PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps Foraging Database Mashup

Chris
04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.wildcrafting.net/forage/

Please, guys, run through this software and add locations (real ones mind you) and post here any bugs or problems. (your login is the same as the forum by the way)

For an example, I added an asparagus location near my house.

http://www.wildcrafting.net/forage/plant/1/

I know some of the text formatting is wonky by the way.

wareagle69
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
so is this in addition to or instead of? what is the benefit of this, bear with me i'm a little slow

crashdive123
04-30-2009, 08:55 PM
so is this in addition to or instead of? what is the benefit of this, bear with me i'm a little slow

If you're traveling or buggin out and need to know where the grocery store is.....

crashdive123
04-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Seriously though, this probably explains the intent a bit better. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6298

wareagle69
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
ya ya smarty pants

crashdive123
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bSTi1ZQKpzA/SX6n7CvlpaI/AAAAAAAAAMU/WCqeWRPNkjY/s320/smarty-pants-new-front-page.jpg

Rick
04-30-2009, 09:57 PM
WE - I posted jewel week some time back. I went in this afternoon and put a pin on a US map where I found it. As other folks place pins for jewel weed we'll start seeing the areas where jewel weed can be found (in theory). The other benefit is if you happen to be in an area you'll know what's there. Look at the top of the flower post and you see three tabs. One of them is Location (I think). Click on it and it would display a map of where the plant was found.

Chris
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Eventually, ideally, it'll become the world's largest database of locations for finding wild edibles. We just gotta get people using it.

You'll be able to go and see everywhere X plant grows. Or you'll be able to go and look and see all plants that grow in your area.

wareagle69
04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
is that what we want, the largest database of where to find edibles?need to process that a while, don't mind teaching folks, but hmmmm.

Chris
04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Where you marked that jewelweed rick, did you zoom in all the way with the satellite view? Cause man, Google has some really high resolution over that area. You can zoom in far enough to see individual trees.

Rick
04-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Think of WE - We're talkin' Worlds Largest. Right here in our own little forum. And you have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor. But wait, if you add plants right now, we'll throw in your very own access ID and Password to the database and that's not all, if you're the 15th caller you ..... Oooops. Sorry. I got carried away.

Rick
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Took it down to the max. The database wouldn't let me add at a high level. I had to zoom all the way down.

Chris
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
That is by design, accuracy is fundamental.

Ken
05-01-2009, 05:12 AM
This is neat! I'll play around with it when I'm awake. Just pulled another all-nighter in the office and I'm going to bed for at least an hour. Damn, to be young again.........:innocent:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
i will be spending time in there! i have some good plant pics to load (i will have to them out of my stack of flash cards).

Alpine_Sapper
05-01-2009, 10:12 AM
is that what we want, the largest database of where to find edibles?need to process that a while, don't mind teaching folks, but hmmmm.

Sure, why not? I got wi-fi in the truck, so hitting the db remotely shouldn't be an issue. Should be able to pull up and get a pretty good indicator of what WE I can trip over.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-01-2009, 10:20 AM
a most exelent tool, wi fi . my lap top just keeps finding ways to camping with me. is this forum available on the I phone?

Chris
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm writing an etiquette article for people, explaining they shouldn't just go out and rape and pillage the forest.

There are two ways to use the site. You can use it to share locations.

OR, you can use it to keep a record of your locations, by marking your marks private no one else will be able to see them.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-02-2009, 07:13 AM
thats a good idea Chris, if i had use of the database for the last few years i could have an awsome easy to share map of my colonizeing plants hand book, i became interested in plant colony structures after realizing that jerusalem artichokes only grow in sitnging nettle patches(urtica). i have to make time to get busy working on that!

wareagle69
05-02-2009, 08:08 AM
thats a good idea Chris, if i had use of the database for the last few years i could have an awsome easy to share map of my colonizeing plants hand book, i became interested in plant colony structures after realizing that jerusalem artichokes only grow in sitnging nettle patches(urtica). i have to make time to get busy working on that!

care to explain that in more detail? not sure i have found that yet

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
they co-inhabit togather like the chicken of the woods mushroom live with the oak tree. each one breaks down compounds and the other uses it. unable to support themselves,they work with each other to survive. i have never seen chokes without urtica growing right in there with them. New England has this common structure of inhabtiation with urtica and chokes. the sun flower like chokes reach up to 6 or 8 feet, the nettle reaches 3 to 4 feet, the urtica being the under story plant surruonds the chokes in the center. chokes look like sun flowers with a single small yellow flower at the top. they bloom in early fall. if you find urtica you have also found chokes!

