet.)

mountain mama
05-01-2009, 08:55 PM
you can also use it for jam or wine

Rick
05-02-2009, 07:30 AM
LB - Just follow the yellow brick road....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1318

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Heres some more plants i cannot identify.I think the first two are rhubarb, but they may be burdock. Both are edible, but not the same parts. The third one is just a picture of the river birches and weeds along the creek. The fourth on is a flower with fuzzy leaves. The last on is one of the many fields of blackberries. All of the white flowers are blackberry bushes. I cant wait until the berries come out!

mmmm.. yum poke weed. rhubarb is more red on the stem, and doesnt branch out the leaves are very simular in shape though rhubarb has red veins in the leaf. poke weed is a prefered pot herb in our house. when i lived in Mich. i found wild rhubarb. thats the only place ive ever seen grow in the woods when not cultivated. awsome pics!

snakeman
05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
How do you prepare poke. I use the berries for dye but thats all. I have heard only the young leaves are good cooked. What are the guidelines on how and when to eat it?

Rick
05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Here some great information on poke. I've stopped eating the stuff once I found out how toxic it really is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

bulrush
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I thought only poke berries were toxic? But I also heard that once the poke is more than 12 inches tall, every part is toxic. The berries are carcinogenic IIRC.