PDA

View Full Version : planned food and supply drops--is it cheating?

corndog-44
09-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I think a backpacking trip must include at least one overnight stay in the wilderness (otherwise it is a day hike). Many backpacking trips last just a weekend (one or two nights), but long-distance expeditions may last weeks or months, sometimes aided by planned food and supply drops.

My question is: Do you think it's cheating to be aided by planned food and supply drops while on a long-distance wilderness trip?

Nomad
09-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't see how that would be cheating. survival is not a game. Do you think native Americans or mountain men had hidden food caches?

wareagle69
09-23-2007, 06:53 PM
what is your intent?

are you hiking the appalachian trail for the challenge then you need supply drops. are you trying to live off the land in a remote area then you might want a back up in case of a real emergency. if you are practicing a week long event living off the land close to civilization then you can go hungry and try harder, it only matters what you think not others, if i,m hiking thetrans canada i am abslultley going to have resupply points.

always be prepared..

corndog-44
09-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't see how that would be cheating. survival is not a game. Do you think native Americans or mountain men had hidden food caches?

Not while they were on the move. In the villages or at the base camp, I think they did.

I see a difference between living in the wilderness and survival. Neither one is a game.

Nomad
09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I read a story some years ago about Indian messengers that travelled many miles would have supply points along there journey. kept stocked with basic foodstuffs, jerky, dried fish or whatever. have you priced dried fish in the grocery? that stuff is expensive. I wonder what the old timers would think of it?

corndog-44
09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I read a story some years ago about Indian messengers that travelled many miles would have supply points along there journey. kept stocked with basic foodstuffs, jerky, dried fish or whatever. have you priced dried fish in the grocery? that stuff is expensive. I wonder what the old timers would think of it?

I have never priced dried fish. I think the old timers would have a tear in their eye if they knew that many folks today buys what they made their-self.

criticalmass
09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't quite understand this question. If you are practicing a survival situation you are PLAYING survival. If you are really in a survival situation, there will be no one to drop supplies/food. If you are on an expedition, then it is not a survival situation, it has a planned purpose. This question seems like you are trying to validate something (yourself?????).........???????????????