PDA

View Full Version : Entry level airgun for small game hunting?

MatthewnOK
04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I'd really like to have a airgun that is powerful enough for killing small game (up to say a rabbit). It would be a quieter weapon if you had to bug out, although my SKS would still come with me. Any reccomendations for good deals?
ARG wrong forum move it please!

Beo
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah just use a .22

crashdive123
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM
I bought one recently at Wal Mart.

MatthewnOK
04-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah just use a .22

That would be a good idea, but I always need to have an excuse to buy another gun! (And the neighbors PHREAK out every time we kill a rat/possum we catch in a live trap) even if we use a .22 so this would also be useful for that.

Rick
04-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Everyone says something around 1000 ft. per sec. I just picked up a Marksman this past week-end at a garage sale. The specs show it at around 550 ft per sec. I don't know why that wouldn't knock a rabbit down. You just can't shoot them as far out.

I would think a lot depends on your dollar range. From what I've seen you can drop some change on the match guns.

Alpine_Sapper
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
1000 fps @ Academy is ~$150. The powerline I left with my kids is only 750fps @ 10 pumps, and I agree with Rick. It's supposed to be accurate to 298m. Who's going to use a pellet gun that far out? But in the back yard? Sure, I bet it would take out a rabbit or a squirrel. You wanna make sure you hit it in a vital location, but if you can't hit what you aim at shouldn't be shooting at something live yet.

EDIT: Daisy Powerline 8801S, some BB's and Pellets ran ~$40

crashdive123
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
The one I got was less than $150 (about 125-130 I think) It's the Beeman dual caliber. With the .177 barrel it shoots 1000 fps. With the .22 barrel it shoots 800 fps. It's a break barrel - a bit stiff to cycle, but shoots well.

Beo
04-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Well if we're really talking about this, I go for the highest power I could afford.
Or (in my warped mind try this) buy a paintball marker (cause there markers not guns) and drop in some steel ball bearings that fit the caliber size and have two in one for the cheapest price. Or get a wrist rocket sling shot and use the ball bearings, now those wrist rockets are some real fun.
Beo,

LudwigVan
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
The one I got was less than $150 (about 125-130 I think) It's the Beeman dual caliber. With the .177 barrel it shoots 1000 fps. With the .22 barrel it shoots 800 fps. It's a break barrel - a bit stiff to cycle, but shoots well.

I saw the same one at walmart and really liked the looks of it, what do you think of it?

crashdive123
04-30-2009, 07:39 PM
For the money I like it. The sights, while accurate are made from molded plastic, so you've gotta be careful. The scope (haven't used it) seems fairly cheap as well. I does shoot nice (haven't put the .22 barrel on yet).

Alpine_Sapper
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Well if we're really talking about this, I go for the highest power I could afford.
Or (in my warped mind try this) buy a paintball marker (cause there markers not guns) and drop in some steel ball bearings that fit the caliber size and have two in one for the cheapest price. Or get a wrist rocket sling shot and use the ball bearings, now those wrist rockets are some real fun.
Beo,

It's a serious consideration, really.

I mean, some of us are not allowed firearms. Airguns don't qualify, so I can still hunt with it even if my 2nd ammendment rights have been trampled by the justice system because I was convicted of a felony. Not that that's the case, but I can see it from friends perspectives.

Besides, if firearms are outlawed, you could probably get away with a bb gun.

As well, it's a lot easier to get proficient with a pellet gun than a slingshot. Not that I disagree, I have both,(and blowguns, spears, bows...I can go on...) but you have to admit there's more skill involved in taking game with a slingshot (or sling, for that matter) than a pellet gun.

I've thought about the paintball thing too. Or freezing them. I just wonder how the CO2 will launch the heavier ball bearing. I don't own a marker so I haven't had the opportunity to test it.

Oh, and the final points I can make in support of a pellet gun, they are cheap, small, ammo is plentiful and cheap, and for $50 to $150 you can make a nice backup to your food supply in a BOB and not have to worry about breaking any regulations. Oh, and relatively silent. :)

crashdive123
04-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Many years ago while teaching SSET (shipboard security engagement tactics) we'd use some of the ships (inactive) at the shipyard for our training. We used the old (new at the time) paint guns - large paint ball. Sometimes we'd head into the mountains on weekends and play. Large, frozen paint balls fly just fine....and hurt like a son of a gun.

Alpine_Sapper
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Nowadays if that was the route I was going for self defense was a paintball marker I'd use the capsicum rounds.

Rick
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I think all the things we've discussed about .22lr aptly apply to pellet. Minus the range of course. It's cheap to shoot, quiet, can take small game and you can pack a lot of ammo.

Alpine_Sapper
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
I think all the things we've discussed about .22lr aptly apply to pellet. Minus the range of course. It's cheap to shoot, quiet, can take small game and you can pack a lot of ammo.

Agreed on everything except that .22lr still qualifies as a firearm. Does anyone know if they were confiscating pellet guns in the firearm seizures after Katrina? I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where it was an issue?

LudwigVan
05-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Agreed on everything except that .22lr still qualifies as a firearm. Does anyone know if they were confiscating pellet guns in the firearm seizures after Katrina? I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where it was an issue?

They probably weren't sposed to but knowing the way these things work they probably would rush in and just snatch anything that looked like a gun, especially if it was with your other guns in a safe.

LudwigVan
05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
For the money I like it. The sights, while accurate are made from molded plastic, so you've gotta be careful. The scope (haven't used it) seems fairly cheap as well. I does shoot nice (haven't put the .22 barrel on yet).

Ahh, well I have shot an old (maybe 80's?) beeman break action airgun, that's still accurate enough today to take squirrel. It had metal parts though, guess like everything else they don't make em like they used to.

The thing about interchangeable barrels that had my interest is that you could take potentially both barrels off making it easier to store or carry or whatever. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd feel funny about doing that to a regular air rifle.

Alpine_Sapper
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Most of the firearm seizures I saw on youtube were done on people moving, whether car or boat. There were a few from homes, but not that many. They weren't *supposed* to confiscate them at all. It's a violation of our rights. But NOPD didn't care. They just wanted control of the situation.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd really like to have a airgun that is powerful enough for killing small game (up to say a rabbit).

The Daisy ten pump .077 cal. is what i use. the co2 models arent much better.and there is not any canisters to carry, one fill of bb's will last for an extended campout.:drool:

Mischief
05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I'd really like to have a airgun that is powerful enough for killing small game (up to say a rabbit). It would be a quieter weapon if you had to bug out, although my SKS would still come with me. Any reccomendations for good deals?

Look for 800fps min. and break open.no co2 for bug out,and you will be set for small fur and feather game.

a1signguy
05-11-2009, 07:45 PM
I had a crossman 2200 back when I was a kid and it shot 22cal pellets. I killed many squirels and rabbits with it. You really have to get a head shot though. IMO anything that shoots a BB or .177 cal pellet is just too small to get a clean kill. You will most likely just injure the animal and it will run off and die someplace else, especially rabbits. As far as .22 air rifle being illeagle, I believe only a couple of states have laws on this and a simple call to the sherrifs office should get you the answers you need. I would also think felons would be ok on this as air guns are not firearms in most states, they are in Jersey, even cheap spring airsoft guns that can't knock over a cup will get you locked up. A good .22cal pellet gun will do the trick for small game though.

crashdive123
05-11-2009, 07:50 PM
A1signguy - How about shooting on over to the Introduction section http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 and tell us about yourself. Thanks.

Mischief
05-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Take a peak a boo at airgunfood.com