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-02-2009, 09:30 AM
care to explain that in more detail? not sure i have found that yet

they co colonize. they form a micorzial relationship, or they break down compounds, and share

Chris
05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
By the way people. There is going to be a contest on the site this summer where you get points for locations you mark and pictures you upload and plants you add. Prizes include a lot of books, including an autographed Les Stroud book, knives, and whatever else I can find. Any things you add now (or already added) will count towards the prize totals (it'll all be retroactive).

mountain mama
05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
bribery, i shoulda known he would resort to bribery *mumbles*

Chris
05-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Anyone else have comments? Please go give the thing a try. Only rick has marked something people! Don't let him get away with being the onlyone!

Rick
05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes. I am superior. There is an air of...well, never mind that...I am superior.

oneraindog
05-19-2009, 07:50 PM
ok so sometimes the obvious escapes me...how exactly do you pin a location on the map?

Rick
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
We have a hold on that at the moment. I'll have my people call your people as soon as we figure it out. Seriously, I'm stumped. I've got a note in to Chris.

Ken
05-19-2009, 08:14 PM
ok so sometimes the obvious escapes me...how exactly do you pin a location on the map?

Just ask Rick. He's a MASTER of the obvious! :innocent:

"Banned." I just know he's going to use the word "Banned."

Rick
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
No need. You did it for me.

Chris
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
There was a bug, but it was fixed last night. The pinning should be working appropriately.

There are two ways. You browse with the map to the spot, zoom in all the way to be sure (in much of the country you can zoom in to the point of seeing individual trees), then mark it.

OR, if you have a GPS device, visit the location and write down the GPS coordinates, then you can mark it that way.

Chris
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Alright people it is fixed, play with it, add some plant locations you know, please?

The contest will be this, and any stuff you add now will count.

Every action gets you a point, marking a location, uploading a picture, adding a new plant.

At the end of October the chap with the most points get first pick on the prizes, the chap with the second most gets second pick, etc.

The prizes are (mostly books):

Autographed copy of Survive! by Les Stroud
A Wall of White by Jennifer Woodlief - true story of avalanch survival
Small Scale Grain Raising by Gene Logsdon - guide to growing and processing your own grain
The Winter Harvest Handbook by Eliot Coleman - guide to growing produce year round, even in cold climates
Stuart Robertson's Tips on Organic Gardening
Stuart Robertson's Tips on Container Gardening
Gaia's Garden
Some field dressing knife kits

I'll be posting more about each prize eventually, and I hope to scare up more. There will be enough for quite a few people to win something.

Any stuff you add now will count, even though it is not officially launched yet.

Pal334
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Chris,, I just added (I think) two plant locations, cranberry and blueberry in NJ. THey are not showing. Does it take some time for it to process? Followed directions and it seems to accept my entries

Chris
05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
No, it should happen instantly, can you go over what you did? Maybe you didn't finish the process & save it.

gryffynklm, is there really a plantain growing in a parking lot north of chicago?

Also, you don't copy and paste the page info into the description box, that is not for a description of the plant, but for a description of the location.

gryffynklm
05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Chris, it must operator error. I have edited the location. Thanks for the clarification to the Notes box.

Pal334
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Ooops,, operator error here also. Now they are there

Chris
05-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Chris, it must operator error. I have edited the location. Thanks for the clarification to the Notes box.
Yup, you've got it now.

Chris
05-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Ooops,, operator error here also. Now they are there
Now you know, the goal isn't to mark commercial farms, but wild growing locations.

oneraindog
05-24-2009, 08:29 PM
ok a few questions.

do plants that are extremely common count? i think i could win this thing just by pinning all the places ive seen dandelion within an 80 miles radius of where i live.
same for black berry bushes which are rampant in the puget sound area

how "edible" are you talking here? i know of a few skunk cabbage spots which is "edible" but it is not necessarily PALATABLE.

if i hike 6 miles and see 15 different locations for plantain what is the best way to indicating its location without pinning 15 locations?

sorry if some of these are obvious. like i said im bad at that. and just want to be sure.

oneraindog
05-24-2009, 09:21 PM
also i assume urban locales are acceptable right? even if its in our back yard?

Chris
05-24-2009, 09:34 PM
also i assume urban locales are acceptable right? even if its in our back yard?
I wouldn't do your backyard, the point is places to find free food, and unless you want people foraging in your backyard, probably not a good idea.

The public park near your house though, ya sure. Public land in urban areas.

