PDA

View Full Version : unknown plants

snakeman
05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I got a chance to take the camera down in the woods today so I took some pics of some plants that I coundn't ID. I think the first two might be black cohosh but i am not sure. They all have a main stem and 3 stems that come out from it. I have no idea what the third one is. It is just a smooth stem and a single leaf. The last one I am guessing is some kind of nettle. It has a fuzzy stem. I have some more plants but i will put those on another post. any ideas are welcome and valued.

mountain mama
05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
it's kinda hard to tell if it's black cohosh when its not blooming http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50048274/Black_Cohosh_P_E_.jpgblack cohosh is definitely something to keep in a woman's herbal medicine cabinet

snakeman
05-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I am just curious to know. I won;t have any use for it though:blushing:

laughingbeetle
05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Black cohosh and Juniper berries as a tea is excellent for cramps!! Better than any over-the-counter medication.

snakeman
05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Great, I have plenty of junipers.

crashdive123
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Nah....too easy.

mountain mama
05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
crash, maybe snakeman is just being sensitive to the needs of a woman ;)

crashdive123
05-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm sure you are correct. My apologies.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I got a chance to take the camera down in the woods today so I took some pics of some plants that I coundn't ID. I think the first two might be black cohosh but i am not sure. They all have a main stem and 3 stems that come out from it. I have no idea what the third one is. It is just a smooth stem and a single leaf. The last one I am guessing is some kind of nettle. It has a fuzzy stem. I have some more plants but i will put those on another post. any ideas are welcome and valued.

the first two pics are a what the folks in nc call feldspar it grows among the genseng up there, the heart shaped leaves looks like strawberry,the third plant is a devils apple,thorny with tomato like fruit.

snakeman
05-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks, do you know if they are edible?

mountain mama
05-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Feldspar is a rock formation, so I'm not sure what kind of plant that first one is.As for the strawberries, I guess you'll know if it produces fruit.
Devil's apple is Jimson weed and it is poisonous!

Rick
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
You kinda have to know that if something is named devil or killer or dierealfast or turnsgreenandfrothsatthemouth or anything along those lines are probably named that for a reason. So, yeah, you'd be safe in assuming devil's apple would be poisonous. I'm just sayin'.....

vthompson
05-02-2009, 03:32 PM
You should never, ever eat a wild plant that you are not 100% sure about. And that is after you have triple checked it or ask someone that you know who knows for sure whether it is edible or not.

Rick
05-02-2009, 04:51 PM
or unless someone double dog dares you. I mean, a double dog dare is the law, right?

wareagle69
05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
You should never, ever eat a wild plant that you are not 100% sure about. And that is after you have triple checked it or ask someone that you know who knows for sure whether it is edible or not.

dude ,you definatley do not want to go foraging with me then, i know all the poisonous plants around so anything else i just sample away at

vthompson
05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
The last person that told me that, was the guy that I visited in the hospital last summer. He was sure about what he was eating also, so I wouldn't get to cocky if I were you.

wareagle69
05-03-2009, 07:23 AM
not cocky at all. i am or have trained with two of the best in the world at wild edibles and also spend bush time with an old lady who lives in the bush and a native that is trying to revive interst in the old ways to his people. i don't know allot but what i do know are the deadlies and plant families for my area, if you look at publication 505 from the ontario government or botany in a day by thomas j eppel they both show how to break down the plants into families very well. also as with any plant or mushroom you only eat a bit at a time to begin with(not for the uet) but for your own biology can you personally take the plant and how much, and if i 'm wrong, espanoal has a nice hospital for you to come see me at

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I camped out over nite in the swamp this weekend and found a patch of yellow mustads growing out there.

Rick
05-03-2009, 02:52 PM
There are a lot of places in this world I will camp. In valleys, on mountains, in meadows. Shoot, I'll even camp near poison ivy. But I would never ever camp in a swamp in Florida. Never. Did I mention never? I have no desire to wake up inside another creature. Seriously, did I mention never?

mountain mama
05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
My first husband and I camped out on the beach on the gulf of Mexico once, only to be awakened by a forest ranger early the next morning. He said, "Come out of your tent slowly. Don't make any sudden movements." Turns out there was a 5 ft. gator right next to our tent lol

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I used a cypress tree and a few fallen logs to make a corner for myself. the plants that i found were Yellow mustard, prickly lettuce,oyster mushrooms,fox tail grass, green briar vine,palm (hearts),and citrus bush(not in season).

snakeman
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I am just now trying to get into foraging. So far I have seen may apples, sassafrass, blackberries, pine, maple, jack in the pulpit, bracken fern, green onions, dandelions, great mullein, pokeweed, and my favorite is wood sorrel. I have not tried most of them but I want to.