PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hunting with hand weapons

Yuma Kutsuu
04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
So I am wanting to learn how to hunt with a knife or a spear. Can anyone point me in the direction of some advice or give me advice themselves. I realy want to learn how to track and hunt with basic tools if this is at all possible

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
So I am wanting to learn how to hunt with a knife or a spear. Can anyone point me in the direction of some advice or give me advice themselves. I realy want to learn how to track and hunt with basic tools if this is at all possible

for small game i normally use a throwing stick(pine burl) or a blow gun(cane).
a knife can be thrown or fitted to a spear shaft, if you are hunting pigs or other mid sized game. more effective in most cases than trapping hand hunting isnt that difficult if your weapons are sharp enough,heavy enough,and you have an opertunity to ambush the prey. good luck!

Pict
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Hunting with a knife, spear, sling, or atlatl is difficult because the weapon does not store energy. What that means is that you have a high degree of motion to power up the weapon to make the kill. A bow is vastly superior in that you can power up the weapon when possible without spooking the game and release when the shot is right. This is a huge difference giving you many more options in the shots you can take and an advantage in the relative success rate for those shots. The bow (or gun) enables you to hunt well alone from ambush.

Spear hunting (hand thrown or atlatl) is a team sport and the most effective tactics involve many people driving the game towards some form of barrier or snag that holds the animal. Dogs are also used in this type of hunting to chase and hold the animal for dispatch with the knife or spear.

If hunting alone for large game with a spear the drop shot is the most effective. The hunter is in a tree stand directly above a bait source. The heavy spear is held by the base of the shaft pointed down at the bait. The animal walks under the hunter and he silently aims the spear and drops it. This gives the hunter economy of motion and a close shot at game that is distracted by the bait.

I'm not saying that a lone hunter can't stalk and kill with a spear just that it is extremely difficult. Mac

Yuma Kutsuu
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah so far the spear dropping seems like it would be the most effective. Killing an animal with a hand weapon would only be a great idea if the oppurtunity presents itself, or so I would assume.

Too bad there are no boars where I live... biggest thing we have are Coyote-Wolf hybrids and something tells me they are not deliciouse. Other than that we have squirels and rabbits, the latter being hard to see let alone hunt.

tsitenha
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Kutsuu san, your in PEI, blow guns are prohibited, consider that this is an international posted/read board.

Check your provincial regulations....

Gray Wolf
04-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Good elucidating Mac!

Yuma Kutsuu
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I would not want to use a blow gun regardless. I doubt my acuracy would be very sufficient in hunting what little we have to hunt.

THough you are right I should check my provincial laws and have been trying to get a source on that. I suppose it's about time to look again. Thanks for the advice.

tsitenha
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Also look into the the federal firearm acts for more info, as to what is legal, restricted, prohibited and so on.

Ole WV Coot
05-04-2009, 07:39 PM
You want to learn to track & hunt huh. First you learn to identify different tracks, learn to track humans to animals. Hunting is a different thing. First you learn to stalk, identify and above all get close enough to whatever you're after. The weapon is your choice. If you can stalk or stay quiet in a tree over a trail even a rock works. #1 is identify tracks #2 learn stalking very very well #3 your choice of weapon.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I used to be nervous about hunting with hand weapons,i feared that they wouldnt do the job. i learned to use splinters from fallen trees and pine burls and other sharp or hard and heavy woods to hunt with.thats all you got to do. then get you self in the places where you may see the animal,(near a lake shore for instance).if you need an animal take it, but dont waste any thing (eat even the bones).the eyes have always been a special gift for friends.

Alpine_Sapper
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
.the eyes have always been a special gift for friends.

*shudder* I think the only friends I have that would appreciate that are canine.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
the inuit will offer you an eye ball! seal eyes are a prized food to them,

Yuma Kutsuu
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
the inuit will offer you an eye ball! seal eyes are a prized food to them,

They can keep their eyeballs and I don't think I would eat the bones. If they were big enough I would make things out of them however.