Chris
05-24-2009, 09:38 PM
ok a few questions.

do plants that are extremely common count? i think i could win this thing just by pinning all the places ive seen dandelion within an 80 miles radius of where i live.
same for black berry bushes which are rampant in the puget sound area

I would say no on dandelion, yes on black berry bushes. Public land, road sides, etc. Keep it to that.

how "edible" are you talking here? i know of a few skunk cabbage spots which is "edible" but it is not necessarily PALATABLE.
If it isn't something that you think someone might seek out, disregard it. I could see someone driving around town picking bushels of black berries and making jam to last a year, but that tastes good.

if i hike 6 miles and see 15 different locations for plantain what is the best way to indicating its location without pinning 15 locations?

You could mark the most prominent location and say "all along this path, north and south" in the description. You could do the same with a couple key locations, or you could mark them all. As a general rule of thumb. I wouldn't mark a second location if it is visible from the first location.

These are good questions, I will make a FAQ for the site.

oneraindog
05-24-2009, 10:07 PM
ok hoepfully last of the wwhining today.

i posted a locale for plantain. but in the name part i put my name (oneraindog) instead of the plant name.

1. that needs to be fixed.
2. where do i put my name for the "found by" section in the notes for the map marker?
3. should i use my real name or my forum name?

also i posted wood sorrel. but because im dumb i posted anyway even though i still dont know how to put my name on there. can i still get credit for those?
are marks weve made editable by us?

and thanks for the help with the other questions!!!

Chris
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Your name is automatically put in there by the software, you do not need to do it.

Chris
05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
..except yours wasn't, so that is a bug. What browser do you use btw?

Rick
05-25-2009, 09:38 AM
And don't forget, you can mark the site as private if you want. So if you have that huge cache of blackberries you stumbled upon right next to the mulberry trees and persimmons and don't want to share them (no one would do that, would you?) you can preserve the location by adding it and marking it private.

oneraindog
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
..except yours wasn't, so that is a bug. What browser do you use btw?

i use a mac with OSx

oneraindog
05-25-2009, 02:15 PM
So if you have that huge cache of blackberries you stumbled upon right next to the mulberry trees and persimmons and don't want to share them (no one would do that, would you?)

no. it seems silly to do that. i mean i can understand why but i would like to think this is about information sharing...and winning :)

besides privacy is what journals are for heh

oneraindog
05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
sorry for the crazy barage of questions but here goes another volley

i also found mullein (or what i think is mullein i will get second/third opinions first. once i figure out how to get the images off my phone) but mullein is not in the database. i would like it to be added but i dont know very much about it. certainly wouldnt be able to write anything informative that im not ripping from wikkipedia. what can i do to get it added?

Chris
05-25-2009, 05:13 PM
private markers won't give any points anyways.

oneraindog
05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
so i got mullein loaded into the database but for some reason the photo i tried to load isnt showing up.
??

oly
05-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Saved to my favorites

Chris
05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
you found a bug oneraindog, I'll delete it and let you try again. Sorry about that.

Chris
05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
here is what you wrote by the way.

Scientific Name: Verbascum Thapsus
Common Name(s): Candleflower, Higtaper, Mullien
Edible: yes
Medicinal: yes
Parts Used: root, stem, leaf

Click to add new locations, pictures, or common names. (http://www.wildcrafting.net/forage/addtothis.php?itemid=138) oneraindog
27 May, 2009

biennial plant. first year the leaves form a basal rosette of soft leaves that are fuzzy on both sides, long oval and greyish green to green. the second year the plant will form a tall flower stalk reaching as high as 6 feet. the flowers bloom from late spring to early fall in a long tight spike. the flowers are yellow with 5 radially symmetrical petals about 1-1/2 inches across. flowers give way to globular fruits in 5 parted woody capsules opening toward the tips. the seed stalk is persistent and stands out easily in winter. plant is found in old feilds, roadsides, disturbed areas and grows especially well in alkaline soils so its especially common near the sea shore. Mullein tea provides vitamins B-2, B-5, B-12, and D, choline, sulfur, magnesium, mucilage, saponins, and other active substances. the tea is best known as one of the most effective and safest herbal cough remedies. it is an expectorant and a good tonic for the lungs and mucus membranes. infusions can be used to sooth colds, emphysema, asthma, hay fever, and whooping cough. strain the infusion through a cloth as the hairs may become stuck in the throat cause more discomfort. labratory tests have shown that it is an anti-inflammatory with antibiotic capabilities and it will inhibit the tuberculosis bacillus. mullein can be dried and smoked to treat asthma and bronchitis. the tea is also an astringent and demulcent, good for diarrhea and it has been used in compresses to treat hemorrhoids. the leaves can be heated in a poultice to treat arthritis. a tincture of the flowers will sooth migrain headaches and oil extract from the flowers can be used to treat ear infections but use cautiously. due to high levels of coumarin and rotenone the seeds should not be consumed but they were used as a paralytic fish poison by native americans.